Buying a used 2016 340i - but have a few questions first - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-24-2019, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 340i
Buying a used 2016 340i - but have a few questions first

Hello Bimmerfest devout and faithful,

It's been quite some time since I've posted or read on Bimmerfest.com... I've long since been parted with my 2004 E46 330ci (loved that car) but am reuniting with a 2016 340i that is decked out to the nines. Below is the link:

https://www.valley-bmw.com/used-Mode...8B3G52GNT92702

The car seems fairly priced at $30,988 (it is CPO, brand new tires). However, at almost 47k miles I want to make sure I know as much as I can about any potential components/hardware that I should look into getting replaced while it is still under the factory warranty (not much remaining, however). It also comes with an additional 1 year warranty through the CPO but I'm told that is not as comprehensive as the factory warranty (which could be bad information).

I read somewhere else that the turbo is known to "act up" around 50k miles, but that was in some isolated cases. Furthermore, this car is significantly more advanced than my 2004 E46, which I performed much of the mechanical work on myself, so any major work that would need to happen I would likely be taking it to a BMW service center in my area.

I will continue to conduct my own research, but I know this forum generally offers the best when it comes to insight, useful information and honesty.

Many thanks and I look forward to getting back into the Bimmerfest community!

-Steve_a_
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
I would like to hear about 340 B58 issues too. Thinking to wait a bit and get that instead of E90 335i as that B58 looks really impressive on paper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2019, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
I have a 2016 340 with 25k miles. So far the car has been a rock. My son has a E46 and I can tell you that car is easier to work on in the engine bay. Under the car itís pretty much the same. Iíve done all kinds of maintenance work on the F30 but no repair work as yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2019, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 340i
I turned in my '16 340 in Feb. Zero problems, but it only had about 22K on the clock. In anticipation of the lease return, I drove some new Audi S5s that I found OK. Driving home, I said to myself the Bimmer is a better car.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport
Hi OP!

I can't speak to the B58 reliability as I have an N55 however I will make one recommendation. I would look for a lower mileage model. There are 340's out there with less than 20,000 miles near the cost that you are looking at with many being BMW certified. With the potential of 7 years and 100,000 miles of warranty starting with fewer miles may be worth the investment.

Good luck on the car search!

13' 335i -- ZCW ZDH ZMM ZTP ZMT ZPT 688
Old 05-28-2019, 11:03 AM
BMW CCA 69606

Mein Auto: '15 435i '10 535i '08 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by edycol View Post
....... as that B58 looks really impressive on paper.......
It is impressive, until you have to pull the engine to get to the timing chain, VANOS actuators and solenoids as I recall.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post
It is impressive, until you have to pull the engine to get to the timing chain, VANOS actuators and solenoids as I recall.
Really only a problem if the work is being done without benefit of the right tools and equipment.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshovest View Post

True, but question is: does B58 have problem with timing chain, VANOS etc?
I agree, after debacle with Audi B7 S4, not sure why would BMW do this.

Old 05-28-2019, 07:12 PM
kid in a candy store

Mein Auto: 2016 340i 6MT
Hello OP (and anyone else interested),

I haven't posted much at all in the last couple of years, but I will just tell of my experience with my 2016 F30.

I got my car delivered Labor Day weekend of 2015...mine was part of the first wave of orders that got delivered.

So, I've had my car about 3 years and 8 months. I have just over 50,300 miles on it.

I've done all of the recommended maintenance through the service department at the local dealership (same place I got the car). Any time the car was approaching the service mileage interval, the service department would call and ask to set up an appointment. I would always take the first available. My thinking was, that if it was supposed to happen every 10,000 miles or so, and they are calling me with 1,800 miles (as an example) before then my car hits the 10,000 mile interval, and I take the first available appointment (within a couple of days), then I'm squeezing in an extra maintenance or two over the long run. (I hope that makes sense to you guys.)

I believe the included maintenance has changed since MY 2016s. Mine still had whatever was covered for a while beforehand...including brakes.

I got my breaks replaced around 46,000 miles. It was part of the included maintenance, and so it didn't cost me anything. The appointment was delayed a couple of days because they didn't have my rotors in stock. But that was the biggest job I've had on my car, and it was included.

The only other thing I've had to do is replace my tires. Yes, I'm still on the stock run-flats that came with my 19" 442M wheels. (There was a lot of new home construction around my house that I couldn't avoid, and I'm sure that's how the punctures happened (yes, multiple times). When I had to, I just went to Discount Tire and got their tire insurance. I have gotten a free, new replacement at least twice so far and it has saved a lot of pain and money.

I have a list of my options in the signature. If you have specific questions that about any of those over time, feel free to ask.

I have no issues whatsoever with anything...no oil leaks, weird things with the turbo, etc. I have HUD and it has ruined me (or made me super lazy) for driving any car that doesn't have it (i.e. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW FAST I'M GOING WITHOUT HUD??). Spoiled.

And now, I digress:

My two biggest issues over time right now are really stupid:
- steering wheel volume control is on the right side of the steering wheel, instead of the left. I feel this is stupid because some people have manual transmissions, and it could have easily been switched with the cruise control buttons that are currently on the left side of the steering wheel. My left hand is on the wheel 100% of the time, while my right hand is on the stick shift a lot of the time. So, phone calls and volume buttons will be used at various times, but always when my left hand is on the steering wheel. Cruise control, if being used, will then be used when I am not shifting gears...so right hand is not needed at that time to use for anything else. Seems like a simple thing that could have been better, with just a little bit of thought. (And I'm sure some people think I just need to get over it, but my point is, there are people who are paid to make these decisions and make things better, not worse...I want their jobs! haha...have you heard my complaint about ALL newer Chevy's right now? Super annoyed with someone there who thought one idea was good enough to put on ALL their cars right now...)
- iDrive wheel allows you to zoom in or out depending on whether you turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. Because of everything else that I've ever used in my life that has to turn, I would assume that to zoom in (make the map bigger) I would need to turn the wheel clockwise (right tighty, lefty loose, etc.). Nope. It's the opposite. And it's tough to get used to because it really is backwards from everything else in life.

But not that big a deal.
- ZDA (driver assistance pkg)
- ZDB (driver assistance plus)
- ZMP (M sport pkg)
- ZTR (track handling pkg)
- 21C (19" wheels, style 442M)
- 4FT (brushed aluminum w/ black gloss)
- ZTP (technology pkg)
- 494 (heated front seats)
- ZMT (manual transmission)
- Z09 (carbon fiber rear spoiler)
- Z06 (black kidney grills)

PAST CARS:
- 2000 Honda Civic coupe 5MT
- 2006 Acura TSX 6MT

Last edited by xtougher; 05-28-2019 at 07:19 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-29-2019, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto:
What a coincidence, my last BMW was a e46 330ci and I actually just bought a 340i. It's a CPO with 16k and I got it for $37k cash out the door. My concern is the CarFax, shows the first owner as having the car 8 months and only driving 34 miles. Next owner had it from '17 till now and put 16k miles on it. Seems good so far, but I have 5 days or 250 miles to drive out any issues before it's mine for good. https://www.carfaxonline.com/cfm/Dis...8B3G55GNT91785 _sl_

Last edited by ajrocklin; 05-29-2019 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Add carfax
Old 05-30-2019, 05:03 AM

Mein Auto: 16 435 CV Msport PPK, Q5
I agree, look for one with fewer miles
Old 06-02-2019, 05:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Acura TL 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtougher View Post
Hello OP (and anyone else interested),

I haven't posted much at all in the last couple of years, but I will just tell of my experience with my 2016 F30.

I got my car delivered Labor Day weekend of 2015...mine was part of the first wave of orders that got delivered.

So, I've had my car about 3 years and 8 months. I have just over 50,300 miles on it.

I've done all of the recommended maintenance through the service department at the local dealership (same place I got the car). Any time the car was approaching the service mileage interval, the service department would call and ask to set up an appointment. I would always take the first available. My thinking was, that if it was supposed to happen every 10,000 miles or so, and they are calling me with 1,800 miles (as an example) before then my car hits the 10,000 mile interval, and I take the first available appointment (within a couple of days), then I'm squeezing in an extra maintenance or two over the long run. (I hope that makes sense to you guys.)

I believe the included maintenance has changed since MY 2016s. Mine still had whatever was covered for a while beforehand...including brakes.

I got my breaks replaced around 46,000 miles. It was part of the included maintenance, and so it didn't cost me anything. The appointment was delayed a couple of days because they didn't have my rotors in stock. But that was the biggest job I've had on my car, and it was included.

The only other thing I've had to do is replace my tires. Yes, I'm still on the stock run-flats that came with my 19" 442M wheels. (There was a lot of new home construction around my house that I couldn't avoid, and I'm sure that's how the punctures happened (yes, multiple times). When I had to, I just went to Discount Tire and got their tire insurance. I have gotten a free, new replacement at least twice so far and it has saved a lot of pain and money.

I have a list of my options in the signature. If you have specific questions that about any of those over time, feel free to ask.

I have no issues whatsoever with anything...no oil leaks, weird things with the turbo, etc. I have HUD and it has ruined me (or made me super lazy) for driving any car that doesn't have it (i.e. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW HOW FAST I'M GOING WITHOUT HUD??). Spoiled.

And now, I digress:

My two biggest issues over time right now are really stupid:
- steering wheel volume control is on the right side of the steering wheel, instead of the left. I feel this is stupid because some people have manual transmissions, and it could have easily been switched with the cruise control buttons that are currently on the left side of the steering wheel. My left hand is on the wheel 100% of the time, while my right hand is on the stick shift a lot of the time. So, phone calls and volume buttons will be used at various times, but always when my left hand is on the steering wheel. Cruise control, if being used, will then be used when I am not shifting gears...so right hand is not needed at that time to use for anything else. Seems like a simple thing that could have been better, with just a little bit of thought. (And I'm sure some people think I just need to get over it, but my point is, there are people who are paid to make these decisions and make things better, not worse...I want their jobs! haha...have you heard my complaint about ALL newer Chevy's right now? Super annoyed with someone there who thought one idea was good enough to put on ALL their cars right now...)
- iDrive wheel allows you to zoom in or out depending on whether you turn it clockwise or counterclockwise. Because of everything else that I've ever used in my life that has to turn, I would assume that to zoom in (make the map bigger) I would need to turn the wheel clockwise (right tighty, lefty loose, etc.). Nope. It's the opposite. And it's tough to get used to because it really is backwards from everything else in life.

But not that big a deal.
Interesting set of comments, thanks!

In the next 20 months or so my last kid will be graduating college and I can *finally* look forward to my first new(ish) BMW since my E39 530i SP 5-Speed which my wife and I picked up in Munich via the ED program. Unfortunately, neither of us has ever bothered to learn how to drive cars with automatic transmissions, and since the only 6MT game in town these days are the M cars, this means I'll be looking for a lightly used CPO 340i when the time comes.

Your comments about the audio/cruise control buttons on the steering wheel are spot on; I'm currently in non-BMW purgatory (my daily whip is a 2006 TL 6MT) and as you suggested, the steering wheel controls feature left-side audio, right side cruise control. I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my brain around how BMW got that bit backwards.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post

In the next 20 months or so my last kid will be graduating college and I can *finally* look forward to my first new(ish) BMW since my E39 530i SP 5-Speed which my wife and I picked up in Munich via the ED program. Unfortunately, neither of us has ever bothered to learn how to drive cars with automatic transmissions, and since the only 6MT game in town these days are the M cars, this means I'll be looking for a lightly used CPO 340i when the time comes.

Your comments about the audio/cruise control buttons on the steering wheel are spot on; I'm currently in non-BMW purgatory (my daily whip is a 2006 TL 6MT) and as you suggested, the steering wheel controls feature left-side audio, right side cruise control. I'm still having a difficult time wrapping my brain around how BMW got that bit backwards.

Audio controls wee on the left side on E series. It was F series that started that nonsense. I highly doubt that whoever figured that out, has a DL.

Old 06-06-2019, 01:38 PM
kid in a candy store

Mein Auto: 2016 340i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipo View Post

Who knows what the thinking was? Especially in light of the comment below, saying the E series had it the other way. So it seems somehow, someone went OUT OF THEIR WAY to make it different, at the inconvenience to a certain marketshare...maybe there's a conspiracy to make all of the MT drivers unhappy with driving them and just be happy with the ATs.

Also, side note: how do you like your 2006 TL? My wife drove that car and we still think it was one of the better values that we can think of as far as what you get for the money (i.e. power, size, quality, design, price, etc.)

[QUOTE=edycol;13016815]Audio controls wee on the left side on E series. It was F series that started that nonsense. I highly doubt that whoever figured that out, has a DL.
- ZDA (driver assistance pkg)
- ZDB (driver assistance plus)
- ZMP (M sport pkg)
- ZTR (track handling pkg)
- 21C (19" wheels, style 442M)
- 4FT (brushed aluminum w/ black gloss)
- ZTP (technology pkg)
- 494 (heated front seats)
- ZMT (manual transmission)
- Z09 (carbon fiber rear spoiler)
- Z06 (black kidney grills)

PAST CARS:
- 2000 Honda Civic coupe 5MT
- 2006 Acura TSX 6MT

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
340i, cpo, maintainace, recall, warranty

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search