Licence Plate Legalities - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 01-17-2005, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Licence Plate Legalities

Ok guys
I wanted to remove my licence plates from the front of my car, my dad came and saw what i was doing and told that it was illegal in california not to have license plates in the front!
I said that sux
so what the deal. i searched online couldn't find anything
any help would be apriciated!
thanx
burak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2005, 04:02 PM
Any ride will do

Mein Auto: 2014 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakfb
i searched online couldn't find anything
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38260

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12599

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3479

Fer openers...
Old 01-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
"What's the deal?"

Your Dad is correct.
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5201.htm

Old 01-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Padawan

Mein Auto: 2004 330ci Convertible
For many years this was not stringently enforced in CA, usually only when they just wanted to harrass you for some reason and wanted to nit pick about something was a citation issued. I think things have changed in the last five years with the onslaught of "photo enforced" traffic signals. They have really stepped up enforcement so that all vehicles can be identified through the photos snapped at these intersections. Shots taken from the front with the plate visible are much preferred by law enforcement because they can also identify the driver. Also beware: a very common method of being cited for this is by parking on public streets... even though legally parked and with plenty of time in the meter parking enforcement loves to ticket for this!

--J.
2004|330ci|Convertible|Silver Grey Metallic|Sport Package|Premium Package|Steptronic|NAV|Xenon Adaptive Headlights|Heated Seats|Black Montana Leather|Aluminum Brushed Column Trim|SSR/GT3 19" Rims (original 18" Style 71's in storage)
Old 01-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 325 Ci ZSP ZPP
Your dad is correct. I got tagged for that in my Acura. It is a fix it ticket, but it is still a pain in the ass.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:13 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burakfb
Ok guys
I wanted to remove my licence plates from the front of my car, my dad came and saw what i was doing and told that it was illegal in california not to have license plates in the front!
I said that sux
so what the deal. i searched online couldn't find anything
any help would be apriciated!
thanx
burak

yeah it's illegal. yeah you can be ticketed. in la I worry about the parking nazis ticketing me for not having a plate - they hit me with that ticket on my old jetta at lax. scumbags.

also, it's a good excuse for a cop to pull you over if he wants to look for bigger, better crimes. you sound young so I'd bet a cop would love to pull you over...young, bmw...screaming for notice by the cops.

Last edited by brkf; 01-18-2005 at 09:28 AM. Reason: Fixed Jetta
Old 01-18-2005, 12:20 AM

Mein Auto:
Hehe, 20 i guess is still young thanx for the advice
guess i'll have to keep the darn plates, but i must admit, it does look better with out them on the front!
Nothing we can do!?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:00 AM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Sure, you can do something. You have been presented with a simple binary decision. You can obey the law or you can disobey the law.
But don't complain if you choose to disobey the law and get ticketed. That's just the price you risk paying for making that choice.

The ones I don't understand are the people who claim that a front plate looks ugly, and then proceed to put a front plate on that says "BMW" or "Chevy" or "Ford" etc.

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006

Last edited by Bob Clevenger; 01-18-2005 at 01:05 AM.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:07 AM

Mein Auto:
too much philosophy for 12:00 am!
Old 01-18-2005, 01:32 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clevenger
Sure, you can do something. You have been presented with a simple binary decision. You can obey the law or you can disobey the law.
But don't complain if you choose to disobey the law and get ticketed. That's just the price you risk paying for making that choice.

The ones I don't understand are the people who claim that a front plate looks ugly, and then proceed to put a front plate on that says "BMW" or "Chevy" or "Ford" etc.
I've never understood the "it's against the law, how can I get around it" or "I got caught breaking the law and it's BS" or "My car looks so much better w/ out the plate therefore the law doesn't apply to me" aspect. In fact, I believe one of BlueGuy's first conversations w/ me was over this exact same topic if I remember correctly. I don't drive a BMW, I don't live in CA but when I do move out there and purchase a car I'll be sporting both plates just to avoid being pulled over for it just to look for other violations.

It's happened to me before. Silly violation results in leading to that the one drink I had at dinner has left me inebriated, or that the cig I just had was actually smelling of weed not tobacco all the way up to investigations over tread depth, proper tint, proper clearance levels on lowering...and none of these hae been in my car. I'd just rather keep it low key if it's borderline illegal.

I guess w/ age, I just want to adhere to laws more than in the day, especially since I just don't want to take the time to pay the fine and incurr the expense of a fixit ticket. Then again, maybe that is the purpose of those laws.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 01-18-2005, 01:39 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jever
I guess w/ age, I just want to adhere to laws more than in the day, especially since I just don't want to take the time to pay the fine and incurr the expense of a fixit ticket. Then again, maybe that is the purpose of those laws.
Sounds like you are getting old or matured...
Old 01-18-2005, 01:48 AM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackChrome
Sounds like you are getting old or matured...
Sounds like it's time to get a 76 stingray and a gold medallion an a leisure suit.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 01-18-2005, 04:53 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
IMO, the up-coming E90's front end looks better with the license plate breaking up the nose area, but that's just one person's opinion.

http://bimmerfest.org/forums/showthread.php?t=84369
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 01-18-2005, 03:53 PM
ex-M couper

Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Clevenger
Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Sounds like it's time to get a 76 stingray and a gold medallion an a leisure suit.
[tongue in cheek]Naw, those new 'vettes ain't nowhere near as good as the "real" ones![/tongue in cheek]

Monaco Blue 650i coupe; 6MT, HUD, ACC, ZCW, ZPS. Redelivered 20 July 2006
Old 01-18-2005, 07:06 PM
Shakin' and Bakin'

Mein Auto: '05 325Ci
Real reason not to have a front license plate is that it makes it harder for laser to time you (though certainly not impossible, but the plates give a great reflective signal that the rest of the car doesn't).
Old 01-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Adolescent On-Call

Mein Auto: 330i
BMW Service stripped the internal threads for the front plate screws on my car , so I haven't been able to attach the front plate for 2 years. I like the look better without the plate, anyway. Never been cited for it, either.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:52 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
Quote:
That was the 70's way of having a mid-life crisis. Nowadays, the current trend seems to be ZHP-equipped 3er.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Just got a 440i convertible. Now, I had a 2004 C5 Corvette and NEVER put my front plate on, knowing I was breaking the law. Funny thing is, I never got stopped about this while moving, BUT I did get a ticket for this while parked at the California Museum of Science in Los Angeles county, California. And the ticket was NOT a fix-it ticket; it cost me $125.00. Fast forward to now, and BMW leases me a car and does not install a front plate holder; I have to go back to them to drill holes in the bumper to install the cheap plastic holder they threw in my trunk at the time of purchase (which they will do for any customer free, of course). However, knowing how tacky people can be when you return a lease car, I am going to get written agreement from BMW BEFORE I get this done. I do not understand how they can sell/lease a car in the state of California WITHOUT making it legal by installing the front plate holder before the customer takes the car off the lot.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum
Today's Posts Search