iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2013, 04:33 PM
dan_y97 dan_y97 is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 328Xi
iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails?

I am stunned....


I have a brand new 2014 328Xi. For the last 3 weeks I've been trying to get the iDrive to display text and email messages via my iPhone 4S with ios7. I've tried every setting of notifications, banners, email, unlock, etc. Nothing gets the "Office" in the iDrive to show new unread texts or emails.


Finally I called the service department of my dealer and was informed that the iPhone is not supported for this function. Ummmm....WTF??
You can even go to "www.bmwusa.com/Bluetooth" and enter in your phone and service provider and see that no matter what provider you put in or what iPhone... under the "Office - Accessing e-mail, SMS, calendar and tasks" section you'll see Red X's next to all functions, including email and SMS texts. Again... WTF?


BMW has always claimed to be closely supportive of Apple products...and they even had a TV COMMERCIAL demonstrating the car audio reading off Text Messages as they arrived. Now this function is not actually there.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by dan_y97; 11-19-2013 at 04:35 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM
HELLR0T HELLR0T is offline
It means bright red
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_y97 View Post
I am stunned....


I have a brand new 2014 328Xi. For the last 3 weeks I've been trying to get the iDrive to display text and email messages via my iPhone 4S with ios7. I've tried every setting of notifications, banners, email, unlock, etc. Nothing gets the "Office" in the iDrive to show new unread texts or emails.


Finally I called the service department of my dealer and was informed that the iPhone is not supported for this function. Ummmm....WTF??
You can even go to "www.bmwusa.com/Bluetooth" and enter in your phone and service provider and see that no matter what provider you put in or what iPhone... under the "Office - Accessing e-mail, SMS, calendar and tasks" section you'll see Red X's next to all functions, including email and SMS texts. Again... WTF?


BMW has always claimed to be closely supportive of Apple products...and they even had a TV COMMERCIAL demonstrating the car audio reading off Text Messages as they arrived. Now this function is not actually there.

Am I missing something?

It's officially not supported.

Do some research on the forums, it will work, at least for text messages.

What seems to work is having notifications active, as popups, not banners.

Make sure bluetooth notifications are turned on.

Plug in iphone to car, start connected drive app, if mail and txt apps are open... close them. Then you should start to get txts.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_y97 View Post
I am stunned....


I have a brand new 2014 328Xi. For the last 3 weeks I've been trying to get the iDrive to display text and email messages via my iPhone 4S with ios7. I've tried every setting of notifications, banners, email, unlock, etc. Nothing gets the "Office" in the iDrive to show new unread texts or emails.


Finally I called the service department of my dealer and was informed that the iPhone is not supported for this function. Ummmm....WTF??
You can even go to "www.bmwusa.com/Bluetooth" and enter in your phone and service provider and see that no matter what provider you put in or what iPhone... under the "Office - Accessing e-mail, SMS, calendar and tasks" section you'll see Red X's next to all functions, including email and SMS texts. Again... WTF?


BMW has always claimed to be closely supportive of Apple products...and they even had a TV COMMERCIAL demonstrating the car audio reading off Text Messages as they arrived. Now this function is not actually there.

Am I missing something?
No...your not missing a thing. Been through this issue today. iPhone just is not supported at all at this time. Though I did figure out how to get your calendar to show up. You need to download the app Bmw Conneted. You then need to go into your iPhone:
Settings..Privacy..Calendars..turn on Connected...Once inside your car connect iPhone via USB. Go into app. Go into office and you will see calendar. It will connect with your car and your info will appear. For now this is the only work around I found. Keep me in the loop please with any other info in regards to this issue.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 11-19-2013, 05:00 PM
HELLR0T HELLR0T is offline
It means bright red
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
Txt msgs and calendar work for me. Haven't cared enough to worry about e-mail. It is really picky, and like i said earlier you have to close the apps on your phone if they are open when you plug the phone in.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/64678...drive-display/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
It's officially not supported.

Do some research on the forums, it will work, at least for text messages.

What seems to work is having notifications active, as popups, not banners.

Make sure bluetooth notifications are turned on.

Plug in iphone to car, start connected drive app, if mail and txt apps are open... close them. Then you should start to get txts.
I've tried all that you have mentioned excluding connecting to BMW Connect App and still no texts.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2013, 05:05 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
Txt msgs and calendar work for me. Haven't cared enough to worry about e-mail. It is really picky, and like i said earlier you have to close the apps on your phone if they are open when you plug the phone in.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/news/64678...drive-display/
There talking about IOS 6. Any info on IOS 7?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2013, 05:50 PM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,742
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I have a 2011 and the iPhone does work. Set your phone notifications and make sure your email app is closed when you get in the car. Do not close the message app. I receive text and emails over my iDrive and have on IOS6 and IOS7. Search the forums as BJ has posted extensive information about this. Also you need to make sure your bluetooth software is current from BMW's website. It works on the iPhone 4S and up.
__________________
2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 11-19-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 PM
HELLR0T HELLR0T is offline
It means bright red
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails?

Same for ios 7.

You need to have connected drive app running in my experience


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2013, 06:54 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I have a 2011 and the iPhone does work. Set your phone notifications and make sure your email app is closed when you get in the car. Do not close the message app. I receive text and emails over my iDrive and have on IOS6 and IOS7. Search the forums as BJ has posted extensive information about this. Also you need to make sure your bluetooth software is current from BMW's website. It works on the iPhone 4S and up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
Same for ios 7.

You need to have connected drive app running in my experience


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Iam. So frustrating. I must be missing the last piece of the puzzle.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:23 PM
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
Banned
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,049
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidog24 View Post
Iam. So frustrating. I must be missing the last piece of the puzzle.
Do a Search on this forum, this has been discussed widely and the answers are there.

This has nothing to do with the BMW Connected App. You don't need it.

You need to be running both the most recent versions of iOS software and BMW iDrive firmware.

You need to go into Bluetooth settings on both iDrive and the iPhone and enable Office (BMW) and Bluetooth Messaging (iPhone).

You need to make sure the iPhone is set to display Notifications, meaning that when your phone's screen is dark a text or email wakes it up and displays a popup or a banner.

That will allow Texts to get through.

You need to turn off Bluetooth Audio on iDrive if you want to hear an alert sound, otherwise you are looking for a tiny envelope icon next to the clock on the LCD which is challenging.

To get Emails, you need to start the car, wait for iDrive to boot up, then go into your iPhone and close the email app. You need to do this every time you start the car or email notifications won't work.

Spoiler alert: It's not worth your time. You should be using Siri. Just press and hold the Home button on the iPhone. From there, say "read text messages" or "send an email to my wife" and you're done. I don't use BMW's email or text services at all. Too many clicks to get to the information. Only allows you to read, not to send. Siri is the answer.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-19-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Do a Search on this forum, this has been discussed widely and the answers are there.

This has nothing to do with the BMW Connected App. You don't need it.

You need to be running both the most recent versions of iOS software and BMW iDrive firmware.

You need to go into Bluetooth settings on both iDrive and the iPhone and enable Office (BMW) and Bluetooth Messaging (iPhone).

You need to make sure the iPhone is set to display Notifications, meaning that when your phone's screen is dark a text or email wakes it up and displays a popup or a banner.

That will allow Texts to get through.

You need to turn off Bluetooth Audio on iDrive if you want to hear an alert sound, otherwise you are looking for a tiny envelope icon next to the clock on the LCD which is challenging.

To get Emails, you need to start the car, wait for iDrive to boot up, then go into your iPhone and close the email app. You need to do this every time you start the car or email notifications won't work.

Spoiler alert: It's not worth your time. You should be using Siri. Just press and hold the Home button on the iPhone. From there, say "read text messages" or "send an email to my wife" and you're done. I don't use BMW's email or text services at all. Too many clicks to get to the information. Only allows you to read, not to send. Siri is the answer.

BJ
Siri it is tomorrow. Though one question....where is Bluetooth messaging in iPhone settings? I've looked in Bluetooth but not there....thank you!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 PM
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
Banned
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,049
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidog24 View Post
Siri it is tomorrow. Though one question....where is Bluetooth messaging in iPhone settings? I've looked in Bluetooth but not there....thank you!
In the iPhone, you go to Settings > Bluetooth. Find the BMW entry. Click the little letter "I" in the blue circle. Turn Bluetooth Notifications to "On".

As for Siri, it's amazing. "What's tomorrow's weather like?" "What time is my first appointment?" "When is the next Rangers game?" "Send an email to my boss." "Find nearest Burger King." "Who won the most American League MVP's in MLB history?"

It's endless. Most importantly, Siri is a much better way to have your texts read to you and respond than BMW could ever do.

BJ
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
SNye45 SNye45 is offline
Registered User
Location: Redmond,OR
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 92
Mein Auto: 2014 328xi
You can send e-mails through Siri.

Just hold the "talk" button on the steering wheel long enough for Siri to answer you. Then dictate your message through Siri.
__________________

2014 BMW 328xi Sport Line

Orion Silver
Premium Package
Lighting Package
Dynamic Handling Package
Tech Package
Cold Weather Package

Love it!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-19-2013, 08:50 PM
MonkeyDigsBMW's Avatar
MonkeyDigsBMW MonkeyDigsBMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
I don't think Siri will read your emails to you. Texts, yes, emails- no. Another tip, if you hold the iPhone home button down to activate Siri you can say "launch Pandora" or "launch Stitcher" to launch those apps and have them show up in iDrive. Unfortunately for some reason you cannot do this command when activating Siri through the steering wheel. It knows you are hooked up to the car and won't do it but holding the Home button on the phone works. Very weird. I am able to activate MOG, Stitcher, Glympse and Pandora this way although I have to open the console and press the phone but I can do it without looking.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
In the iPhone, you go to Settings > Bluetooth. Find the BMW entry. Click the little letter "I" in the blue circle. Turn Bluetooth Notifications to "On".

As for Siri, it's amazing. "What's tomorrow's weather like?" "What time is my first appointment?" "When is the next Rangers game?" "Send an email to my boss." "Find nearest Burger King." "Who won the most American League MVP's in MLB history?"

It's endless. Most importantly, Siri is a much better way to have your texts read to you and respond than BMW could ever do.

BJ
Thank you BJ, Siri never played nice with my 2011 iDrive in my 135. The only way to use her was to disconnect my Bluetooth in my car. When my iPhone was paired up she didn't like it..as far as my configuration in iPhone settings my notifications have always been turned on with my 2014. Sandy
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsBMW View Post
I don't think Siri will read your emails to you. Texts, yes, emails- no. Another tip, if you hold the iPhone home button down to activate Siri you can say "launch Pandora" or "launch Stitcher" to launch those apps and have them show up in iDrive. Unfortunately for some reason you cannot do this command when activating Siri through the steering wheel. It knows you are hooked up to the car and won't do it but holding the Home button on the phone works. Very weird. I am able to activate MOG, Stitcher, Glympse and Pandora this way although I have to open the console and press the phone but I can do it without looking.
How do you like ur new ride? If not mistaken we were on the same ship, Rigel Leader. We're u able to get your text messages to work through your iDrive? If so what kind of phone are you using? Thxs Sandy.......
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-20-2013, 11:27 AM
MonkeyDigsBMW's Avatar
MonkeyDigsBMW MonkeyDigsBMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails?

I love the car. It's everything I had hoped for....except the emails and texts. Texts come through once in awhile. Never got emails yet although I have not yet tried jamesbolts advice. Not sure the rhyme or reason behind when texts do or don't work yet. I have an iPhone 5.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2014 328ix GT (F34), M Sport, Alpine White, Beige Int, DHP, Lighting Pkg, Driver Assit, Tech/Nav, Park Assist, Heated Fronts, Harmon Kardon, Premium Pkg., Side & Top View Cams.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM
HELLR0T HELLR0T is offline
It means bright red
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails?

Has anyone gotten voice commands for writing a text to work?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-20-2013, 06:26 PM
pony_trekker pony_trekker is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NY
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 2,588
Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
Txt msgs and calendar work for me. Haven't cared enough to worry about e-mail.
Seriously. I get in the car to avoid email.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 11-20-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELLR0T View Post
Has anyone gotten voice commands for writing a text to work?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
If using a iPhone Siri intergrates great with the new iDrive. Just ask her to send a text and it works flawlessly.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:15 PM
Skidog24 Skidog24 is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDigsBMW View Post
I love the car. It's everything I had hoped for....except the emails and texts. Texts come through once in awhile. Never got emails yet although I have not yet tried jamesbolts advice. Not sure the rhyme or reason behind when texts do or don't work yet. I have an iPhone 5.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Just got texts to work, this is progress. Now I just can't delete them. I press the delete button on the iDrive / Office and nothing. Baby steps!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:48 PM
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
Banned
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 9,049
Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidog24 View Post
Just got texts to work, this is progress. Now I just can't delete them. I press the delete button on the iDrive / Office and nothing. Baby steps!
You can't delete them.

But the next time you start the car, poof, they're gone. Magic.

BJ
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-20-2013, 08:58 PM
rayg rayg is offline
Registered User
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 78
Mein Auto: 08 335i
Texts work for me in idrive but its pretty much pointless, it's easier and safer to just look at them on your phone than try to navigate thru 14 menus to get to the text message in idrive.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-20-2013, 10:36 PM
MonkeyDigsBMW's Avatar
MonkeyDigsBMW MonkeyDigsBMW is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Woodland Hills, CA
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 2014 328ix GT
iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails?

Program one of the 8 shortcut keys. Boltjam3s, you want to handle this one.....?


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
2014 328ix GT (F34), M Sport, Alpine White, Beige Int, DHP, Lighting Pkg, Driver Assit, Tech/Nav, Park Assist, Heated Fronts, Harmon Kardon, Premium Pkg., Side & Top View Cams.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-21-2013, 02:06 AM
HELLR0T HELLR0T is offline
It means bright red
Location: Orlando
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 808
Mein Auto: 96 E36, 14 F30
iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Seriously. I get in the car to avoid email.
Kind of why Im not too upset about. Just a fact of the matter, it should work! Ha


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.