320i Xdrive Engine Failure 2013 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto:
320i Xdrive Engine Failure 2013

i have 2013 320i xDrive with the N20 engine and it was knocking, took it to the dealer and they said cylinder #1 bearing is shot.... I'm aware of the class action lawsuit but they said this in not associated with the timing chain. The DMI was replaced (loss of power in cylinders 1&3) 3 moths ago by a different dealership along with all 4 coils. We have had nothing but problems with this car. The price from the dealership is $10k to repair the engine. BMW USA has offered $2k towards the work. With all the problems with the engine i feel BMW should be on the hook for more...

Has this happened to anyone else?

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrown71 View Post
i have 2013 320i xDrive with the N20 engine and it was knocking, took it to the dealer and they said cylinder #1 bearing is shot.... I'm aware of the class action lawsuit but they said this in not associated with the timing chain. The DMI was replaced (loss of power in cylinders 1&3) 3 moths ago by a different dealership along with all 4 coils. We have had nothing but problems with this car. The price from the dealership is $10k to repair the engine. BMW USA has offered $2k towards the work. With all the problems with the engine i feel BMW should be on the hook for more...

Has this happened to anyone else?

HELP!!!
Maybe get another look by a good independent mechanic.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
That is seriously strange failure on N20. What were oil changes, what oil and what make them change coils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2019, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto:
We purchased the car used from a private seller approx 15 months ago. The car had 83k miles at time of purchase and now has 98k. The dealer could not figure out why it didnt have power to cylinders 1&3 and thought it was the coils and spark plugs. They replaced them and said the car still didn't have power. They stated they went back and forth with BMW Germany and came up with replacing the dmi under warranty. I did ask if it was necessary to replace the coils and they told me they may put the old ones back in but then came back and said they needed to be replaced. We changed the oil twice (according tho the car indicator), once at the dealer and once at a local repair shop.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X5 35d (traded in)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrown71 View Post
We purchased the car used from a private seller approx 15 months ago. The car had 83k miles at time of purchase and now has 98k. The dealer could not figure out why it didnt have power to cylinders 1&3 and thought it was the coils and spark plugs. They replaced them and said the car still didn't have power. They stated they went back and forth with BMW Germany and came up with replacing the dmi under warranty. I did ask if it was necessary to replace the coils and they told me they may put the old ones back in but then came back and said they needed to be replaced. We changed the oil twice (according tho the car indicator), once at the dealer and once at a local repair shop.

So, several theories just on top of my head:
1. Previous owner neglected engine. Bearing is extremely rare failure in engine that is taken care per manufacturer recommendations.
2. Coil packs could not provide proper ignition. Some fuel ended up in oil. This could very well be the case. It is even worse that BMW uses in that engine 0W20 oil which basically doesn’t leave any flexibility in case of fuel dilution. Eventually, oil will shear and cause mechanical damage.
3. What oil repair shop used in that engine? BMW (as all Euro manufacturers) is very specific what oil should be used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for the insight.... need to do some investigating, Difficult to swallow right now.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search