iPhone not supported on iDrive for Texts and Emails? - Page 3 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neliveto View Post
I don't see a need for a silenced indicator because there's a dedicated switch on the side. On Android you need it because there's no switch. I agree that the Contacts app is not very useful, why not just use the Phone app where you can access your favorite contacts?

I actually bought a $50 Android for my mom and it didn't even show missed calls or text messages on the lock screen and there was no low battery notification, wtf? I had to download apps to get those features. So I guess there's no phone that can do everything out of the box, but you can download apps for most things.
Isn't it weird that they employ a HW switch for the ringer in a smartphone? Who looks at it? It's not like the state of the switch is staring at you from the front of the phone. Even so, why not show the state of the ringer on/off on the home screen? It is useful information. I just noticed something else strange. I can add a favorite from within the contacts app but there's no way to view the favorite that I just added. Now that's strange.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2016, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 acura tl
suggestions reg text messages and contact photos?

Hi, have first bmw; 2016 435. coded for enhanced BT. Have iphone 6plus with ios 9.2.
Can get email and calendar if usb and office, although have to enter the stupid password before each trip (my understnading there's no way around this) Calendar works well.

On the phone BT settings, the BMW has banner and "show notifications" checked

1. Cannot receive text messages
2. no contact photos. (tried saving few contacts to car also)

Anyone have any suggestions on getting theses to work. Have been searching but not finding any solutions that work.

Also, although I activated dragon drive for the 60 day trial, I don't see to use it. clicking reply to an email doesn't do anything.

am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 06-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 320i xDrive F30 LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMK5 View Post
Isn't it weird that they employ a HW switch for the ringer in a smartphone? Who looks at it? It's not like the state of the switch is staring at you from the front of the phone. Even so, why not show the state of the ringer on/off on the home screen?
The HW switch is very useful. I can put the ringer on mute without taking the phone out of my pocket. And there's no need to see the state of the switch. You can feel it with your fingers.

As for the contacts app, I don't understand its purpose. The Phone app has the same features and more. Maybe they felt sorry for the guy who coded the contacts app so they decided to include it for his sake, but they put it in the extras folder so that no one would actually use it.

Last edited by Neliveto; 06-08-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2019, 08:38 AM
Yetayrick

Mein Auto: 2016 328i Xdrive
Not sure if you're still here, but just bought a 2016 F30 328i xdrive and for the life of me, I've tried all suggestions here and still can't get my iPhone 6s messages to show on the screen? At one point, I did see my daughter's messages, when I went into "office", not they won't even show? Am I suppose to be able to see them on the "ConnectDrive" while I'm in the car? Thanks
Old 06-23-2019, 03:04 PM
You Don't Need to Know

Mein Auto: '14 328xi Sport Line
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetayrick View Post
Not sure if you're still here, but just bought a 2016 F30 328i xdrive and for the life of me, I've tried all suggestions here and still can't get my iPhone 6s messages to show on the screen? At one point, I did see my daughter's messages, when I went into "office", not they won't even show? Am I suppose to be able to see them on the "ConnectDrive" while I'm in the car? Thanks
It sounds like you are looking for historic messages? The only messages that will appear in your Office are messages that are incoming while you are in the car at that time. When you start the car, you won't see old messages, even unread messages, that you did not receive since the car was started. When you shut down the car, any text messages in Office go away.

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Old 06-23-2019, 03:20 PM
Yetayrick

I'm wanting to see new messages as they come in while I'm driving. Is there a way to see them on the screen? Or do they just go into "office" messages? When a text comes in, I hear my music decrease in volume but nothing shows on the screen. Sorry I'm new to Beemers.

Sent from my iPhone

__________________________________________________ _____
Old 06-24-2019, 12:25 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 540i; 428 GC; 340i 6MT
AFAIK a "Beemer" driver does not have the option to view texts or emails, as a "Beemer" is a BMW motorcycle (BMW Motorrad). Your BMW passenger car or SAV is properly referred to as a "Bimmer", hence the name of this website. Just one of the many secret handshakes you need to learn in Bimmerland.
2016 428 GC MSport

Prior BMW's
2015 X1 35i xDrive
2015 X1 28i xDrive
2014 535i MSport
2014 328i SportWagon
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 06-24-2019, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2017 VW GTI Sport MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetayrick View Post
I'm wanting to see new messages as they come in while I'm driving. Is there a way to see them on the screen? Or do they just go into "office" messages? When a text comes in, I hear my music decrease in volume but nothing shows on the screen. Sorry I'm new to Beemers.

Sent from my iPhone

__________________________________________________ _____
You have to have a certain package for this to happen or be using Apple Car Play for texts.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM
Yetayrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
AFAIK a "Beemer" driver does not have the option to view texts or emails, as a "Beemer" is a BMW motorcycle (BMW Motorrad). Your BMW passenger car or SAV is properly referred to as a "Bimmer", hence the name of this website. Just one of the many secret handshakes you need to learn in Bimmerland.
LOL, Got it! I'm official now..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search