LED headlight halogen F30 2014 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-09-2015, 02:57 AM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
LED headlight halogen F30 2014

any suggestions on which brand is the best LED light replacement on stock halogen on my F30 ?? I didnt get to upgrade my headlight to LED itself because its still expensive. serious reply please thank you. much better if you can send or post a picture for comparison thank you guys.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 12-09-2015, 04:17 AM
kmersh kmersh is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 129
Mein Auto: 2016 BMW 328i
A colleague installed LED Replacement Angel Eyes bulbs on his X5 from Precision LED and it seems to work well and he was able to do it himself and he openly admits that he usually goes to the mechanic for any sort of work, but this was basically plug and play.

Not really sure if that helps you or not as I do not have any pictures or first hand knowledge, just what he told me.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2015, 04:43 AM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
ohhh okay.. well on my 320i my headlight is like the old school one where you use halogen bulbs. I just want to know if I can upgrade the BULB to LED lights. "just the BULB" I wanted to change the BULB light but not the headlight itself. because I look around how much the LED headlight is, and it is $800 a piece which is of course expensive. that is why for now I just want to replace the BULB only to LED lights without changing the headlight to LED too. LOL I guess Im being redundant here trying to explain my side LOL


https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...49751265644175


look at the headlight of this car its the same as mine I jst want to change to bulb. thats it. cause with my stock halogen lights the visibility is poor can't barely see on wide open highway roads.

Last edited by marvinzalamea; 12-09-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 12-09-2015, 04:53 AM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
http://file.kelleybluebookimages.com...43_640x480.jpg


This is the exact same headlight I have but I only want to change the bulb to LED. would it be possible?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-09-2015, 11:59 AM
JOEYPDX JOEYPDX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2011 335D
There is this bulb from JLevistreetworks.

https://jlevisw.com/Accessories-for-...og-Light-Bulb/

I bought it but I'm unsure of what the light pattern will do or if it will blind oncoming drivers. I had intended on putting them into my car to test them but for reasons I cannot understand BMW makes replacing the low beam halogen bulbs an act of god to complete. I tried recently to do this and could never get the bulbs back in - and I had to go to the dealer to have them reinstall my regular halogen bulb (thank fully they did it for free, but apparently the service tech has a special tool to help him get the bulbs in). I went with a high performance light bulb (BMW branded but I think it's Sylvania that makes one too for H7 bulbs) and it does help but still looks - well low rent.

If you want those LED bulbs I have (they are new in the box) I'd sell them to you as I have no desire to try to put them in again. I think the best way is to take off the front tires so you can access the openings to the headlights easier. You have to go through a wheel well cover and then remove the rear headlight access cover. It is sharp and not easy.
__________________
2011 335d-sold. Off to VW
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2015, 02:28 PM
BMWMosi BMWMosi is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2018 440i, 2015 i3
I got the same ones as Joey and installed them a couple of weeks back. I struggled big time because the access is a pain, so I just said F it and removed the front wheels, which would have saved me a BUNCH of time if I had started that way. There are 3 metal tabs in the light housing that you'll really need to bend in an inward fashion to keep the new LED base in place, but it doesn't hurt anything by doing so.

They are a huge improvement over the crappy halogens and I can see a lot better when it's wet. I have yet to get flashed by any other drivers so I think they are good to go. One thing that is odd with them is that when the lamp switch is on auto or off/DRL, the lights will flicker at start up for a few seconds and will also flicker for a second or two every few mins. This is the cold/warm check signal that the computer sends out that causes it. It doesn't happen when the headlights are set to on when starting up, though. It annoyed me so I coded out the cold/warm checks and enabled the low beams for LED and they don't flicker anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-09-2015, 02:41 PM
u3b3rg33k u3b3rg33k is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,437
Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvinzalamea View Post
any suggestions on which brand is the best LED light replacement on stock halogen on my F30 ?? I didnt get to upgrade my headlight to LED itself because its still expensive. serious reply please thank you. much better if you can send or post a picture for comparison thank you guys.
Aftermarket LED bulbs don't hold a candle to the OEM LEDs. you're kinda SOL there.
__________________
e30: '87 325i: MAF+WAR chip, long tube STAHL headers, 5MT swap, 4.27 torsen
e60: '08 550i M-sport, 6MT, ARC, Active Steering, 19" wheel delete
R1100S - oilhead FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-09-2015, 02:43 PM
JOEYPDX JOEYPDX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2011 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMosi View Post
I got the same ones as Joey and installed them a couple of weeks back. I struggled big time because the access is a pain, so I just said F it and removed the front wheels, which would have saved me a BUNCH of time if I had started that way. There are 3 metal tabs in the light housing that you'll really need to bend in an inward fashion to keep the new LED base in place, but it doesn't hurt anything by doing so.

They are a huge improvement over the crappy halogens and I can see a lot better when it's wet. I have yet to get flashed by any other drivers so I think they are good to go. One thing that is odd with them is that when the lamp switch is on auto or off/DRL, the lights will flicker at start up for a few seconds and will also flicker for a second or two every few mins. This is the cold/warm check signal that the computer sends out that causes it. It doesn't happen when the headlights are set to on when starting up, though. It annoyed me so I coded out the cold/warm checks and enabled the low beams for LED and they don't flicker anymore.
Hmmm, this gives me hope. And you're a fellow Portlander too I don't have a jack or lug wrench but had ordered it (after the last fiasco) and think the package arrived today. I might try once more to install them and remove the wheels first since I wasn't able to before. I too have a lot of difficulty seeing the road well when it rains here - which is quite a bit as of late as you know.

I have a lot of other external LED lights on my car (blinkers, DRL, brake, etc) so have coded as well to get the flickering taken care of and I'm sure I can code these too.
__________________
2011 335d-sold. Off to VW
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-09-2015, 02:48 PM
BMWMosi BMWMosi is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2018 440i, 2015 i3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYPDX View Post
Hmmm, this gives me hope. And you're a fellow Portlander too I don't have a jack or lug wrench but had ordered it (after the last fiasco) and think the package arrived today. I might try once more to install them and remove the wheels first since I wasn't able to before. I too have a lot of difficulty seeing the road well when it rains here - which is quite a bit as of late as you know.

I have a lot of other external LED lights on my car (blinkers, DRL, brake, etc) so have coded as well to get the flickering taken care of and I'm sure I can code these too.
Let me know if you need a hand. I've got a 3 ton floor jack and the necessary tools to get the lugs off. I'm in West Portland near St. Vincent Hospital.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-09-2015, 02:50 PM
JOEYPDX JOEYPDX is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 301
Mein Auto: 2011 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMosi View Post
Let me know if you need a hand. I've got a 3 ton floor jack and the necessary tools to get the lugs off. I'm in West Portland near St. Vincent Hospital.
Oh cool! I'm downtown but I know that area. Then we can yell expletives at the car.
__________________
2011 335d-sold. Off to VW
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-10-2015, 06:43 PM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
So you're still using the OEM halogen bulb lights?? damn I should've bought add on LED lights when I bought my car. now Im having this problem LOL

so yea this halogen stock bulb is so poor in visibility specially when its raining.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-10-2015, 06:45 PM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWMosi View Post
I got the same ones as Joey and installed them a couple of weeks back. I struggled big time because the access is a pain, so I just said F it and removed the front wheels, which would have saved me a BUNCH of time if I had started that way. There are 3 metal tabs in the light housing that you'll really need to bend in an inward fashion to keep the new LED base in place, but it doesn't hurt anything by doing so.

They are a huge improvement over the crappy halogens and I can see a lot better when it's wet. I have yet to get flashed by any other drivers so I think they are good to go. One thing that is odd with them is that when the lamp switch is on auto or off/DRL, the lights will flicker at start up for a few seconds and will also flicker for a second or two every few mins. This is the cold/warm check signal that the computer sends out that causes it. It doesn't happen when the headlights are set to on when starting up, though. It annoyed me so I coded out the cold/warm checks and enabled the low beams for LED and they don't flicker anymore.


can you post some pictures? I just wanna see it.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-10-2015, 06:45 PM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEYPDX View Post
There is this bulb from JLevistreetworks.

https://jlevisw.com/Accessories-for-...og-Light-Bulb/

I bought it but I'm unsure of what the light pattern will do or if it will blind oncoming drivers. I had intended on putting them into my car to test them but for reasons I cannot understand BMW makes replacing the low beam halogen bulbs an act of god to complete. I tried recently to do this and could never get the bulbs back in - and I had to go to the dealer to have them reinstall my regular halogen bulb (thank fully they did it for free, but apparently the service tech has a special tool to help him get the bulbs in). I went with a high performance light bulb (BMW branded but I think it's Sylvania that makes one too for H7 bulbs) and it does help but still looks - well low rent.

If you want those LED bulbs I have (they are new in the box) I'd sell them to you as I have no desire to try to put them in again. I think the best way is to take off the front tires so you can access the openings to the headlights easier. You have to go through a wheel well cover and then remove the rear headlight access cover. It is sharp and not easy.


So you're still using the OEM halogen bulb lights?? damn I should've bought add on LED lights when I bought my car. now Im having this problem LOL

so yea this halogen stock bulb is so poor in visibility specially when its raining.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-10-2015, 08:07 PM
marvinzalamea marvinzalamea is offline
Registered User
Location: houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 31
Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by u3b3rg33k View Post
Aftermarket LED bulbs don't hold a candle to the OEM LEDs. you're kinda SOL there.


Do you have it installed in your car?? can you post picture? thank you
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-11-2015, 07:05 AM
u3b3rg33k u3b3rg33k is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 2,437
Mein Auto: e30, e60, R1100S
No I have adaptive xenon. I've seen the housing differences between the new cars with halogen, and the LEDs. changing the light source alone in a halogen reflector housing will not bring them on to the big boys' playing field.

you're comparing this:



to this:
__________________
e30: '87 325i: MAF+WAR chip, long tube STAHL headers, 5MT swap, 4.27 torsen
e60: '08 550i M-sport, 6MT, ARC, Active Steering, 19" wheel delete
R1100S - oilhead FTW
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeNoo View Post
Although I have nothing scientific to say, I can confidently say that it works.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
If you want to use the fuhrers snowmobile you gotta have das tires
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-11-2015, 11:20 AM
BMWMosi BMWMosi is offline
Registered User
Location: Portland, OR
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2018 440i, 2015 i3
Our X1 has adaptive Xenons and they definitely look a ton better than the LEDs in the F30 halogen housing. But compared with the stock halogen bulbs, the LED replacements (bulb only) is night and day. I'll more than likely swap out the entire lamps in the next few months for the Xenons or LEDs. Just have to save those pennies and get through Christmas.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2017, 02:31 PM
amritanshukar amritanshukar is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: Florida
Hi everyone,

I went through the post a number of times. I have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I bought my 2013 BMW 328i recently, unfortunately with the halogen housings. I replaced
1. High/Low beams with H7 Phillips Diamond Vision - 5000k
2. PW24W Parking Bulbs with iJDMTOY 42-SMD - 6000k
3. 13-SMD-5050 DRLs with iJDMTOY 5050 SMD - 6000k

Its a much cheaper option, than to change the entire housing for sure. Now, I was quite happy with arrangement until I found out about the varying color temperature. Both my Parking bulbs and DRL's are at 6000k color temperature but I could not find Halogen H7's with 6000k, the Phillips ones are 5000k. Other way round, I could not find DRL's and parking lights of 5000k.

The parking lights and the low beams light up together and color difference looks so off between the two. I love the look of 6000k bluish white light.

Has anyone able to find 6000k H7 halogens online ? or maybe 5000k PW24W LEDS ?

My second question is I have 2 pairs of H7 Auxbeam F-S2 series LEDs lying around. They are good bright 6000k LEDs for both high beams and low beams, alas they do not fit the F30 halogen housings, given the fact that I can code warm and cold checks, is it possible for me to use a converter for the same, I tried two of the converters from amazon but none of them fit.
Does any one know a set of LED's or converters for the above H7's that fit F30 halogen housings ?

I know its a long post, but I just hope some one would reply ? Your help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Beholder Beholder is offline
Registered User
Location: East Longmeadow, MA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by amritanshukar View Post
Hi everyone,

I went through the post a number of times. I have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I bought my 2013 BMW 328i recently, unfortunately with the halogen housings. I replaced
1. High/Low beams with H7 Phillips Diamond Vision - 5000k
2. PW24W Parking Bulbs with iJDMTOY 42-SMD - 6000k
3. 13-SMD-5050 DRLs with iJDMTOY 5050 SMD - 6000k

Its a much cheaper option, than to change the entire housing for sure. Now, I was quite happy with arrangement until I found out about the varying color temperature. Both my Parking bulbs and DRL's are at 6000k color temperature but I could not find Halogen H7's with 6000k, the Phillips ones are 5000k. Other way round, I could not find DRL's and parking lights of 5000k.

The parking lights and the low beams light up together and color difference looks so off between the two. I love the look of 6000k bluish white light.

Has anyone able to find 6000k H7 halogens online ? or maybe 5000k PW24W LEDS ?

My second question is I have 2 pairs of H7 Auxbeam F-S2 series LEDs lying around. They are good bright 6000k LEDs for both high beams and low beams, alas they do not fit the F30 halogen housings, given the fact that I can code warm and cold checks, is it possible for me to use a converter for the same, I tried two of the converters from amazon but none of them fit.
Does any one know a set of LED's or converters for the above H7's that fit F30 halogen housings ?

I know its a long post, but I just hope some one would reply ? Your help is appreciated.


I just ordered these 6000k LEDs from Bimmin

https://bimmian.com/Accessories-for-...og-Light-Bulb/

I also ordered A set of the Spektrum DRLs and A set of their Spektrum Fog lights since I saw mixed reviews regarding reliability on those iJDMTOY bulbs.

They are a little pricey but seem to be quality all have a lifetime warranty so I felt it worth the premium price.

If you signed up for their news letter and add them to your cart. Before ordering I got an email from Ed (a sales rep) with a code for 10% off. (Code was one time use or I'd give it to you). if you do the same I'll sure someone will reach out as well.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:28 PM
tturedraider's Avatar
tturedraider tturedraider is offline
Freedom isn't free!!
Location: Chicago, Edgewater (via Tennessee & Texas)
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 19,692
Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
6000k will put out significantly less usable light than 5000k.
__________________

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-12-2017, 12:41 PM
amritanshukar amritanshukar is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: Florida
Thanks for the response, let me check these out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-12-2017, 11:14 PM
BimmerBoy328 BimmerBoy328 is offline
Registered User
Location: Bay Area
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2013 328i
About 600 and is the best upgrade to halos matching the halogen connector plan to do this soon to my car.


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-13-2017, 05:39 AM
2015msport 2015msport is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 2015 328xi Msport
Here is what I did.
Very happy.

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ighlight=putco
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:29 AM
Beholder Beholder is offline
Registered User
Location: East Longmeadow, MA
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by amritanshukar View Post
Thanks for the response, let me check these out.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


So I just got my Lights installed (headlights, fog lights and DRLs.) I attempted to do the Parking lights but I apparently ordered the wrong bulb so will get those in next week.

The only problem I'm having is a momentary blink every min or so on the headlights- i coded the Fog lights and Blinkers per the coding cheat sheet but didn't see anything on how to code the headlights.

Does anyone know of the coding for those?




Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 07-24-2017, 02:56 PM
SIRI_F30 SIRI_F30 is offline
Registered User
Location: Orlando, FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: BMW 328i 2014 Sports Line
This might help... they're great bulbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by amritanshukar View Post
Hi everyone,

I went through the post a number of times. I have a couple of queries.

Firstly, I bought my 2013 BMW 328i recently, unfortunately with the halogen housings. I replaced
1. High/Low beams with H7 Phillips Diamond Vision - 5000k
2. PW24W Parking Bulbs with iJDMTOY 42-SMD - 6000k
3. 13-SMD-5050 DRLs with iJDMTOY 5050 SMD - 6000k

Its a much cheaper option, than to change the entire housing for sure. Now, I was quite happy with arrangement until I found out about the varying color temperature. Both my Parking bulbs and DRL's are at 6000k color temperature but I could not find Halogen H7's with 6000k, the Phillips ones are 5000k. Other way round, I could not find DRL's and parking lights of 5000k.

The parking lights and the low beams light up together and color difference looks so off between the two. I love the look of 6000k bluish white light.

Has anyone able to find 6000k H7 halogens online ? or maybe 5000k PW24W LEDS ?

My second question is I have 2 pairs of H7 Auxbeam F-S2 series LEDs lying around. They are good bright 6000k LEDs for both high beams and low beams, alas they do not fit the F30 halogen housings, given the fact that I can code warm and cold checks, is it possible for me to use a converter for the same, I tried two of the converters from amazon but none of them fit.
Does any one know a set of LED's or converters for the above H7's that fit F30 halogen housings ?

I know its a long post, but I just hope some one would reply ? Your help is appreciated.
I buy my H7 and H8 from this website, or from them through eBay, they're great bulbs and they carry multiple temperature colors.
http://www.gp-thunder.net/
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.