Getting My Z3 Started - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 11-19-2019, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9L
Getting My Z3 Started

So I just bought a 97 Z3 1.9l that has 80k miles and has been sitting for a little under 2 years and currently doesn't start. I was told that it likely needs a new fuel pump and may need new injectors.

I plan on flushing the fluids and trying to run some new gas through the tank and lines bu is there anything I should do while im working on it before I try and fire it up?

I plan on changing the water pump once I get a little further along that way I know its been done semi recently and I wont have to worry about it. There is no service history available for this car but I'm not too worried about it since this car is in near perfect shape.

Sorry if this has been asked a thousand times but I'm new here so forgive me this time please lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2019, 11:34 PM

Mein Auto:
It may not be time but I would try getting new plugs as well. With electronics its always best to get Genuine BMW parts that are related to anything electronic in nature. They tend to run best with the original wiring system. Usually plugs best be done around 100k anyways so its a win win since youre already under the hood.

After that may want to tap on the starter with a big wrench or small hammer while you have it get cranked. (Starter in under the car) this allows you to go to local auto parts store to have them test the starter.

Might want to check the air filter too to ensure youre getting clean air for those fresh spark plugs.

Suspension-wise is look under the car and check any bushings or rubbers for cracks and if you have a nice jacket get comfortable with where to place it and remove tires to check the wheel wells, rotors, and hubs for play in the knuckle and the control arms and strut mounts.

This will also give you a chance to check the wheels for even wear. The more comfortable you are with removing and replacing your tires the quicker youll be prepared for a flat. Which reminds me, if you dont already know, the battery is in the trunk space and since yours is in near perfect shape, itll be good to familiarize yourself with working in such a small place.

Last edited by Holbrook; 11-19-2019 at 11:35 PM.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 97 Z3 1.9L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holbrook View Post
Suspension-wise is look under the car and check any bushings or rubbers for cracks and if you have a nice jacket get comfortable with where to place it and remove tires to check the wheel wells, rotors, and hubs for play in the knuckle and the control arms and strut mounts.

This will also give you a chance to check the wheels for even wear. The more comfortable you are with removing and replacing your tires the quicker youll be prepared for a flat. Which reminds me, if you dont already know, the battery is in the trunk space and since yours is in near perfect shape, itll be good to familiarize yourself with working in such a small place.
Yeah this is for sure going to take some getting used to. I am very comfortable around working on my own cars but I've never owned a bmw or anything so Im just being a little extra cautious. The tight space will be a new change, Ive got a 1977 F-150 that has enough space to fit me into the hood with the motor so it is very easy to work on. This Z may not be the case.

Thanks for the info, I'll look into doing the plugs once I get the fuel system cleaned out and can test the fuel pump before just outright replacing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2019, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto:
You are fortunate with having an older BMW because they dont use the same specialty nuts and bolts that the modern BMWs use (torx). Another pro is that the parts arent very hard to get to. Good luck and congrats on new ownership!
Old 12-03-2019, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 1996 Z3 1.9 manual
If you’re replacing the fuel pump, replace the fuel filter while you’re at it.

It may be worth getting a basic OBD2 scanner to see if there are any pending trouble codes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2019, 10:06 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
A note about the fuel pump, it is only energized briefly when you turn the key on, just enough to charge the fuel rail.

The fuel pump will not have power going to it full time unless the engineis running__and the DME KNOWS it is running.

I don't don't what other issues you're having, but before you waste a lot of money throwing parts at the car, I thought you might want to know how it works.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black our first BMW
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2016 X5M Mineral White Metallic/Beige Dinan STG II (716hp/702 Lbs Ft)

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
starting, z3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search