Rear Brake Pads and Rotors - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 10-24-2017, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 428i
Rear Brake Pads and Rotors

Hello All ~

Proud new owner of a 428i Convertible with Xdrive here. MY 2014. Owned it about a week and got the rear brake sensor warning.

I previously owned an E46 that I loved and I have experience changing brakes and rotors on a variety of cars --- including my E46. I took some pleasure in doing these things DIY. There are tons of DIY videos out there, but I am concerned about the specifics of my car and how it might be different from those in the videos.

In any case, I am considering doing the rear brakes DIY, but I have a few questions before I jack the car.

1. I think I have a good understanding of changing pads/rotors. Have done it in the past with my E46 and other vehicles. I am not too concerned about this being substantively different from those. If I am wrong, please correct me.

2. My real concern is replacing the sensor wire. Specifically, how hard is it to reach the plug-in? Some of these vehicles have the plug in a small plastic box that is easily accessible. With others you have to remove the inner wheel cover. If this is accessible, I feel confident in my ability to replace it. If I have to start removing a bunch of crap, just to get to it --- I will likely pay the dealer to do this job.

3. I have 9 months left on my manufacturers warranty. Miles don't matter --- it is at 38k and I will not put 50k on it in the next nine months. Will this void it?

4. I have about $200 credit built up at my Ford Dealer from previous work on my Taurus. However, they won't touch my BMW. That scares me a bit and makes me think there is some kinda difficulty with this job that I don't know about.

5. These cars have a low clearance. I really like that about them, but also concerned a bit about jacking it. I have 18s. It not M-sport, but Sport line trim. Should I be concerned?

That's it guys. Any insight is very helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Dealer Cost!!!

Rear brakes only === Dealer just quoted $880. I am MUCH more motivated to do this job myself.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '17 328dx Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tskbimmer View Post
Hello All ~

Proud new owner of a 428i Convertible with Xdrive here. MY 2014. Owned it about a week and got the rear brake sensor warning.
Whoa a vert, nice!

Quote:
1. I think I have a good understanding of changing pads/rotors. Have done it in the past with my E46 and other vehicles. I am not too concerned about this being substantively different from those. If I am wrong, please correct me.
Nope, not terribly different/difficult. Just a standard floating caliper (unless you have the M-sport brakes, in which case it's fixed). You'll want to take off the bottom plastic covers protecting the suspension components for more access to the caliper mounting bolts though.

Quote:
2. My real concern is replacing the sensor wire. Specifically, how hard is it to reach the plug-in? Some of these vehicles have the plug in a small plastic box that is easily accessible. With others you have to remove the inner wheel cover. If this is accessible, I feel confident in my ability to replace it. If I have to start removing a bunch of crap, just to get to it --- I will likely pay the dealer to do this job.
It's in a very easily accessible box. Don't even worry about it!

Quote:
3. I have 9 months left on my manufacturers warranty. Miles don't matter --- it is at 38k and I will not put 50k on it in the next nine months. Will this void it?
Pretty sure it won't void the warranty.

Quote:
4. I have about $200 credit built up at my Ford Dealer from previous work on my Taurus. However, they won't touch my BMW. That scares me a bit and makes me think there is some kinda difficulty with this job that I don't know about.
Nothing scary/weird/unique.

Quote:
5. These cars have a low clearance. I really like that about them, but also concerned a bit about jacking it. I have 18s. It not M-sport, but Sport line trim. Should I be concerned?

That's it guys. Any insight is very helpful.
You should be plenty fine. You'll have plenty of clearance in the rear to get under the diff, and the front you can always drive up on some boards if you need a bit more clearance. The only thing I'll caution is the center front jacking point is a bit curved at the front, so make sure your jack has a wide enough pad, or that your jack isn't as risk of slipping off the curved part.

Last edited by FaRKle!; 10-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 01:42 PM

Thanks so much!!!

Worried that my jack will be low profile enough, but at that cost ---- I can get a new jack!

I really very much appreciate it.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sportline
Quote:
Rear brakes only === Dealer just quoted $880. I am MUCH more motivated to do this job myself.
Greets. I got a similar quote from my dealer on the brakes - $800 per axle. Recently, I got the brake wear warning, so it was upon me. I decided to do it myself. Even with buying a low profile jack and specialized jack stands, I did all four for around $900. Going forward, I will be able to do the job for $400.

To your questions: the wear sensors are relatively easy on the front - the junction box is right there in the inner fender well. On the back, you need to loosen, not remove, the inner fender liner to get to the junction box where the wear sensor plugs in.

As for jacking it up, Kies Motorsports has a great video on YouTube on jacking up an F30. Pay attention to the jack points he shows. I did buy the jack stands he uses along with the Burger Tuning jack pad adapters. For the floor jack, definitely get a low profile jack. I got mine at Harbor Freight. It is practically identical to the one Brian uses in the video, but it was half the cost of that Arcan jack.

Look for a post from me about my brake job in the next few days.

2013 328i, ZSL, ZPP, 609, 255, ZMT
Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Be sure to order your replacement brake parts (calipers, pads, sensors) through FCP Euro. They have lifetime replacement warranty on all parts sold. Next time it's time for a brake job, you simply mail the old worn rotors, pads and sensors back and FCP Euro sends you new ones.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sansom View Post
Be sure to order your replacement brake parts (calipers, pads, sensors) through FCP Euro. They have lifetime replacement warranty on all parts sold. Next time it's time for a brake job, you simply mail the old worn rotors, pads and sensors back and FCP Euro sends you new ones.
Is this true? Can someone else confirm? I'm about to replace my brakes and will definitely use FCP Euro if this is the case.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korzhik View Post
Is this true? Can someone else confirm? I'm about to replace my brakes and will definitely use FCP Euro if this is the case.
You can check it out on their website itself. And google peoples experience. The guarantee is real. It can get gimmicky on things like 'engine oil'. What I mean by that is that the requirement of the lifetime warranty is to ship the old part back. For a high priced item, this is still a good deal for you. For an inexpensive item (like engine oil), the cost to send the used oil back negates any benefit of free replacement oil (unless you live very close to FCP Euro).
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
To OP, just search "F30 rear brake" on utube for DIY videos for pads + rotors + sensors replacement, it does not look too bad at all.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: '74 tii / E28s / '03 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korzhik View Post
It's true - https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
BMW CCA #30375 - National Capital Chapter
1974 2002tii
1986 535i
2000 328i
2003 530i
2006 330ic ZHP
2015 228i M Sport

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search