Wagon: Rear Hatch Opening Issue - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 12-07-2019, 04:33 PM
m.potash

Mein Auto: F31 xD
Wagon: Rear Hatch Opening Issue

My 2016 F31 wagon rear hatch normally should open using the key fob or by putting my foot under the hatch. It does it only about one third the time. Closing isn't a problem.
Is there a way for me to fix this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2019, 05:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2017 330i Sport Wagon
No clue. Does it open if you hit the button under the dash in front of the driver's door?
Old 12-08-2019, 04:47 PM
m.potash

The button inside the car, or the key button, have the same result. A noise like it is unlocking but no movement. Again, it does work normally some of the time. I wonder if the 2 lift devices on the sides of the hatch can be adjusted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2019, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpotash View Post
The button inside the car, or the key button, have the same result. A noise like it is unlocking but no movement. Again, it does work normally some of the time. I wonder if the 2 lift devices on the sides of the hatch can be adjusted.
That you can hear the device working says a lot. We know the remote and under-car sensor are working. Could the seals be holding the hatch in place? Try silicone lubricant on the seals.
Old 12-09-2019, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi GT
Is there a setting in iDrive that sets how far it opens? If so, change it and see if it opens 100% of the time.
Old 12-09-2019, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel
I would be suspect of the lower tailgate latch/release. Power struts do not lift the door from closed, it lifts the door from ajar.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:21 PM
m.potash

Thanks for the replies. I tried the 2 suggestions:
1. Rubbed silicone on the rubber seal
2. Adjust how far the hatch opens to its maximum height.
Tested it this morning and so far this works.
Old 12-28-2019, 09:27 AM
m.potash

The suggestions worked for a week or 2, but then the same issue came back. Any other ideas to try?
Old 12-28-2019, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcpotash View Post
The suggestions worked for a week or 2, but then the same issue came back. Any other ideas to try?
Sounds like something could be tripping the stress/load sensor whether it's a sticky/freezing seal or something else. Hinges even?
Old 01-16-2020, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: 440i GC
Same issue here. Intermittent at best. Sometimes it works several times in a row... regardless of the method. If I press the button under the handle on the hatch, it may or may not open. If I slightly lift the hatch (F36) then push the button it works, but not always. The foot swipe also works occasionally. It does make the unlocking sound when I push the button. The FOB is less reliable.

That said, I damaged the hatch backing out of the garage with it open and had it replaced. Brought it back to the body shop 3x... brought it to BMW 2x... it still is not reliable.

If you ever figure out what's up... please post the solution.

(Cold Weather, Driver Assist+, Lighting, Technology Pkg, HK Sound)
Old 01-16-2020, 05:37 PM
m.potash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyQ View Post
Same issue here. Intermittent at best. Sometimes it works several times in a row... regardless of the method. If I press the button under the handle on the hatch, it may or may not open. If I slightly lift the hatch (F36) then push the button it works, but not always. The foot swipe also works occasionally. It does make the unlocking sound when I push the button. The FOB is less reliable.

That said, I damaged the hatch backing out of the garage with it open and had it replaced. Brought it back to the body shop 3x... brought it to BMW 2x... it still is not reliable.

If you ever figure out what's up... please post the solution.
Let me know also.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search