z3 suspension upgrade - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0 roadster
z3 suspension upgrade

I have a 2001 z3 3.0 and I need to replace the suspension. What is the best setup for autocross and rec street driving? Are coilovers the way to go? Are the spacers worth it? What are the best bushing to replace and buy? Who is the best to buy from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 06:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '00 M Roadster
search..lots of posts....all depends on budget...

ast..lots of money
tc kline/ground control middle
bilsteins and h&r springs...cheap

TC Kline S/A Coilovers | Sharked | Turner Slotted Rotors | Axxis Ultimate Pads | SS Front Strut | IE Subframe Bushings | IE Rear Toe/Camber Kit
Whalen Shift Machine | Stygar Clutch Pedal | CDV Delete | LeatherZ Armrest | Whalen seat bushings | Z3Solutions Windblocker | Shift Pin fix
Old 08-20-2009, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 2.5i
I recently did the Bilstein/H&R combo and I'm happy with the street performance. There is a slight lowering, which I think helps the looks as much as it improves the handling of the car. "Cheap" is relative, this setup is certainly cheaper than Dinan or TC!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 z3 coupe
Go Here And Check My 2001 Z3C With TC Kline SA System https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...517&highlight=
Old 08-20-2009, 09:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW M Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBZ3 View Post
I recently did the Bilstein/H&R combo and I'm happy with the street performance. There is a slight lowering, which I think helps the looks as much as it improves the handling of the car. "Cheap" is relative, this setup is certainly cheaper than Dinan or TC!
This is what I did. Back in 2001 it cost me $750 for parts, I did the labor. Very happy with the result.

Oh, I did also swap out the stock rear shock mounts with neoprene ones. The Bilsteins ate the stock mounts quickly.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0 roadster
I decided to go with the blisten and h&r springs, IE mounts, and rogue mounts. Should i get front camber plate and any other bushings?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by berfbong View Post
I decided to go with the blisten and h&r springs, IE mounts, and rogue mounts. Should i get front camber plate and any other bushings?
Are you happy with the bilstien and h&r spring combo?
Old 12-12-2019, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw328i/z3 View Post
you are asking on a thread over a decade old! Anyways. I have h & R Bilstein combo on my M Coupe and I like them.
Old 12-12-2019, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zed3coupe View Post
Quote:
you are asking on a thread over a decade old! Anyways. I have h & R Bilstein combo on my M Coupe and I like them.
Haha yeah. Do you feel like they are reasonable for daily driving? Do they bottom out on every little bump and produce an overly harsh ride like some people state? I want a stiff sporty ride that will eliminate body roll on my Z3 but I still need it to be reasonable enough to daily drive.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:21 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
Quote:
What Z3 do you have, how long have you had it, how many miles on it, and what kind of use do you intend for it? And if you just recently bought it, have you attended to what could become more pressing maintenance matters?
That said, some find that Bilsteins are too stiff for general use.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=24
Old 12-17-2019, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M Coupe
Quote:
Haha yeah. Do you feel like they are reasonable for daily driving? Do they bottom out on every little bump and produce an overly harsh ride like some people state? I want a stiff sporty ride that will eliminate body roll on my Z3 but I still need it to be reasonable enough to daily drive.
I like my Bilsteins a lot. Yes they are stiff but it is a sports car after all. Before I had my M coupe I had a Z3 coupe 3.0 and had Bilsteins on that too. Also on my e36! Been a fan for a while. I just am not into coil overs as adjusting seems to be a nuisance.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:12 PM
Joe

Mein Auto: 98 2.8 Roadster
Quote:
You need to decide on one or the other: stiff sporty ride vs reasonable enough to daily drive.

Unless your city streets are very smooth and not patched, rutted, pot-holed and cracked any "stiff sporty ride" will rattle your teeth and feel like a bucking bronco.

If you want less body roll, go with stiffer sway bars (H & R) but you will have to fabricate rear sway bar end links for that bar. (see a separate thread on this)

For my 98 Z3 2.8 which I have owned for almost 20 years the best system after several attempts was the TC Kline single adjustment coilover shock with their softest springs and the H & R bars. Because of the roads in Massachusetts, I recently put on the softer springs and put the shocks in the softest setting. (previously on setting 3 out of 5). I also put on H & R sway bars (much stiffer) primarily because I could fabricate adjustable end links on the rear bar to properly corner balance the car. The front bar was fitted with an aftermarket adjustable sway bar link. (when corner balancing, one of the the sway bar links on each axle, needs to be disconnected while the car is corner balanced by adjusting the height of the coil overs, then the sway bar links are adjusted and connected to a "neutral" setting. This procedure eliminates any force pulling down the sway bar on one side of the axle , which would affect the down force on a corner).

Compared to the stock shock/spring set-up, which is very sorry and sloppy, I have found that a soft to medium shock absorber setting matched with a medium spring rate gave me the best of both worlds; a stiffer sporty ride and some comfort when used on lousy public roads. The worst was the stock system, followed by Bilstein shocks and H & R springs.

Spend the money to get your car corner balanced if you go with coil overs and obviously get an alignment.

The bottom line is you have to decide what you will do most of your time with your car: track, auto-cross, sporty twisty roads or daily driving. One system won't do it all. Its a compromise. Mine is set-up for sporty, twisty roads and partial daily driving...and after 20 years, it still gives me a thrill!

Last edited by jmai; 12-18-2019 at 05:23 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search