Split Screen problem - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 428I xDrive Conv
Split Screen problem

I have a 2016 428i xdrive conv with NAV. We like having the split screen which displays the digital time and a three day weather forcast. However, several times the screen would dissappear. Once it was so long a time I took it to the dealer for repair. Since we got it back it still sometimes goes black, but then comes back. Anyone else experience this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binsfeld View Post
I have a 2016 428i xdrive conv with NAV. We like having the split screen which displays the digital time and a three day weather forcast. However, several times the screen would dissappear. Once it was so long a time I took it to the dealer for repair. Since we got it back it still sometimes goes black, but then comes back. Anyone else experience this?
When you say it disappears, does it simply go black or does in indicate "No Connection"?

Mine occasionally indicates "No Connection". When it does, I go back through the widgets and press the button for Digital Clock and weather. It then reconnects correctly.
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Dinan Suspension | BMWCCA #409820
PCD: 10/31/2014
Old 05-17-2017, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Try your split screen with 2 different functions. Something like XM and Nav. See if they stay working. Might rule out hardware issue opposed to connection issue.
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2017, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Mine will just disappear like that or not load on startup. When the app is reselected the system will indicate the system is down. I called the BMW Genius line a few times and the response has been the same. Apologies, acknowledging the system is down and no firm time for recovery. It usually comes back after a day. I would say this happens maybe 10 times a year at most.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 AM
former motorcycle rider

Mein Auto: F87 & F01
What system is "down" that would prevent the car from showing the time? That makes no sense to me.

The iDrive system is prone to failure for no particular reason. I could write pages on all the weird stuff that I've seen. Chalk it up to "BMW electronics" and don't worry about it.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 428i Gran Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post
What system is "down" that would prevent the car from showing the time? That makes no sense to me.
He's talking about the Weather Widget which displays the digital time (in large numbers) and three day forecast. If the service providing that data is down the whole widget is down. So the left side of your screen might be showing XM just fine while the split content on the right is completely black or says something like No Connection.

The small digital time at the top of the display remains, as does the time in your instrument cluster. But the large digital clock that is part of the weather widget is gone.

Last edited by 428iAR; 05-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeemerGuy View Post

The iDrive system is prone to failure for no particular reason. I could write pages on all the weird stuff that I've seen. Chalk it up to "BMW electronics" and don't worry about it.
It's a downloaded widget that displays time as well as weather. The car will continue to show the correct time on the internal clock. I've seen a message that indicates the network is down as well as one that seems to say a third party data provider is down. The messages are not very precise so some interpretation is needed.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:03 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
So when the display goes black and the weather widget doesn't display you have to go "old school" analog weather.
Roll down window, stick head out.
Old 07-19-2017, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto:
Weather Channel Widget down

What options (besides sticking one's head out of the window) does a person have for getting the Weather Channel widget back on my split screen? Mine has been down for about three weeks. I enjoyed the feature.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search