Watch the Video and answer the poll question kindly - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

View Poll Results: What is the source of this knocking noise?
Engine 1 100.00%
Transmission 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-25-2017, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: F30, 335i
Watch the Video and answer the poll question kindly

Hello guys,

Kindly, I need your expertise and advice.
I had a very long story with my dealer. I don’t want to waste your time so here is the summary .
I have a 2012 F30 335i which is still under extended warranty. I took it to the dealer after I heard a weird squealing noise that sounded like a loose belt just before the car goes into ready mode when auto stop/start function is on. After many visits to the dealer because of misdiagnoses, many parts were changed in a try to solve the problem:
• Rear engine crank seal
• Front engine crank seal
• Valve cover change
• Car was reprogrammed
These are the parts and things that I know about. I don’t know what else might have been done to the car. Squealing noise was solved, and I think it was a bad PCV because the dealer didn’t tell me the real cause of the problem. They claim the noise was caused by all the above mentioned parts.
I got into the car at the dealer and I took off. As I did, I noticed that the ticking noise of the engine was higher than usual, it sounded more like knocking now. After the car got to operating temp I heard a vibration noise whenever I stopped at traffic lights. I paid more attention to morning start ups, and I noticec puff of smoke that lasts for almost 10 seconds.
The dealer’s diagnoses concerning the vibration noise was “bad torque converter”. As for the knocking noise, the Service Manager objected my suggestion of bad fuel injectors or hydraulic lifters.
Following a long process of hustle and bustle, dealer changed the transmission with a new one under extended warranty. Fuel injectors were changed as well.
Now, I still have all the noises. The puff of smoke they claim to be normal. Nothing has changed. Moreover, the Service Manager now blames the knocking noise on the transmission. After BMW Service Manager informed me that the knocking noise is caused by the transmission, and not only the old transmission, but also the NEW ONE, I decided that I’ve had enough. Here is a literal quotation of his explanation in his what’s app message he sent me:
BMW Service Manager
“This is the sound from transmission it will never go away.” Then he says, “sometimes we(BMW get) lucky (when changing the transmission) and it (the noise)reduces but it is there on certain engine and transmission combinations 5 series was mostly effected but it also because we sold mostly 5 series with same combination.”
What he is saying is that BMWs with N55 engines & 8hp-45Z auto transmissions, make this noise!! This combination includes a great deal of cars!!
It IS really heart breaking to know BMW that we love depends on luck when fixing cars under warranty.
I can’t wrap my head around this! Is this noise really normal with these combinations?!! Does BMW new transmission makes some weird knocking noise? Does BMW really make cars as bad as these!
Here is the noise for you to judge. The dealer might prove right, and I might be wrong.
Kindly watch the video in the link below, and let me know your thoughts on youtube and/or here

Thanks in advance,
Albert

Last edited by Albert Goodman; 02-25-2017 at 02:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bimmer
Are there time specific time stamps(e.g. 05:37) to listen to the vibration noise?

The knocking, tick-tick-tick noise seems to be common, it is from DI.

Is the AC evaporator running? Note that AC can be on even if the AC light is not lit. Can the "vibration" noise due to AC running?

Last edited by namelessman; 02-25-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Are there time specific time stamps(e.g. 05:37) to listen to the vibration noise?

Is the AC evaporator running? Note that AC can be on even if the AC light is not lit. Can the "vibration" noise due to AC running?
What is DI please?
AC is off. As for the vibration noise, it is there almost all the time. You can hear it after you recognize it at 1:58 I think. After you see the word " now"
Is the tick tick noise coming from engine, or Transmission? and if it were common, why I didn't have it before?
Dealer says Transmission.. this is the question of the poll

Last edited by Albert Goodman; 02-25-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2017, 02:12 PM
2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP

Mein Auto: 2018 440M-Sport/MPPSK/THP
You said you had smoke but did not say the color or smell. White smoke & a strong fuel smell is usually a bad or improperly installed injector.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING
Old 02-25-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
You said you had smoke but did not say the color or smell. White smoke & a strong fuel smell is usually a bad or improperly installed injector.
The smoke is white with smell of gas, as you said. It lasts for almost 10 seconds then goes away. Dealer says this is normal on morning start up.
The point is, my warranty is over on April 1st.
Now, I'm concerned about the knocking noise which dealer claim to be from transmission.
what do you think? Have you answered the poll question?
Thanks Kevin
Old 02-25-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:

What does DI stand for? If you mean diesel, the engine is N55 which runs on petrol not diesel. The noise is normal in diesel engines like N47, B47 and N57.

Sent from my SM-G928C using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Goodman View Post
What does DI stand for? If you mean diesel, the engine is N55 which runs on petrol not diesel. The noise is normal in diesel engines like N47, B47 and N57.
N55 turbo uses direct injection(DI), which is borrowed from diesel engine tech.

Maybe my hearing is not that sharp, there is no noticeable knocking noise at 1:58 to me. At 2:16, when the phone is moved close to the dash(?) the tick-tick-tick noise returns. That seems to be at a lower pitch than the tick-tick-tick from my N26, but there can be a difference between N26(I4 turbo) and N55(I6 turbo).

Is there any trusted local indy that can provide a second diagnostics/opinion?

Last edited by namelessman; 02-25-2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
My advice is not on your poll. Find another dealer with a service department that knows how to diagnose and explain a problem.
Old 02-25-2017, 04:49 PM
2018 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP

Mein Auto: 2018 440M-Sport/MPPSK/THP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Goodman View Post
The smoke is white with smell of gas, as you said. It lasts for almost 10 seconds then goes away. Dealer says this is normal on morning start up.

Think one or more of your injectors is leaking into the cylinder. Had a big go round over this with the 335is.

Took it in told them what to look for. So of course they didn't because they had no computer errors.

So they replaced a sh*t load of parts on their dime with a number of come backs. Eventually they got around to replacing a set (3) injectors & shazam no more smoke or smell.

As for the noise I don't know. Remote diagnosis is pretty hard. Would guess if its a light constant tick, tick, tick its the injectors doing their thing. Because they are injecting fuel directly into the cylinder they operate at a much higher pressure than port injectors that inject fuel into the intake runners just outside the valves.

CURRENT:
2018 BMW 440M-Sport MPPSK/THP 8ZF
2016.5 Mazda CX-5GT AWD
2016 Genesis Coupe R-Spec 6MT
2013 BMW 135is JB4 convt 6MT
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash 5MT
FFR Cobra Mk-IV COYOTE 5MT Build Thread
480 WHP of BURBBLES
I LOVE THE SMELL OF BURNT 100 IN THE MORNING

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 02-25-2017 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:04 PM

Quote:
N55 turbo uses direct injection(DI), which is borrowed from diesel engine tech.

Maybe my hearing is not that sharp, there is no noticeable knocking noise at 1:58 to me. At 2:16, when the phone is moved close to the dash(?) the tick-tick-tick noise returns. That seems to be at a lower pitch than the tick-tick-tick from my N26, but there can be a difference between N26(I4 turbo) and N55(I6 turbo).

Is there any trusted local indy that can provide a second diagnostics/opinion?
Thanks for your explanation.
You asked me for a time stamp to listen to the vibration noise, not the ticking noise. The ticking noise is there all the time. This ticking is new to me. I didn't have it before, this is why I am making a big deal of it.
The weird thing is that my dealer blaming in to transmission!!
Even if local indy shop provided a second opinion, my dealer still won't take it , simply because they changed the transmission and fuel injectors!
Could it be a hydraulic lifter problem?
Old 02-25-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
Think one or more of your injectors is leaking into the cylinder. Had a big go round over this with the 335is.

Took it in told them what to look for. So of course they didn't because they had no computer errors.

So they replaced a sh*t load of parts on their dime with a number of come backs. Eventually they got around to replacing a set (3) injectors & shazam no more smoke or smell.

As for the noise I don't know. Remote diagnosis is pretty hard. Would guess if its a light constant tick, tick, tick its the injectors doing their thing. Because they are injecting fuel directly into the cylinder they operate at a much higher pressure than port injectors that inject fuel into the intake runners just outside the valves.
the fuel injectors were changed under extended warranty. I wonder why I didn't have the ticking noise before!
Old 02-25-2017, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John MS View Post
My advice is not on your poll. Find another dealer with a service department that knows how to diagnose and explain a problem.
Thanks John,
My poll is just to prove my wrong. dealer says the ticking is coming form transmission. They are saying this because they installed a new one under warranty. So, anything goes wrong with the car now is because of the transmission, and the transmission is new. So they can do nothing about it, and I have to shut up.
This is their lame explanation.
As for finding another dealer, I'm afraid I can't. It's only one dealer in Kuwait, one service manager.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
converter, engine, knocking, noise, tapping, ticking, torque, transmission

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search