Carfax on used car has 1 reported accident. Is this a non buy? 2014 328D? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto:
Carfax on used car has 1 reported accident. Is this a non buy? 2014 328D?

Hey, I found a 328D that I like that at a BMW dealer (not certified) that looks to be in very good condition (30K miles and clean as a whistle). Carfax 1 owner, but 1 reported accident. How hard would this be in the future to sell privately in the future? Nothing on the carfax about airbags. Should I still consider it? Was thinking of asking the dealer to have me bring it to a body shop for inspection and alignment? Is that reasonable? They say if they held onto the car as a dealer that there is no obvious damage. Also, this car only has a premium package which includes heated seats. NO navigation or camera. Is a non-nav car a game-blower to resale or the non-camera worse? I would not mind a stripped down TDI honestly and find the nonsport seats very comfortable. Worried about resale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 06:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: CV
Quote:
Originally Posted by scon4snow View Post
Hey, I found a 328D that I like that at a BMW dealer (not certified) that looks to be in very good condition (30K miles and clean as a whistle). Carfax 1 owner, but 1 reported accident. How hard would this be in the future to sell privately in the future? Nothing on the carfax about airbags. Should I still consider it? Was thinking of asking the dealer to have me bring it to a body shop for inspection and alignment? Is that reasonable? They say if they held onto the car as a dealer that there is no obvious damage. Also, this car only has a premium package which includes heated seats. NO navigation or camera. Is a non-nav car a game-blower to resale or the non-camera worse? I would not mind a stripped down TDI honestly and find the nonsport seats very comfortable. Worried about resale
What was the dollar value of damage? Where was it damaged? Get an inspection if your set on purchasing it.

Most buyers might balk at the accident. Personally if damage was under 1500-2000 and fixed exceptionally I would pursue it. Resale value why even bother worrying about. You are going to be the second owner and when you sell it they will be third. I feel the first buyer took the biggest hit. You are going to take the next in value.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by caswcu View Post
Personally if damage was under 1500-2000 and fixed exceptionally I would pursue it. Resale value why even bother worrying about.
Resale concern is less if you normally trade-in, since you dont have to deal with the 'demand' side and only the 'value' side.
The higher value the car, the more severe damage that will get fixed. I never buy a car that has an accident in its first few years. At least when it is 5 or 8 years old, any significant damage will total the car (if appropriately insured).
Not all accidents are reported.
Not all reported accidents are reported to your source.
Buy on condition and overall value; including structural integrity and mechanical state. 328d is overall a pretty rare car but pretty easy to find by expanding your area and being diligent. You will want to either *buy the car you want for the long haul, or *enjoy some good mpgs while you diligently hunt for the car you want for the long haul.
Don't buy an underoptioned BMW unless it is some unbelievable deal or gifted to you. Options that matter vary by model. For the three series that is at least the multi-function navigation screen, and one or both of backup camera/parking sensors. My opinion is it needs a whole lot more. Read up on what the available options were and decide what matters for you.

More important than getting you there, a car's first priority job is to keep you as safe as possible in a collision or in collision avoidance. Reported and unreported accidents do matter, as do their associated repairs, but used cars are very case-by-case basis with many inputs.

Last edited by dzlbimmer; 06-12-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 AM
This Space 4 Rent

Mein Auto: 17 F33 B58 xDrive
As far as the accident my rule is generally that I wouldn't consider a car with a known accident unless I could see the paperwork for the repairs to know just how bad it was. Keep in mind a car with a carfax listed accident could be nothing to worry about and one with a clean carfax could have had major damage that wasn't reported.

By itself, OEM navigation is useless compared to what I can get on my phone. The problem is that it is hard to really ootion up a car with everything I want without including navigation. I don't thing it is the big selling point it used to be but almost any option is a plus at resale time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2017 440i xDrive M Sport Convertible - European Delivery March 2017 - Glacier Silver - Black - Ash Grain - M Sport Brakes - 442M 19s Orbit Grey - Variable Sport Steering -
Adaptive M Suspension - Driving Assistance Package - Technology Package - Top / Side View Cameras - JB+
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Definitely take it to a reputable body shop for inspection. Donít take it to the dealer recommended body shop. If the dealer took it on a trade, talk to the previous owner about the repairs. Maybe you can find the original body shop and get the repair invoice.

$5000 isnít a lot of money to repair a car these days.

I have bought cars that have been in accidents before and havenít had any trouble with selling them. The biggest resale problem is a car that has been sold and resold quite a bit.

If the car is straight, but it and enjoy it. By the way my 320 is optioned similar to the 328D you describe. While Iíd like to have the LED angel eyes headlights, navigation and maybe upgraded sound. I love my little base 320. Itís fun to drive and I donít have any issues with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 06-22-2019, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
carfax may list a vehicle accident even if it was a ding in a door that got redone or bumper cover replaced, so as always, Carfax is not reliable, and should not be dubbed the end all. If you are interested in the car, then have it checked out by third party. What you can do is use the carfax listing an accident in your negotiation, taking into consideration of depreciated cost for the "accident". In which case, why are you worried about resale if you take that into account when you buy? Why bother about resale anyway. You are buying a car, not investing in one to resell later.

Last edited by imtjm; 06-22-2019 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:58 PM
Redsoxnation

Mein Auto: 2015 BMW 328d
My Experience

I have a 2015 328D which I purchased from Carvana for $25,000 on 6/30/18, its had 13,000 miles when purchased. It is the Luxury model, clean carfax. Personally, a diesel resale value is not high, a small portion of Americans buy them. I have upgraded the Nav system, it is still cumbersome. I would recommend finding another car. Our car is fantastic, it is great to drive and we average 40 mpg, that is mostly city driving with auto start stop turned off.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search