2001 BMW Z3 3.0i - Harman Kardon Subwoofer Repair Worked! - Page 4 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:09 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0i Roadster, K1300S
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightdogfred View Post
I guess im the only one with this setup
Show us a pic of the other side of the subwoofer box.

Also tell us, or show us a pic, of the wires that go into the box.

And, is there any writing or on the outside of the box (your pic is blurry), such as "2x70w 4 ohm"?
"Beemer" is for my BMW motorcycles - '13 K1300S, '95 R1100RS, '88 K75S, '75 R90S (gone, but not forgotten).

Last edited by BeemerMikeTX; 03-05-2014 at 10:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Z3M Roadster
When I go back to NC I will, I'm down in St Thomas thawing out.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:06 AM
YYZED3M Driver

Mein Auto: '99 ////M Roadster
FreightDogFred....

You aren't the only one to have this setup. I had that setup before switching to a custom made sub box that fits in the same space. When I get home today from work I will pull my odl sub box that matches yours and take a look at it. I don't really remember how it comes apart.

Crappy : )

(Just outside of Nashville)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2014, 06:26 AM

Hey thanks i appreciate it
Old 03-07-2014, 03:43 PM
YYZED3M Driver

Back again Freightdogfred.....

Just remove the rest of the screws.... Might have to "tap it" to get it to
Open.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	426804  

Old 03-08-2014, 06:13 AM

you sure? looks like the screws just hold in the speaker....but i'll try what the hell.
Did you go with a single subwoofer, or a whole new box?

I'm trying to stick with the stock stuff as much as possible but im TIRED of the terrible sound
Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 AM
YYZED3M Driver

FreightDogFred

Yes... The four screws not only hold the speaker, they also help hold the box together. I built a custom box for my truck that holds a 10" sub. But I needed my truck back so I bought a sub box that fits in the same space between the roll hoops. It does replace the plastic cover and my wind blocker still fits. The new box holds a 6" JL Audio sub. It does make quite a bit of improvement over stock.... but of course not quite what the 10" will do. Thinking of making a fiberglass box as I think I can get some more air space by moulding a "glass" box.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3
Sub-Woofer repair

Hi...this is my first post and wanted to start by saying thank you for the info on repairing the sub-woofer with the detailed instructions found in this forum... it works!!!
just purchased a 2001 Z3 and very excited driving this bomb!!! Needs so work but in time should get her looking like new...
Had one small question regaring the steps mentioned to repoair the sub-woofer... once you have appled the silicone around the gasket and speaker, do you REMOVE the paper you mentioned to stuff in the back prior or once cured, do you leave the paper on the back of the sub in the speaker and rep[lace it that way.
Many thanks (merci)
PJC
Old 07-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Vivace

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3; 2003 330xi
Hi PJC,

The paper should come out. I just used it to help hold the cone in place while using the silicone. I've had good luck with the repair, which was about 4 years ago. I hope you have the same.
Vivace
Old 08-30-2014, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
Sub Woofer fix?

After letting the silicone set do you remove the packing or leave it in? Also does packing around the sub woofer in the box help?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:35 AM
Vivace

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3; 2003 330xi
Hi DB, The packing is just to hold the speaker cone in place until the silicone is set. Be sure that the silicone dries thoroughly. Leaving the packing in will dampen resonance, both behind the speaker and in the box. Some people might prefer the dampening. I took it out so that the bass could ring. The silicone will have a slightly dampening effect, compared to a speaker recone, but it is just cost effective. Let us all know how it comes out...
Old 09-16-2014, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Z3
Harmon Kardon Sub-woofer repair kit

After reading all the posts about retrofitting replacement speakers, talking to several vendors of audio equipment for the H-K system in my Z3, I stumbled onto one of the posts recommending Simply Speakers. I bought the kit for $20 and gave it a shot. It could not have been easier. If you can squeeze glue from a tube, you can fix it. If not, Simply Speakers will repair it for $50 plus shipping.

It was fun reading all the solutions and frightening to think I may have had to go through to fix the speaker. thanks for the great forum and to whomever made the suggestion.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW Z3 3.0
A much simpler solution than reinventing the wheel! I first repaired the subwoofer in our '01 & replaced the sound deadener with polyfil instead of the OEM material. Then I did the two speakers in the footwells. Back earlier this year I purchased for a pittance a pair of nice Infinity speakers. One of the surrounds was bad & I got the replacement from the same company. Very pleased with all of the repairs. Glad it worked well for you.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, Tacoma, Z3
The Harmon Kardon subwoofer in my '01 3.0i Z3 had the entire foam ring deteriorated. I went through the same sequence as the original post. I did find a dealer with a complete box for $450. Still more than I wanted to pay. Checked the usual outlets for a replacement speaker with no luck then found a video on YouTube showing a foam ring kit. I watched and as an avid DIYer ordered one. If your foam ring is completely toast the kit can be found at:

Simplyspeakers.com. Look for the BMW roundel select it and it will take you right to the lit for the Z3 HarmonKardon subwoofer. $27.00 and free shipping for a two ring kit. They also have a single ring kit. $20.00. I bought the two ring kit figuring I might mess the first one. And no I'm not affiliated with Simply Speakers.

More to come when the kit arrives.

Zee On!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0 Roadster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby1600 View Post
The Harmon Kardon subwoofer in my '01 3.0i Z3 had the entire foam ring deteriorated. I went through the same sequence as the original post. I did find a dealer with a complete box for $450. Still more than I wanted to pay. Checked the usual outlets for a replacement speaker with no luck then found a video on YouTube showing a foam ring kit. I watched and as an avid DIYer ordered one. If your foam ring is completely toast the kit can be found at:

Simplyspeakers.com. Look for the BMW roundel select it and it will take you right to the lit for the Z3 HarmonKardon subwoofer. $27.00 and free shipping for a two ring kit. They also have a single ring kit. $20.00. I bought the two ring kit figuring I might mess the first one. And no I'm not affiliated with Simply Speakers.

More to come when the kit arrives.

Zee On!
I just went to the Simply Speakers site and found that they will do the entire job for you for only $50: http://www.simplyspeakers.com/bmw-speaker-repair.html
Old 10-11-2014, 06:50 AM

I forgot to add that to my post. Thanks.

That's totally reasonable considering the cost of a complete unit. I watched several YouTube videos regarding speaker repair and feel confident I can do the repair.

Zee On!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: X3 & Z3
Another satisfied "customer." I am fortunate enough to have owned a new 99 Z3 and 2 2001 M #897 and #909. Both the M's were very low mileage, one owner, well kept cars before I bought them. I noticed the lack of bass on #897 and just a hissing, crackling sound from the woofer. So I googled and found Z3PO's repair. I followed the instructions and had the same minor difficulty removing the top panel but all went well. My speaker cone was torn about 60% of its edge but not in one continuous tear. I didn't need to use any stuffing before I siliconed. I used the identical silicone from Lowes and waited 2 days just because I didn't have time to do it earlier. I am very pleased at the results. I now have bass. Rather it is as "good" as a new speaker I don't know and it is really not that important to me. I know Eminem sounds good so that meets my test. Since my car doesn't get much use, the repair may last for a long time but for only $4 and 2 hours of time, I can't complain.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
This fix just earned me a ton of points w my wife. The local car audio store quoted me 600 to fix the sub. Thanks to your fix - total cost was $ 6.79 and 45 minutes of work. Nice!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw z3
subwoofer

Just finished the silicone on my hk sub.... works great .Thank you
Old 08-07-2016, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: Z3
BMW HK Subwoofer Repair

Many thanks for the post on the Z3 HK Subwoofer repair. It worked! Very impressed and thankful. Regard G
Old 08-20-2017, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster
MZ3 HK Subwoofer Repair

Many thanks to Z3PO and others for all of the posts on this repair. I just took my subwoofer out of my 2001 M Roadster and I found that there were two long segments of the speaker that were no longer attached to the outer ring. I was able to get the front of the top panel popped up quite easily but the rear clips were more difficult. I will post a photo later of what the clips look like and where they are on the panel. The silicone is curing. We'll see what it sounds like in 24 hours.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i Roadster 5sp
Box lid details...

I've been wanting to do something with my blown subwoofer for quite a while now (2002 3.0 roadster) but every time I tried, I would chicken out because I couldn't get the lid off the compartment and didn't want to break it (infamously lousy BMW interior plastics from this era being what they are). The front would separate fairly easily, but even with a lot of force the rear wouldn't come loose.

Finally after many other projects on the car I had to do something about the sound system. It was literally unusable by now, because the kick panel speakers and subwoofer had rotted out / blown / whatever so I HAD to finally tackle this if I wanted to listen to music at all. I started with the easy part and replaced the kick panel speakers with these:

https://www.amazon.com/DS18-EXL-SQ5-25-5-25-Inch-Quality-Speaker/dp/B00SGVX1RY

So far so good! Direct plug and play replacement, works fine with HK amp, sound good and should be loud enough to hear over road noise (I haven't driven yet). After removing subwoofer I found that the rear speakers behind the seats still sound ok, and the door speakers aren't completely horrible. So at this point I plan to just address the subwoofer and be done with it. It will be great to actually be able to listen to music in the car again!

ANYWAY, the reason I'm adding to this write-up is because of the awful clips that hold the box lid on... I wanted to provide pictures for people who are about to tackle their blown / rotted subwoofer problems because I couldn't find much information on how this lid is attached. So here's what you're dealing with.

First, here are the front clips of the lid:

Name:	lid front.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	653697

As you can see, they are cone-shaped and so they come out pretty easily with a little force.

Here, on the other hand, is what the rear clips look like:

Name:	lid rear.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	374.6 KB
ID:	653705

As you can see, there is a hefty barb that hooks into the trim plastic of the enclosure:

Name:	body rear.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	310.5 KB
ID:	653713

Notice the very thin piece of trim plastic that holds the hefty barb in place... You can actually see how it got deformed by the removal process. Another problem with this is that when I tried to lift / pry up the lid, instead of the barb separating from the lower trim, the upper fake leather part of the lid would try to separate from the lower plastic part that has the barb. The two pieces of the lid are held together with screws so they couldn't actually separate, but still my force in pulling up on the lid was mostly wasted until I started prying with a tool.

I love a lot of things about my BMW, but I hate the way they make these interior plastic trim pieces go together. Not only do they rattle and a lot of them have become brittle, but you stand a good chance of breaking them any time you have to take them apart.

Anyway it turns out my sub speaker has 2 of 4 of the tiny wires frayed / broken:

Name:	speaker.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	653721

So I'm not sure if I should bother trying to resolder these wires and then do the silicone fix or just get a replacement speaker. If it was just the rotted foam I might repair. Anyway, I hope the pictures help someone to understand how the stupid awful lid is held on and why it's so difficult to take off and so likely to break. I honestly don't have any advice for removing it... The only thing that ended up working was to use a prying tool between the lid and the body and lever the lid upward. But as you can see, there was some damage. Good luck!
Old 09-27-2017, 04:40 AM

Quote:
So I'm not sure if I should bother trying to resolder these wires and then do the silicone fix or just get a replacement speaker. If it was just the rotted foam I might repair. Anyway, I hope the pictures help someone to understand how the stupid awful lid is held on and why it's so difficult to take off and so likely to break. I honestly don't have any advice for removing it... The only thing that ended up working was to use a prying tool between the lid and the body and lever the lid upward. But as you can see, there was some damage. Good luck!

I replaced the foam ring on mine but would like a new sub. If you locate a sub woofer that installs easy enough I'd be interested in part numbers and how you did the install.
Old 09-27-2017, 06:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster
Nice work! Great solution to the wide spread issue of sub failure.
May try it myself once driving season ends.
2001 BMW M Roadster #920
1964 CSX2375r Shelby Cobra
603-809-6886
Old 09-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i Roadster 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebby1600 View Post
I replaced the foam ring on mine but would like a new sub. If you locate a sub woofer that installs easy enough I'd be interested in part numbers and how you did the install.
I ended up using a Kicker 6.75" Comp RT sub, 43CWRT672.

I've heard other people had less trouble getting it to fit, but for me it took some work. I had to do a lot of grinding on the speaker to get it to fit on the plastic box.

There is a cheap, direct fit replacement made by Pyle. I think it's only $20 or so. I thought about that one but I was concerned I might have to be replacing it in a few years again. So I went with the better-built Kicker. But the Kicker was a pain to install so I'm not sure I'd recommend it (unless you have a Coupe- in that case it's an easy direct replacement).

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
Today's Posts Search