Is it worth waiting for 2012 328i coupe? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 03-19-2011, 01:22 AM

Mein Auto: g37s
Is it worth waiting for 2012 328i coupe?

hi, I'm thinking about buying a 328i Coupe 2011 in the end of May(I've been waiting since August 2010 to buy a car so I don't know how much longer I can wait!!)
but now that I see the new 2012 3 series is going to have a facelift i'm worried that I'll get buyers remorse.
Will the value of a 2011 328i coupe drop a lot when the new 2012 comes out? is it worth the extra 6 month wait? to either buy a 2012 or grab a really good deal on the 2011 around september?

I heard the 328i is going to get a turbo.. i hope bmw doesn't make "big" changes on the 2012!!
lol and I hope the new design is ugly because my patience for a new car is running out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
My decision to go with a 2011 sedan instead of waiting for the 2012 was based on 6 years of refinement to the current model. I figured they had 6 years to get any bugs out if there were any. Also the 3 series changes have been pretty conservative over all with the last 2 generations so next years model probably won't be too radical. I think the over all styling is timeless and won't look out dated no matter what they change next year. I also feel that you can't buy a BMW and worry about it loosing it's value. If that bothers you than a lease option may be better. I bought mine because I have wanted one for for 24 years and I think it's the most beautiful, fun, driving machine I have owned to date. It's not the most expensive car, but raising a family on a single income and paying for college has prevented me from dropping over 40 grand on any car. I am also getting close to the big 50 so I didn't want to be to old and to feeble to enjoy the experience. Anyway buy one because you want one and get as many options as you can afford. Other than making a car drive by itself I can't see anything new to be offered in 2012.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:55 AM

Mein Auto: BMW's: E90 and F22
You will always get a better deal on an outgoing model. I leased a nice 545i in 2005 for a song because BMW had to make room for the new 550i.
2015 Alpine White 228i Coupe ("El Chapo") with Sport Line, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, FineLine Stream Wood Trim, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package and Track Handling Package and those wonderful non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2011, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
I have always wanted to own 3 cars in my life, a Mercedes, a BMW, and a Porsche. The MB was a SLK350 AMG that was a blast. My Bimmer is a 6MT with Spt Pkg. I figure in 5 years I will buy a 911 of some sort, after that I dont know, a Aston Martin old or new would keep me smiling.

That said, why not buy a preowned Coupe now, and then flip it when the 2012 debuts? I am not one to buy a new car normally, but can see the justification regardless, and far as the NEW goes. But a vehicle is a quickly depreciating asset, about 50% in 3 years on BMW. Why not save some money, and find a good 1 owner low mileage around 35K 2008 and enjoy it for it years, and then you only lose about 25% on your investment, less if you dont pile on miles, and buy it on the low end of the wholesale scale, then trade or sell it when the new one hits the market, you will also get the benefit of seeing the next generation improvements and upgrades firsthand.

Just be sure to get two things on either model, Sport Pkg, and the Stereo Upgrade. For a true motoring coupe, a 6MT, if you dont have bumper to bumper commutes.

Last edited by RaceBlood; 03-19-2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceBlood View Post
I see no reason to compare a coupe and a sedan in the same sentence, as they are two completely different cars and dynamics, and the coupe far more rare, and sporty looking.
No comparison intended, the point was that BMW has made minor changes with the 3 series in general since the last model change. Nothing that drastically changes the over all look of the car.

Last edited by 3284me; 03-19-2011 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe 6MT
Sorry I changed my response while you were posting-

But in regards to my statement, I was not even speaking of the changes, but the two cars are different in all aspects, from sheet metal to looks, dynamics and the fact a coupe is a rare model compared to the sedan.

In regards to the generational change, its was a MAJOR change from 2006 to 2007, hardly a part was carried over.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW's: E90 and F22
Well I have two: A BMW and a Porsche. Have no desire to own a MB.
2015 Alpine White 228i Coupe ("El Chapo") with Sport Line, Premium Package, Black Dakota Leather, FineLine Stream Wood Trim, Lighting Package, Driver Assistance Package and Track Handling Package and those wonderful non-runflat Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tires.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:44 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankook View Post
hi, I'm thinking about buying a 328i Coupe 2011 in the end of May(I've been waiting since August 2010 to buy a car so I don't know how much longer I can wait!!)
but now that I see the new 2012 3 series is going to have a facelift i'm worried that I'll get buyers remorse.
Will the value of a 2011 328i coupe drop a lot when the new 2012 comes out? is it worth the extra 6 month wait? to either buy a 2012 or grab a really good deal on the 2011 around september?

I heard the 328i is going to get a turbo.. i hope bmw doesn't make "big" changes on the 2012!!
lol and I hope the new design is ugly because my patience for a new car is running out!
The 3 Series E90/91 are not getting a "facelift" for 2012. They got their facelift for model year 2009. The sedan and touring will remain the same for 2012 and will be completely redone for model year 2013. BMW's history is that they bring out the coupe and convertible one year after the sedan and touring, which means the next coupe will most likely be a 2014 model that will come to market sometime in the second or third quarter of 2013 calender year.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Old 03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Scubajag

Mein Auto: 328 BMW
The 2012 3 Series Coupe goes into production in September 2011. It will be the next to last 3 series with the same engine that powers the vehicle now. You need to wait until June/July to determine what changes or freebies BMW will built into the 3 series Coupe to maintain sales. Many people will wait for the F-30 model (2014), delivery in late 2013, but that model will have a whole new series of engines, and all the related problems associated with a new engine. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:11 PM
Alex in DC

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi Coupe
I had the same dilemma and was tempted to wait for the new 3 series coupe. However, I decided to go with the classic coupe design that I fell in love with when it first came out in 2006, and as someone else mentioned, all the bugs should be fixed by now, opposed to a brand new design with all the inherent flaws. Instead of being a first year guinea pig, I decided to go with a trouble free gorgeous car. Besides, who knows what the next generation coupe will look like? Despite Bangle's happy exit, some of the new designs don't look all that great to me. The current 3 series coupe is the most beautiful 3 series in several years. I just picked up my special order at the dealership 4 days ago and had it special ordered with everything, and very pleased knowing it's bulletproof. Got the special .9% financing and $1,500 holiday rebate, too. (I ordered it on January 3rd and it took over 3 months to get here.)
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 e90 335d (M-sport)
Gents:
Anyone who is considering an E92 (coupe) or any of the current E9x should follow this thread:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...484783&page=11

Iím planning to do an ED for a E92 (328ix, Msport, loaded etc) this summer and will place my order in May/June.

Anyway, I wanted to share some info that I received from my [Boston area] CA. BMW has a history of extending the coupe model one year after the sedan ends production. But, it seems that BMW is putting a new twist on this for the E9x to F3x transition. I was told that the E92 (coupe) will end production in August and the E90 (sedan) will be October. I was shocked to get this note from my CA and had to call him to confirm. Thatís likely why this March production change was put into affect.

Also, it sounds like the F30 might be seen at US dealers in the December/January timeframe. Assuming the F30 is debuted in Frankfurt in November....

Good luck!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: Looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
My decision to go with a 2011 sedan instead of waiting for the 2012 was based on 6 years of refinement to the current model. I figured they had 6 years to get any bugs out if there were any. Also the 3 series changes have been pretty conservative over all with the last 2 generations so next years model probably won't be too radical. I think the over all styling is timeless and won't look out dated no matter what they change next year. I also feel that you can't buy a BMW and worry about it loosing it's value. If that bothers you than a lease option may be better. I bought mine because I have wanted one for for 24 years and I think it's the most beautiful, fun, driving machine I have owned to date. It's not the most expensive car, but raising a family on a single income and paying for college has prevented me from dropping over 40 grand on any car. I am also getting close to the big 50 so I didn't want to be to old and to feeble to enjoy the experience. Anyway buy one because you want one and get as many options as you can afford. Other than making a car drive by itself I can't see anything new to be offered in 2012.
You have identical thinking to me as well. Are those stock rims? How much did you pay out the door?

I am on the fence regarding this, but I feel the 4 cylinders will create issues seeing as it's new.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search