Extended Maintenance Discount? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-16-2019, 06:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '16 428XI Orion Silver
Extended Maintenance Discount?

Has anyone managed to get their dealership to shave anything off the list price for extended maintenance? If so, how much? Current list is $2095 for 2 years or $1075 for 1 year.
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 06:55 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsedels View Post
Has anyone managed to get their dealership to shave anything off the list price for extended maintenance? If so, how much? Current list is $2095 for 2 years or $1075 for 1 year.

Why would you need that? Absolute waste of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-16-2019, 06:55 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
get a better discount; use an independent mechanic for maintenance after the initial "free" period

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
get a better discount; use an independent mechanic for maintenance after the initial "free" period
Good suggestion. Would love to but don't have any convenient independents with loaners available.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
If dealerships didnít make money on these warrantees, they wouldnít offer them. Wise up and save your money. The odds are not in your favor that youíll use $2095 worth of maintenance in two years. If you canít diy, just pay as you go.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 06-17-2019, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 F30 328i
Quote:
Good suggestion. Would love to but don't have any convenient independents with loaners available.
Even if loaners aren't available, can't you take an Uber? Most maintenance jobs are a 1-day affair. Drop off in the morning, pick up after work. I am sure that indie + Uber will still be cheaper than the BMW maintenance plan.

2012 328i Luxury Line | Glacier Silver/Saddle Brown | Premium pkg | Tech pkg | Cold weather pkg | Lighting pkg | Park distance control | Anti-theft alarm system
Old 06-17-2019, 07:53 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Even if loaners aren't available, can't you take an Uber? Most maintenance jobs are a 1-day affair. Drop off in the morning, pick up after work. I am sure that indie + Uber will still be cheaper than the BMW maintenance plan.
Not to mention that BMW's CBS maintenance interval is 8,000-10,000 miles. I drive about 12,000 mi per year. So for me--that would be 3 oil changes over 2 years. $2,000??

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 06-18-2019, 03:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Do some math homework first. Determine all services the contract covers. Then decide how many times you will use each one and price them. You will probably prepay more than will be used.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:50 PM

Folks, I understand the math. Still, I'd like to know if anyone has been successful in negotiating a better deal than list on Extended Maintenance.
Old 06-20-2019, 11:47 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Quote:
Folks, I understand the math. Still, I'd like to know if anyone has been successful in negotiating a better deal than list on Extended Maintenance.
I think the reason that you're not getting the answer that you want is because no one that is active in this forum would ever consider buying these plans.

Yes, I see the perceived value in having the dealer do this work, but the reality is that it's just a car, and oil changes are super easy and simple and you can literally do it yourself in the driveway or parking lot. Or take it to an independent and wait for it. Or have a friend/spouse/partner follow you there and pick you up. Or Uber. So many alternatives, and every one of them will save you thousands of dollars.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Wishful thinking. Said differently it would take a substantial discount for you to break even. Depending on how profitable the car pricing was the dealer might shave a bit.

The only way you will know whether your dealer will discount a service contract will be for you to ask as a part of negotiations.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:

Most people who are active here are DIY people. They will never waste money like that.
If it was MB forum, yes, you would get an answer probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2019, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2019 BMW 430i
I got an "extended maintenance" plan for free from the stealership because they had us there for so long buying the car! Will I ever use it? Probably not. I just don't trust anyone in the service industry these days as NO ONE seems to take pride in what they do anymore.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:42 PM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEisel View Post
I just don't trust anyone in the service industry these days as NO ONE seems to take pride in what they do anymore.
I really, really, really want to disagree with you and scold you for the bad attitude, but after repeated visits to the BMW service center to repeatedly fix things that they broke fixing other issues, I'm starting to get quite discouraged.

Still, an oil service shouldn't be too much cause for concern, right?
Old 06-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I got an "extended maintenance" plan for free from the stealership because they had us there for so long buying the car! Will I ever use it? Probably not. I just don't trust anyone in the service industry these days as NO ONE seems to take pride in what they do anymore.
Why would you buy a car from a dealer who was stealing from you?
Old 06-21-2019, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
I really, really, really want to disagree with you and scold you for the bad attitude, but after repeated visits to the BMW service center to repeatedly fix things that they broke fixing other issues, I'm starting to get quite discouraged.

Still, an oil service shouldn't be too much cause for concern, right?
So I'm just going by past experience. This is the first "brand new" BMW we've bought and I will say that Annapolis BMW has gone above and beyond with helping us. AFTER we bought the car, I removed the front licence plate holder and found a lot of holes in the front bumper. Long story short, they fixed it AFTER we bought the car and accepted ownership of it. Would I trust the service department to change the oil? Not sure. I just know if I do it myself, it will be done right and I won't have to go back and check to make sure all the fasteners are back where they're supposed to be, oil level is correct, etc, etc. I just like doing things myself I guess.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
Why would you buy a car from a dealer who was stealing from you?
If it was up to me, I wouldn't. My wife REALLY liked the car, and they did knock $10K off the price after "long negotiations", but they still sold us the car which means even knocking $10K off of it, they still made money, thus "stealership". And if you take your car to the "stealership" for lets say a brake job, how much do they charge you for it? I know the Audi dealer wanted over $2K for a brake job on a 2012 A6 that I was able to do (brakes AND rotors) for less than $700 and that was with high performance German rotors. I'll step down off my box now. LOL
Old 06-22-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
If it was up to me, I wouldn't. My wife REALLY liked the car, and they did knock $10K off the price after "long negotiations", but they still sold us the car which means even knocking $10K off of it, they still made money, thus "stealership". And if you take your car to the "stealership" for lets say a brake job, how much do they charge you for it? I know the Audi dealer wanted over $2K for a brake job on a 2012 A6 that I was able to do (brakes AND rotors) for less than $700 and that was with high performance German rotors. I'll step down off my box now. LOL

Making a profit means they are stealing??? I go to my dealer because they deliver the car as scheduled, do a good job, provide a loaner and are priced about the same as a good independent that is maybe 10 miles further.

I have done brake jobs and other work in the past. I would rather pay for someone with more experience to do the work and have it done right the first time. That way no projects carry over because the parts store just closed. A good mechanic can also spot emerging problems. Well worth the money for me.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:19 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
they still made money, thus "stealership"
How are they "stealing" because they made money on a sale? What business doesn't make money on sales?

Old 06-24-2019, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Making a profit means they are stealing??? I go to my dealer because they deliver the car as scheduled, do a good job, provide a loaner and are priced about the same as a good independent that is maybe 10 miles further.

I have done brake jobs and other work in the past. I would rather pay for someone with more experience to do the work and have it done right the first time. That way no projects carry over because the parts store just closed. A good mechanic can also spot emerging problems. Well worth the money for me.
Quote:
How are they "stealing" because they made money on a sale? What business doesn't make money on sales?
OK, the "selling price" of the car was a bad example. I agree they need to make money on that. But actual "basic service" (oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups) does not need to be marked up so high. I guess because I do all this work myself, it's painful for me to pay someone else to do it, especially for more than double what the parts cost. I agree if someone doesn't know how to do these things, then you have no choice. If anyone lives near me and needs basic service on their car, I'd more than happy to do it for cost.

So I'll agree to disagree.
Old 06-24-2019, 06:06 AM
You Don't Need to Know

Quote:
OK, the "selling price" of the car was a bad example. I agree they need to make money on that. But actual "basic service" (oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups) does not need to be marked up so high. I guess because I do all this work myself, it's painful for me to pay someone else to do it, especially for more than double what the parts cost. I agree if someone doesn't know how to do these things, then you have no choice. If anyone lives near me and needs basic service on their car, I'd more than happy to do it for cost.

Well I'll disagree that we agree to disagree. Certainly, the dealer markup for service is high; no argument there. Your statement was about was about how much they knocked off the selling price of the car; any "stealing" the dealership does in the service department is after you complete your purchase, and only if you elect to bring your car back in for service. That's why I now take my car to a local indy shop since the "included" maintenance expired. Except that I did bring it back for tire replacement, because they had a price match and a rebate, so I paid less money that at my indy shop and I had a loaner for the day. So--did I steal from the stealership??

Last edited by tex2670; 06-24-2019 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Well I'll disagree that we agree to disagree. Certainly, the dealer markup for service is high; no argument there. Your statement was about was about how much they knocked off the selling price of the car; any "stealing" the dealership does in the service department is after you complete your purchase, and only if you elect to bring your car back in for service. That's why I now take my car to a local indy shop since the "included" maintenance expired. Except that I did bring it back for tire replacement, because they had a price match and a rebate, so I paid less money that at my indy shop and I had a loaner for the day. So--did I steal from the stealership??
Ummmmm no? As long as your happy for what you paid for tires/mounting/balancing/tire disposal/shop fees, etc. That's what matters.

I think we've taken this thread WAY off track from the OP's original question. Sorry OP, didn't mean to thread jack.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Dealers need to make money on every product or service they sell. Otherwise they won't be in the business for very long. I don't know what you do for a living but imagine if someone asked you to to take 40% less than your current salary for half your hours. Would you do it? That is in essence what you are asking the dealer to do.
I've moved beyond laying in the driveway under the car or leaning over the fender. I did it when a teen and first married to save some money. I will never be as fast or thorough as a good mechanic with the right tools, equipment and parts at hand.

Last edited by John MS; 06-24-2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Dealers need to make money on every product or service they sell. Otherwise they won't be in the business for very long. I don't know what you do for a living but imagine if someone asked you to to take 40% less than your current salary for half your hours. Would you do it? That is in essence what you are asking the dealer to do.
I've moved beyond laying in the driveway under the car or leaning over the fender. I did it when a teen and first married to save some money. I will never be as fast or thorough as a good mechanic with the right tools, equipment and parts at hand.
I would tell you, but then I would have to kill you. Totally understand the money aspect. They have overhead, medical and everything else they have to cover for an employee. I'm just stating the fact, unless absolutely necessary, I won't pay them to do it. I'm 52 now and have a lift in my garage and make enough money to buy all the right tools, equipment and parts to do things myself. I've been told as recently as yesterday that I'll never grow up. I take that as a compliment.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhrp View Post
Depends upon what is being done. Simple oil change? Yes, I could take an Uber (assuming there is a good independent that is located conveniently ... and there isn't). Something more complicated, I need a loaner. It's a tremendous convenience.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search