Fault Code Currently Present - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-13-2018, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: F32 435i
Fault Code Currently Present

Hi,

I was reading the fault codes with ISTA+ on my F32 using ICOM nextz.

I'm seeing the following FAULT:

SGBD: GSB231
BNTN: EGS-GKEB23-EGS
code: 0xCF1541
Description: Message (group fault 3 - effect on driving: none): Receiver EGS, transmitter DME/DDE
Is currently present: YES

Does anyone know what the cause of this is, and how I can further debug and resolve it?

I have a few months left on my CPO warranty, but wasn't sure if BMW would charge me an arm and leg to fix this or not..

Any tips appreciated. Thanks so much!

Last edited by R3L3NTL3SS; 08-13-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 04:24 AM
Kostspieliger Spaß Quandt

Mein Auto: e46;e92;f30;e83, AMv8v
Check wire harness connections on the tranny for looseness or oil contamination.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
Check wire harness connections on the tranny for looseness or oil contamination.
Sounds good, thanks! Do you think fixing this code would be covered under warranty? It's the only code that's being thrown in my car right now, and not sure if they would brush it off as "insignificant"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2018, 11:39 AM

I definitely think the fault code is under warranty. The fault code refers to the communication between the engine ECU and the transmission ECU.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 440i GC xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3L3NTL3SS View Post
Sounds good, thanks! Do you think fixing this code would be covered under warranty? It's the only code that's being thrown in my car right now, and not sure if they would brush it off as "insignificant"
They can't say yes or no if you don't ask.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coercion Shaman View Post
They can't say yes or no if you don't ask.
True, but everytime i drive into the service center with a problem, they always warn me that if they find that they won't cover it under warranty after performing the diagnosis, i'll be charged $250.

I'm in the bay area though, so that could be why..
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 PM

Update:

Ended up paying the $253 diagnostic fee, and was told that because this is an info code and doesn't affect driving, BMW won't cover this under warranty. They apparently checked the wiring and found no issues. They also said that they were able to clear the code, but after going home and hooking up ISTA+ with an ICOM NEXT device, I still see the same code there...
Old 08-20-2018, 04:49 AM

Not sure why you bothered going to BMW? The error itself said Group fault 3 - no effect on driving. If BMW actually cleared an error code did you not ask why the code was active (cause)? Either the error code is not really there, triggered again or perhaps your ISTA setup is looking for something that is not on your car (i.e. possibly a transfer case). I commonly get DME errors that I know aren't real cause the car I'm scanning doesn't have the equipment the scanner is looking for, even after the vehicle ID step.

Last edited by BMW-North; 08-20-2018 at 04:55 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3L3NTL3SS View Post
Update:

Ended up paying the $253 diagnostic fee, and was told that because this is an info code and doesn't affect driving, BMW won't cover this under warranty. They apparently checked the wiring and found no issues. They also said that they were able to clear the code, but after going home and hooking up ISTA+ with an ICOM NEXT device, I still see the same code there...
My 4 year old 328i was in the shop probably 10 times to investigate
problems while under warranty. I was never charged an analysis fee when no repair was required and I live in the pricey Metro Washington D.C. area. All of my work is performed by the selling dealer. I have chosen not to buy a code reader because it only translates error codes. It does not analyze the codes, point to solutions and most importantly fix problems on a complex automobile. I choose to let trained experts do that work.

I wonder if you are overusing the code reader and the dealer is trying to control your impulses with an analysis fee. Did a system error message or operating problem with the car cause you to hook up the reader initially? If you are just hooking the reader up out of curiosity I think you should put it back on the shelf. Just rely on the internal monitoring system and how the car is running.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search