Juice Box 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 11-04-2015, 07:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Juice Box 4

Has anyone installed this on Z4 35i 35is? Anything good or bad to say about the product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2016, 12:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4 35i
I'm planning on getting it next week
Old 01-21-2016, 02:08 AM

Mein Auto: z4 35i
it wouldn't be any different than 335i/335is but when it comes to jb4 everybody online says its perfect.. plug and play.. change the spark plugs and move on however, a friend of mine said don't ever think about to get jb4 he talked to bmw dealer and the dealer said we have 10 cars per day coming over because of jb4 problems.. big disappointment I always wanted to get jb4, and don't know what to believe it is perfect according to forums and a garbage according to dealer.... someone please light us up
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2016, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: e46 325ci & e53 X5 prem
I talked to my dealers service tech yesterday and told me get one he would and that if not under factory warranty (I have aftermarket warranty 3/36 turbos included) that it is otherwise harmless to engine and he has installed many with zero issues
Old 04-05-2016, 06:35 AM

Mein Auto: z4 35is| jb4 | AR DP
JB4 and catless downpipes made my z4 35is insane
Old 05-09-2016, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto:
JB4 install

Ok so I bought the JB4 and it was so easy to install. unlike the video and instructions which are more for a 335. Just open the hood, leave your remote far enough away so you don't wake up the computer and start the install. Perhaps the hardest part of the install is how to comfortably place the box inside the ECU location. Afterwards make sure you read the info for the correct meter set up for your car. For the gauge config I set mine to the 135 and it matched my numbers. if you don't get this correctly set up first, you may do what I accidently did and put my car into transport mode. Not a big issue but it won't let you go beyond 3000 RPM. So make sure you set that first before making changes. It does say it take a few miles of driving before it kicks in but once it does you definitely notice a difference. It doesn't work so well in normal drive mode only in manual. I will be contacting by email burgermotorsports to ask why. Oh yes, if you want to call for help, forget about it. You can only contact them by email. However, they do respond quickly, so at least that was good.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Jb4

The JB4 has lots of options to configure your car. I do like the option of keeping the exhaust valve open for a throatier sound. I tried the gauge sweep but it ok. I will likely see if I can post some pics of the install. Can't seem to find many who modify the Z4.

So the next parts added to my Z4, will be the airbox mod from ECS tuning, a nice carbon fibre setup. I also plan on adding the ECS tuning BOV with charge pipe and possibly add in the cat less down pipes. Still looking for other bolt on stuff that doesn't force me to go into the engine just yet.
Old 05-23-2016, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4 35i
So after about 4 months of use here what I can say about the JB4 on a 2013 Z4 35i with 23k miles (DCT) using Sport + mode

I've been using map 5 and I don't have any other modifications to my car. Since I've installed it back in January, I've gotten two check engine lights regarding the throttle but I don't remember the exact codes, I ended up clearing it and it hasn't shown up since. From my experience it seems that the map works best while in "manual".

Automatic (DCT)
When using it on automatic, the throttle is not consistent and seems to prefer an "all or nothing" type of pedal control. If you accelerate softly, the car accelerates as expected. If you floor the car, the car will push to its maximum limit as expected.
When cruising around 65mph the car should automatically be in 7th gear, if you floor the car, it seems like the computer isn't sure which gear to put it into. First it will drop the gear to 6th, and then moments later, it will drop the gear to 5th. This type of behavior is very annoying and inconsistent.

Steptronic (Paddle Shifting) "manual"
This is obviously the best way to enjoy the JB4. Driving it in this mode gives me the most control over the car's behavior however, there are still some inconsistencies. There was a couple of instances while flooring the car around 5th gear at 4000k rpm where the car would shift on its own to 4th gear to get more power. There was a few instances whiling flooring the car where the throttle would cut off before reaching redline (around 5500 rpm), but shortly after trying again, it works fine. This makes me question if the spark plugs are having issues or if the fuel pump is having issues with keeping up. Another thing I've noticed that the power isn't consistent as well. It seems to have a personality of when it would like to perform its best. Most days are good, while the other days are awesome or poor. Lastly, the final issue I've encountered is while driving the car in 5th map, sometimes I'll notice a decrease in power and when I check the current map, it magically switched to the 4th map on its own. I can't confirm if I'm the only one experiencing this. For the past few months, it probably happened to be around 5 times total. Very strange.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: e46 325ci & e53 X5 prem
Thanks so much for the feedback. Which Z4 do you have? 35i or is?
Old 05-28-2016, 10:18 AM

Mein Auto:
Yes I have one. It's awesome. Now if I can just get a catless downpipe since AR design have gone bust!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search