Steering column up and down DIY fix. - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starpup View Post
Did anyone with squeaking try this and has success? My wheel goes up down and out with no problems but when I stop or start the car it squeaks going up and down. Tried WD-40 and the hammer trick, no joy.

Thanks.
After some more forum research I threw some dialetic grease on it which was about $3 at autozone and the squeaking is gone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 AM
blessed

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745li
hey tanks guys the took me tens seconds, with a long enough flathead I only had to take the top piece off, however I may be slightly more flexible than others as well.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Thanks guys, for this easy solution to an annoying problem.

My steering wheel tilt jammed in the up position a month before my extended warranty ran out. The dealership said the tilt/telescope module needed to be replaced requiring the removal of the whole steering column... $1260!!

I don't know whether they were trying to rip me off or the extended warranty company.
Anyway, the warrantee would not cover this so I was resigned to go without the tilt feature - no way I was going to pay that much!

Last week I tried the screwdriver/hammer technique and it worked perfectly!
Thanks again!
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2013, 11:22 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vichugo View Post
Thanks guys, for this easy solution to an annoying problem.

My steering wheel tilt jammed in the up position a month before my extended warranty ran out. The dealership said the tilt/telescope module needed to be replaced requiring the removal of the whole steering column... $1260!!

I don't know whether they were trying to rip me off or the extended warranty company.
Anyway, the warrantee would not cover this so I was resigned to go without the tilt feature - no way I was going to pay that much!

Last week I tried the screwdriver/hammer technique and it worked perfectly!
Thanks again!
Glad The DIY helped out.

///E65 745I///22" Asanti AF128///H&R springs/// 12" JL W7///
Old 12-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI Alpine White
I have a question for those who did this fix. Is this an adjustable link? Reason I ask is I hate how high my steering wheel sits (its like driving a truck) I have always wanted to lower the steering wheel. Is there a way to lower the steering wheel more by making adjustments to this piece responsible for raising and lowering the steering wheel? or is mine possibly partially stuck not allowing full range of motion in lowering the wheel?? thanks in advance for any input you can give.

~Guy

1996 Maxima GXE (commuter/camping/Dogs are coming with, car)

2003 745LI Alpine White
Old 12-20-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Hi ssdriver,

Apparently there is a reinitialization of the tilt/telescope mechanism that might help you. Keif mentioned it in the following thread - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=telescoping

It could be that you don't have the full range of tilt.

Good luck.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745LI Alpine White
Quote:
Originally Posted by vichugo View Post
Hi ssdriver,

Apparently there is a reinitialization of the tilt/telescope mechanism that might help you. Keif mentioned it in the following thread - https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ht=telescoping

It could be that you don't have the full range of tilt.

Good luck.
Thanks. Now just to find someone near by that can do that.

1996 Maxima GXE (commuter/camping/Dogs are coming with, car)

2003 745LI Alpine White
Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 730D E65
Smile Steering Wheel Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
Just wanted to make a small DIY thread about a problem I had with my steering column not going up or down. I asked how much it would cost at the dealership to fix this problem. They told me that I would have to replace the whole steering column to fix it. They quoted me $800. Well I wasn’t going to pay the dealership $800. You can hear the motor trying to going up and down, when you hit the button. I took off the bottom cover in front of the gauge cluster and then I was able to see some of the linkage and steering column. There is a retainer clip that was stuck and causing the motor to lock up. I took a long screw driver and used a hammer to lightly wedge the screw driver tip into the clip. This was enough to free the linkage. This may not fix every ones steering column problem. But I would try this if you can hear the motor trying to go up and down.
Hi

I just want to say that your diagnoses is 100% spot on. I've just come back from my dealer who couldn't fix it quoting very big money to take panels off check wiring etc and that's before even fixing it. For a discounted price of £65 they told me this but did valet my car.

Got back, came on the forum and did exactly what you said and fixed it quicker than the dealer valeting it.

The only thing the job didn't work first time as I'm a complete novice so came back to the forum to double check. I did the same thing again but this time just put the screwdriver into the clip and just turned it slightly which just released the clip a bit.

Then just sprayed a bit of WD.

Did all this whilst brewing up.

Many thanks
Old 07-13-2014, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 bmw 745i
I know this is an old thread, but this is exactly what was wrong with mine! Awesome post! thank you
Old 07-13-2014, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Audi A8
This is what these forums are all about. It's all about saving money, avoiding the stealerships, and meeting some awesome people.

Glad this helped.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i (sold)
'07 Audi A8
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S (sold)
'15 Toyota Sienna Limited Premium w/Dynamic Cruise
'15 Infiniti Q50 Premium w/NAV & 19'' Wheels

www.balanceyourbodyph.com
Old 07-13-2014, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 745i
Good for you! Glad to hear this info helped you.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-12-2015, 01:32 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 735i 2002 E65
I have the codes: 5D30 MLSL- and 5D31 MLSN+. The column is not moving up and down. Is it a bad CIM module output stage or a bad motor?
Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Steering Column Comment

I just wanted to post a Thank You to Dannydos for posting the steering column fix. It took me 5 minutes to remove the cluster cover and tap the mechanism he suggested. My steering column is working like new...Thanks again!

Last edited by MagicMan32; 04-21-2015 at 01:13 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 740i sport and Z4 3.0
Just want to say thanks to the OP and others for their guidance on this problem.

The steering wheel stuck in the up position had been bugging me since I bought the car 6 months ago.
It took a good few whacks with the hammer and screwdriver and then a bit of WD40 but now I have a fully working adjustment - many thanks!
Old 07-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745li
Once again this forum delivers- this post nails the problem to a t and the fix is dead on. Took a few well placed taps on the end stop washer and it broke free. Just need to drop some lithium grease on the worm gear and it's another few hundred saved. Thanks guys, and esp for the pics.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:05 PM

Mein Auto: E38 E65
Thanks to this thread I was able to fix the same problem in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for the write up.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: E65 730D Sport
Question No luck so far...

Hi, I have the same problem with a 2004 730d. Unable to move the steering wheel up or down. I also had a problem where the wheel would move in when I stopped the engine but not move out once I start the car so I would have to move it out manually each time I drove it.

I removed all the plastic covers to give me access and located the washer. A few knocks with a hammer and screwdriver loosened it up and the washer can now move freely, even by hand.

It did not seem to make a difference to the up and down movement though. All I get is the same whining sound as if it's trying to move up or down. I tried wd40 and also gave it a bit of help to move out using a screw driver while moving the little joystick. No luck.

After giving up and while trying to get all the plastic pieces together again (I removed all parts on top and bottom of the steering coloumn) I tried to move it up and down but now there was no whining sound. I ejected the key and put it back in again and now suddenly for the first time the wheel moved out by itself!

Once I got everything back to together I tried the joystick again and the whine is back.

So I'm halfway there now but I just can't get up and down working.

Any advice on what to try next? I'm hoping it will suddenly start working by itself like one of the other members mentioned.

Thanks

Alex
Old 08-04-2015, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 745i
Glad this thread is still going strong.

///E65 745I///22" Asanti AF128///H&R springs/// 12" JL W7///
Old 09-15-2015, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
Thank you

Worked like a charm. Few tappy taps and tilt is now working perfectly. Thank you thank you. I love this place.
Old 11-18-2015, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li, BMW 745Li
Can anyone recommend the exact type of lubricant recommended for this procedure? Could someone maybe condense this into a 1,2,3 step tutorial? I am going to try it soon and I feel like I understand it. Very valuable information but could be organized into a great DIY. Thanks again to everyone who worked on this.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 760Li, BMW 745Li
Have to say a huge THANK YOU for this write up. My steering wheel would telescope but not move up and down, and was quoted a huge bill from BMW for a fix. Read this write up, gave the bolt mentioned a "tap" and magically this was fixed instantly. If this is a common issue for others it might make sense to sticky this post... solved my problem in minutes and saved me hundreds!
Old 05-07-2016, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 730i
Hello!
I 730I 2003 when it's hot (summer) always squeaks case of the steering wheel to move up and down. All moving parts have been blown WD40. see video...

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=video%2cmp4

idea ?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:19 AM

Mein Auto: 03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreienhe View Post
Just wanted to clear things up a bit:

1) The split washer and brass worm gear do turn together when they are free. This controls the up/down of the steering column not the in and out.

2) My steering column was stuck in the up position. The split washer was at the top of the worm gear making it easy to hit with the screwdriver and hammer. Initially i was hitting the split washer square in the groove perpendicular to the brass worm gear and nothing was budging. I then thought I probably should try to hit it at an angle to make it rotate as if the motor was driving the worm gear. One problem with this was that I wasn't sure which direction to try and drive the worm gear with the screw driver hits. If you go the wrong way it will only jam the brass worm gear and stop washer further into the ball nut "Gray/Tan thing over the Brass Worm Gear". I eventually got mine to free up by hitting the stop washer at an angle counter-clockwise. For a reference point counter-clockwise is equivalent to turning the steering wheel to the left as you are sitting in the driver's seat. Note: the brass worm gear and steering wheel are basically parallel to each other. I also use a little WD40 as some suggested and I stuffed a blue paper towel inside the steering column below the worm gear to catch any extra run off.

3) Don't forget to grease the area between the stop washer and the ball nut and also the entire worm gear with Lithium Grease.

In summary:

Column Stuck in the Upper Position = Try and force the washer and brass worm gear in the counter-clockwise direction

Column Stuck in the Lower Position = Try and force the washer and brass worm gear in the clockwise direction
I really appreciate the precision with which you described the solution .. thank you, kindly.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750i Sport
I had the same issue with my 2007 750i Sport. The telescoping adjustment was working fine but the vertical adjustment was stuck. I could hear the motor trying to start but nothing happened. Thanks to this tread I got it working by loosening the washer mentioned here. It appears as if the washer gets stuck/to the plastic piece underneath it. Giving the washer a little tap and push with a screwdriver got it to rotate again and the vertical adjustment works now!

The only thing I want to mention is that I found that by removing the column covers the adjustment mechanism is much more accessible. All it takes is removal of 3 screws and the covers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	563960   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	563961   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	563962   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	563963   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	563964  

Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	563965   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	563966  

Last edited by ilov2xlr8; 05-20-2016 at 09:41 PM.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: 740Li e66
Quote:
Originally Posted by denalixtc View Post
I fixed my issue, not sure if this is what the OP meant when he was trying to explain where to put the flat head but if it is this may help clarify...

My steering wheel would not go up and down, but it would go in and out. To fix the up and down i took a flat head screw driver and stuck it into the little gap in the washer looking thing pointed out by the green arrow in the picture below. I then tapped it with a hammer and it "unlocked"... I put some anti-seize on it and have yet to have the same issue. Hope this helps guys..

worked and fixed!
This is Korea and I own 740Li 2006.
I had hard time removing those bottom covers so I just tried from the top. I used a long flat driver reaching from above the steering wheel placing the flat head in that gap of the screw diagonally from the top and hammered few times so the flat head would be stuck in that gap, and then I just turned my screw driver so the flat head would turn as it opens the gap. and it was unlocked right away and the adjustment works fine. thank you for your tip!

Last edited by jeycho; 06-11-2016 at 09:57 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search