Display screen total failure on 328i 2014 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:17 PM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
Display screen total failure on 328i 2014

Hi everyone. I have heard there is a global CID failure that cost a fortune to fix. Mine has been acting up since the day I bought BMW 328i 2014. Occasionally the screen would go black and display only BMW logo but in a few hours it would fix itself. The dealer looked at it twice and couldn't find the issue or that was what they had said to me b/c the car was on warranty but they were able to restart the screen and it would work for awhile. Now it's broken again and the car is not on warranty anymore. I took it to a private BMW repair shop. They tried to reboot it several different ways but the screen would not come up. They did detect CID prob that would cost me $3,300 to fix. Does anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions? They told me I could take it to the dealer but it wouldn't make any difference. Thank you.

Last edited by new2bmw2014; 04-12-2019 at 04:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:22 PM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,282
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 View Post
Hi everyone. I have heard there is a global CID failure that cost a fortune to fix. Mine has been acting up since the day I bought BMW 328i 2014. Occasionally the screen would go black and display only BMW logo but in a few hours it would fix itself. The dealer looked at it twice and couldn't find the issue or that was what they had said to me b/c the car was on warranty but they were able to restart the screen and it would work for awhile. Now it's broken again and the car is not on warranty anymore. I took it to a private BMW repair shop. They tried to reboot it several different ways but the screen would not come up. They did detect CID prob that would cost me $3,300 to fix. Does anyone else have this problem and have any suggestions? They told me I could take it to the dealer but it wouldn't make any difference. Thank you.
I am confused, are you talking about a 328I, or an I3? You mention both of them in your post.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:26 PM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
I am sorry I meant 328i year 2014
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-11-2019, 01:58 PM
God-Follower's Avatar
God-Follower God-Follower is offline
Achtung! Hochspannung!
Location: Pacific Northwest
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1,282
Mein Auto: 2018 i3, F10 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 View Post
I am sorry I meant 328i year 2014
Gotcha. Moved the thread to the F30 subforum

Good luck!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2019, 02:30 PM
John MS John MS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,630
Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
My 2014 328i had the same symptoms when the car was one month old. The fix was loading a software update and it has not crashed since. I haven't heard of a global CJD failure. I would suggest that you find a different dealer.

Last edited by John MS; 04-11-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 PM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
My 2014 328i had the same symptoms when the car was one month old. The fix was loading a software update and it has not crashed since. I haven't heard of a global CJD failure. I would suggest that you find a different dealer.
I think they updated it the 1st or the 2nd time i brought it and it didn't solve the issue completely. This time the shop called BMW support and ask for update but they said there was none. So you were just lucky apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2019, 03:13 PM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
I wonder if there is a part that needs to be replaced like a module that cost way less than the whole CID. The BMW support said that this CID has high failure rate. So if i buy a new CID for $2,000 I have a high chance of running into the same problem. Can I install a used CID or is there something else I can try to bring the screen back on? I hate to drive my car without radio for another several years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Jerome718 Jerome718 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Hey this happened to my 2014 328i recently as well. I replaced the head unit myself with the android 10.25" touchscreen and now it doesn't go black because I'm using the android operating system "technically" to play my music but now every 3 minutes exactly, my sound stops for about 10 seconds. Now this radio is suppose to also show the screen of the original interface (if that's the right terminology) but mine is still stuck in the BMW Logo so I cannot actually access the idrive if that's what it's called. I'll show pics how I can use the android part of the radio I installed and how i can't access the original interface of the BMW because it shows the BMW logo and reboots just like the old head unit I replaced and now I can't even set my clock or anything, so for a fact I know the head unit isn't or wasn't bad. I'm thinking it's this part # (65-12-9-270-373) but idk yet it's expensive. I'll try it out though but I'll show pics. The first 5 pics are just the android side of the radio and how it looks so you all can see. The next photo that shows BMW is the state the "idrive" or "connected drive" is stuck in. Following that is a pic of some things I should be able to access but can't because it's stuck in BMW LOGO Mode and it reboots and blacks out on that screen. Not the whole unit but just the bmw reboots but on my old radio, the whole thing blacked out because there was no android operating system so it def has something to do with bmw side of things. The following photo is what I can only think would effect this because I read it in another post but I'm not sure, I was hoping to find a junk yard or a bmw that is being parted and save some money to test it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6AF521EC-E4C6-4AB3-A1E8-BBB70D92073E_1555082494408.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	847603   Click image for larger version

Name:	67EC1969-6525-4682-AE98-390C60037823_1555082593197.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	847605   Click image for larger version

Name:	BF39F543-E7E8-4E54-9A23-BD69C549EA30_1555082619190.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	847607   Click image for larger version

Name:	9E6D1752-9975-47DA-9F4D-EFC5391302A1_1555082648800.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	847609   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9A15EC7-2C34-483C-AB7C-8BA909205A77_1555082681321.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	847611  

Click image for larger version

Name:	800DF65E-78B3-4D37-83F7-9964A392E03F_1555082877961.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	847625   Click image for larger version

Name:	30D9D634-5256-421D-BB47-1388510DD4E4_1555083057490.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	847627  
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Jerome718 Jerome718 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
My 2014 328i had the same symptoms when the car was one month old. The fix was loading a software update and it has not crashed since. I haven't heard of a global CJD failure. I would suggest that you find a different dealer.

What do you mean software update?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-12-2019, 09:03 AM
quackbury's Avatar
quackbury quackbury is offline
///Monkeyazz Duck
Location: Not In Kansas Any More
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 6,853
Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
OP do NOT go back to the indy. If you can document that you complained about this to the dealer while the car was under warranty, BMW should authorize a warranty repair of the problem. Your R/O should state something like "Customer states iDrive display turns off on its own. Unable to duplicate" or something to that extent.
__________________
Current BMW's:
2018 340i RWD 6MT MSport
2017 540i MSport
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-12-2019, 11:43 AM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome718 View Post
Hey this happened to my 2014 328i recently as well. I replaced the head unit myself with the android 10.25" touchscreen and now it doesn't go black because I'm using the android operating system "technically" to play my music but now every 3 minutes exactly, my sound stops for about 10 seconds. Now this radio is suppose to also show the screen of the original interface (if that's the right terminology) but mine is still stuck in the BMW Logo so I cannot actually access the idrive if that's what it's called. I'll show pics how I can use the android part of the radio I installed and how i can't access the original interface of the BMW because it shows the BMW logo and reboots just like the old head unit I replaced and now I can't even set my clock or anything, so for a fact I know the head unit isn't or wasn't bad. I'm thinking it's this part # (65-12-9-270-373) but idk yet it's expensive. I'll try it out though but I'll show pics. The first 5 pics are just the android side of the radio and how it looks so you all can see. The next photo that shows BMW is the state the "idrive" or "connected drive" is stuck in. Following that is a pic of some things I should be able to access but can't because it's stuck in BMW LOGO Mode and it reboots and blacks out on that screen. Not the whole unit but just the bmw reboots but on my old radio, the whole thing blacked out because there was no android operating system so it def has something to do with bmw side of things. The following photo is what I can only think would effect this because I read it in another post but I'm not sure, I was hoping to find a junk yard or a bmw that is being parted and save some money to test it out.

Hi. When you said the head unit, did you mean the CID (display)? and by replacing the head unit, how did you decide that it wasn't the issue after all? I've been told that I have to replace the CID which is very expensive. Btw, you can buy used CID on ebay for under $300 but again how do you know it's functional, right?

Last edited by new2bmw2014; 04-12-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:06 PM
John MS John MS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Virginia, USA
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 2,630
Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome718 View Post
What do you mean software update?
To a newer version.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-12-2019, 12:22 PM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
OP do NOT go back to the indy. If you can document that you complained about this to the dealer while the car was under warranty, BMW should authorize a warranty repair of the problem. Your R/O should state something like "Customer states iDrive display turns off on its own. Unable to duplicate" or something to that extent.

That is what I thought originally to do. I do have 2 different statements that show my complaint regarding iDrive malfunction. Now, do I contact the dealer first about it before I call BMW company? I know they will argue and will try to make me pay for it.

Last edited by new2bmw2014; 04-12-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-12-2019, 01:28 PM
Jerome718 Jerome718 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome718 View Post
Hey this happened to my 2014 328i recently as well. I replaced the head unit myself with the android 10.25" touchscreen and now it doesn't go black because I'm using the android operating system "technically" to play my music but now every 3 minutes exactly, my sound stops for about 10 seconds. Now this radio is suppose to also show the screen of the original interface (if that's the right terminology) but mine is still stuck in the BMW Logo so I cannot actually access the idrive if that's what it's called. I'll show pics how I can use the android part of the radio I installed and how i can't access the original interface of the BMW because it shows the BMW logo and reboots just like the old head unit I replaced and now I can't even set my clock or anything, so for a fact I know the head unit isn't or wasn't bad. I'm thinking it's this part # (65-12-9-270-373) but idk yet it's expensive. I'll try it out though but I'll show pics. The first 5 pics are just the android side of the radio and how it looks so you all can see. The next photo that shows BMW is the state the "idrive" or "connected drive" is stuck in. Following that is a pic of some things I should be able to access but can't because it's stuck in BMW LOGO Mode and it reboots and blacks out on that screen. Not the whole unit but just the bmw reboots but on my old radio, the whole thing blacked out because there was no android operating system so it def has something to do with bmw side of things. The following photo is what I can only think would effect this because I read it in another post but I'm not sure, I was hoping to find a junk yard or a bmw that is being parted and save some money to test it out.

Hi. When you said the head unit, did you mean the CID (display)? and by replacing the head unit, how did you decide that it wasn't the issue after all? I've been told that I have to replace the CID which is very expensive. Btw, you can buy used CID on ebay for under $300 but again how do you know it's functional, right?

I mean the CID; the screen. I just got back to the dealer and they updated the whole cars "software", including the idrive system but it's the same deal. They upgraded it but it still does the same thing and stays on the "bmw" I just say for like an hour or two and paid $330 but still nothing last option is that Sirius Xm ntb thing I showed earlier
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-15-2019, 06:31 AM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome718 View Post
I mean the CID; the screen. I just got back to the dealer and they updated the whole cars "software", including the idrive system but it's the same deal. They upgraded it but it still does the same thing and stays on the "bmw" I just say for like an hour or two and paid $330 but still nothing last option is that Sirius Xm ntb thing I showed earlier
Sorry to hear that. I have to go through this again too next week. It prob will be a big argument at the dealer shop trying to make them fix the prob that they didn't take care of when my car was on warranty. I am not looking forward to it at all.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-01-2019, 06:38 AM
new2bmw2014 new2bmw2014 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014
Update on the dead iDrive

Thank you to the forum and especially to QUACKBURY advice. I took my car back to the BMW dealer. Since I had a previous history of iDrive issue that wasn't resolved during the time when my care was on warranty, BMW dealer covered 95% of the cost. It cost me only a little over $100 total. I hope this iDrive will last longer.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-01-2019, 05:57 AM
Jerome718 Jerome718 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2bmw2014 View Post
Thank you to the forum and especially to QUACKBURY advice. I took my car back to the BMW dealer. Since I had a previous history of iDrive issue that wasn't resolved during the time when my care was on warranty, BMW dealer covered 95% of the cost. It cost me only a little over $100 total. I hope this iDrive will last longer.


What did they do?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Jerome718 Jerome718 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 9
Mein Auto:
PROBLEM SOLVED !!! I CHANGED THE RADIO PART NUMBER (65-12-9-270-373) bought the part at United bmw in Roswell Ga
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are the F10 2010 wheels same as 2014 model ? BlackX3 F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016) 3 03-25-2019 02:58 PM
F10 2010 and 2014 alloys the same BlackX3 X3 F25 (2011 - 2017) 0 03-24-2019 04:05 PM
Planning to buy a used 2014 i3 BEV swapsafari BMW i3 I01 (2014 - Current) 15 06-13-2018 12:54 AM
FS:Xenon Light Control Unit BMParts954 Mobile Electronics and Lighting 0 04-30-2018 12:14 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.