328d fuel pump failure - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2019 BMW 430i Gran Coupe
328d fuel pump failure

First time post, I've read these posts for years, with my prior 2007 530i, which contently ran to 140k before I sold it privately for $8k. Nice run I'd say, except for 2 times it left me stranded calling for tow. (Failed transmission 90k, Failed fan / water pump, 110k) Reliability is not BMW's strong suit, but we all know that!

My current 2014 BMW 328d just had a fuel pump disintegration. Purchased new '14 328d about 24 months ago. 41k now. Always serviced on time. Engine bogged and died during normal drive, fortunately it was a city street, and I was able to push it to the curb, and even found a parking meter in downtown L.A. Lucky me. 40 miles from home, fortunately it was early afternoon and tow driver showed up in about 2 hours. Anyway... my BMW Dealer mechanic says fuel pump disintegrated, and spewed metal shavings into the fuel lines. The repair is total replacement of the entire fuel delivery system, from tank to engine block. Pump, lines, injectors, the works. Warranty repair. I'm told the parts are on order, but should only take a few days. I hope he's right. I've read other experiences with 5 series fuel pumps taking much longer to repair. The mechanic says this occurrence was very unusual, yet he was very fluent with the description of exactly what happened. My guess is his real reaction was "oh sh...t, another diesel fuel pump" My quick google research shows the Bosch fuel pump was recalled in other models, but the recall exempted the diesel variants. I can't imagine an item prone to failure, that's not listed on a replacement schedule. But such is the fuel pump in my BMW. I asked if the new pump was any better than the original, and he "didn't know." That's understandable, I can't imagine agreeing with the customer when they point out the repair is not really a "fix". It's probably the identical pump, but might come with a little prayer you can say.

Last edited by Socal328d; 06-21-2016 at 07:14 PM. Reason: wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2016, 11:25 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: Various
Welcome to Bimmerfest!
Old 11-11-2016, 06:16 PM

Mein Auto: 328d
The same thing happened to me last night 2015 328d with 20k miles. They said they are replacing the whole fuel system. Did you get a list of everything that they replaced?

Last edited by Richwme90; 11-11-2016 at 06:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 07:23 PM

328d fuel pump failure

Yes, the dealer should replace everything under warranty Invoice from dealer (Val. BMW) said "lines and fuel filter. replaced fuel pump. replaced high pressure pump, removed intake manifold, and replaced all lines going to injectors. replaced fuel rail. replaced all 4 injectors. calibrated injectors, performed bleeding for fuel system using ISTA. cleared fault memory, test drove." Next about 3k miles later an injector seal needed replacing due to exhaust leak and strong smell of diesel outside, and inside the car. Almost 50k soon. The best feature is 40+ mpg. Fun fact but still a false economy I'd say. I'm told the bad gas probably caused water condensation corroded the metal parts. I try now to buy fuel at only heavily trafficked gas stations near interstates hoping the diesel is fresh supply.
Old 11-12-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal328d View Post
Yes, the dealer should replace everything under warranty Invoice from dealer (Val. BMW) said "lines and fuel filter. replaced fuel pump. replaced high pressure pump, removed intake manifold, and replaced all lines going to injectors. replaced fuel rail. replaced all 4 injectors. calibrated injectors, performed bleeding for fuel system using ISTA. cleared fault memory, test drove." Next about 3k miles later an injector seal needed replacing due to exhaust leak and strong smell of diesel outside, and inside the car. Almost 50k soon. The best feature is 40+ mpg. Fun fact but still a false economy I'd say. I'm told the bad gas probably caused water condensation corroded the metal parts. I try now to buy fuel at only heavily trafficked gas stations near interstates hoping the diesel is fresh supply.
I have always used Shell in this car and 95% of my fill ups have been at the Shell on Via Princessa. This issue has really made me re-think keeping this car. My 2001 330i went 217k miles before the fuel pump died. The pump was $200 on Amazon and took me 20 min to change.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:49 PM

328d fuel pump failure

Shell here too, seems cheaper. This is part of the reason why many BMW owners don't want to own an out-of-warranty vehicle, due to sky high repair costs, and unusual catastrophic mechanical failures. It's really a high maintenance deal all around. Many other brands hit higher on the reliability scale, and lower on the maintenance cost. Diesel fuel is not regulated the same as gasoline. There are some affordable after market warranties that can ease the pain. I probably won't get another diesel anything. And VW with their problems. I was 5 minutes away from buying that Passat, which is way more affordable, larger, and probably more reliable.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: Socal
Another 328D high pressure fuel pump failure

So I am the second owner of my 2014 328D and the high pressure pump just S&%t the bed last week. The car stalled early in the day but restarted. Stalled again in the afternoon and restarted. Third time wasn't a charm and the car would not start (however third stall had quite a noise from the rear of the car. Dealership confirmed High Pressure pump failure with the catastrophic list of components to be replaced. Of note, I only buy my diesel in one of two places. Those same two gas stations kept my (Gross Polluting Software) TDI running for 4 years without a fuel pump failure. I asked the dealership if this is a common problem but the kid working in the service department gave me his own personal experience vice a corporate answer or big picture answer. Hope this car straightens itself out soon because it pales in comparison to the VW TDI for reliability.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigblaster View Post
So I am the second owner of my 2014 328D and the high pressure pump just S&%t the bed last week. The car stalled early in the day but restarted. Stalled again in the afternoon and restarted. Third time wasn't a charm and the car would not start (however third stall had quite a noise from the rear of the car. Dealership confirmed High Pressure pump failure with the catastrophic list of components to be replaced. Of note, I only buy my diesel in one of two places. Those same two gas stations kept my (Gross Polluting Software) TDI running for 4 years without a fuel pump failure. I asked the dealership if this is a common problem but the kid working in the service department gave me his own personal experience vice a corporate answer or big picture answer. Hope this car straightens itself out soon because it pales in comparison to the VW TDI for reliability.
I would imagine the CEL would have come on the first time? If so, what was the purpose of continuing to try to start and drive the vehicle after the first, second, and third tries?

Considering both your TDI and 328D HPFP (both Bosch) seem to have died approximately the same time (when was the 328D actually built and sold?), how are you concluding the 328D's reliability "pales in comparison to the VW TDI"?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: Socal
Clarification

The reason I attempted to restart the car was to avoid a premature death in a firey rush hour collision. The BMW didn't ask my permission to die in a busy intersection. It just did. It didn't provide any lights, indications, or warnings. It simply crapped out. Restarting the car permitted me to drive out of the rush hour intersection. I would assume that BMW is slightly concerned about the quality of the product and restarting a stalled car seemed like an obvious next step to me. I DID NOT SAY my VW Golf TDI fuel pump died. Ironically enough, as a faulty software car, it continues to run to this day while VW calculates my reimbursement for harming the spotted owls and depleting the ozone layer. I bought the 328D as the replacement for the car that VW still hasn't retaken custody of. So, yes, the VW with the bad software continues to run like a champ (its a 2012 with 80K) and my newer 2014 328D with only 20K isn't chalking up a real reliable track record. I have only owned the 328D for two months and its been to the dealership three times.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Not Here Anymore

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The reason I attempted to restart the car was to avoid a premature death in a firey rush hour collision. The BMW didn't ask my permission to die in a busy intersection. It just did. It didn't provide any lights, indications, or warnings. It simply crapped out. Restarting the car permitted me to drive out of the rush hour intersection. I would assume that BMW is slightly concerned about the quality of the product and restarting a stalled car seemed like an obvious next step to me. I DID NOT SAY my VW Golf TDI fuel pump died. Ironically enough, as a faulty software car, it continues to run to this day while VW calculates my reimbursement for harming the spotted owls and depleting the ozone layer. I bought the 328D as the replacement for the car that VW still hasn't retaken custody of. So, yes, the VW with the bad software continues to run like a champ (its a 2012 with 80K) and my newer 2014 328D with only 20K isn't chalking up a real reliable track record. I have only owned the 328D for two months and its been to the dealership three times.
Let me see if I understand this. Based on a sampling of one vehicle and one issue with said vehicle you conclude its reliability pales in comparison to your other vehicle? Are you implying there are no failures with VW Golf TDI's?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
tomato tomahto is how I read your original post re: the fuel pump. So be clearer next time. Interesting you are comparing the reliability of a car which the manufacturer cheated, which in of itself makes it an unreliable car does it not?

it's been to the dealership three times for what? the only issue you mentioned was the fuel pump. So, you restarted the car the second time to get out of the intersection but there was a third time somewhere there. Anyway, odd you didn't get a CEL given everything that needs to be done to it.

you are comparing one car with one car for reliability. Sucks, you are the second owner of a vehicle which has had a mechanical failure. You chose the wrong straw obviously. The good news is that you are getting all that new stuff replaced under warranty. Who knows how the previous owner treated the vehicle over the past 2-3 years. Maybe he/she filled with gas instead of diesel by mistake. That would most certainly have lead to premature fuel pump failure and diesel injector failures. I'm going to put my money on that scenario, given what happened to you in only two months of ownership. If that's the case, then I'd be expecting more issues beyond the fuel system ones.

Last edited by imtjm; 02-22-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:58 AM
Not Here Anymore

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
tomato tomahto is how I read your original post re: the fuel pump. So be clearer next time. Interesting you are comparing the reliability of a car which the manufacturer cheated, which in of itself makes it an unreliable car does it not?
No, it does not. The software is working as intended.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
No, it does not. The software is working as intended.
yes it does...it wasn't working on the vehicle for the past 4 years.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:34 PM
Not Here Anymore

Mein Auto:
Quote:
yes it does...it wasn't working on the vehicle for the past 4 years.
What wasn't working on the vehicle for the past 4 years?
Old 02-23-2017, 04:05 PM

they cheated emissions. you can't say that your vehicle was reliable when an important input into the system wasn't being used....that would be...well, cheating. yes, it's higher logic.

Last edited by imtjm; 02-23-2017 at 04:08 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:16 PM
Not Here Anymore

Mein Auto:
Quote:
they cheated emissions. you can't say that your vehicle was reliable when an important input into the system wasn't being used....that would be...well, cheating. yes, it's higher logic.
Cheating on emissions has no bearing on reliability. The software was working as designed. If it wasn't then VW could claim it was faulty software and not cheating.
Old 02-23-2017, 05:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
Cheating on emissions has no bearing on reliability. The software was working as designed. If it wasn't then VW could claim it was faulty software and not cheating.
+1. It was working as the few engineers had intended. Not faulty, just subversive.
Old 02-23-2017, 06:48 PM

Hogwash. It absolutely does. If bme for example bypassed scr or dpf on 335d, it wouldbe ummensely more reliable. Fact is since those vw cheated emissions they actually were not operating normally.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto: F31 328d M-Sport
Ok, back on topic...

HPFP failures are well known to the TDI community. It seems that BMW diesels are less prone to HPFP failures, at least anecdotally.

Agree? Disagree?
Old 02-23-2017, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535d
The fuel pump on my 535d blew last fall with only 16k miles. I was told the repair came to $7k, tho BMW covered it. It left me stranded in the fast lane of a major boulevard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpanZed View Post
Ok, back on topic...

HPFP failures are well known to the TDI community. It seems that BMW diesels are less prone to HPFP failures, at least anecdotally.

Agree? Disagree?

Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa

Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Old 02-24-2017, 07:50 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChimpanZed View Post
Ok, back on topic...

Agree? Disagree?
According to VW, most of the pump failures were due to mis-fuelling (their report to the EPA is widely available, and asserts 90% or more IIRC).

BMWs actually use the same fuel pump from Bosch. Anecdotally, the reason BMWs haven't experienced so many failures is that they have always come with a mis-fuelling device in the fuel filler, while VW's didn't.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '16 328i M Sport
Ah yes the anecdotal reliability 'evidence' is strong in this thread, Luke.

R.I.P- 2014 320i Sport Pkg | 2010 VW GTI |2010 Mazda 3 2.5
Old 02-24-2017, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
The fuel pump on my 535d blew last fall with only 16k miles. I was told the repair came to $7k, tho BMW covered it. It left me stranded in the fast lane of a major boulevard.
Did the tech explain why the fuel pump failed? If the failure is due to moisture in fuel then it will not be reliability issue, and can affect diesel and gasoline cars alike.

Maybe waiting in line at Costco gas pumps is a good thing.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:36 AM
Kasas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal328d View Post
I had the same issue with my break down / complete stop! I was told they found metal in the fuel tank... My question to you for peace of mind. Is after they made your repair have you had any problems. My main concern is driving this car again considering I came to a complete stop! This may be off-topic (well it's not but I feel that BMW has not had any remorse for the situation so I just want to say) I'm glad that neither one of us were involved in an accident or on a freeway! And came out of this ok.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 03-25-2017, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d X-Drive
Reading this has confirmed in my mind the decision I made last week regarding my 2014 328d (see my two threads WTF U-Joint Differential and "Technicians" just changing parts. Looked at Lexus yesterday and just communicated with the sales person regarding color combinations and cash price and leases. I expect my BMW will be gone within the week.

I had my first BMW, '68 1600 purchased in '71, Kaiserslautern Germany

I had my second, '67 (?) 1800, four door sedan, not sure they ever exported these to US

3rd through 7th, various 1600s and 2002s, one a Tii purchased while living in Wiesbaden Germany, '73-'76

8th through 12th, 2002s and one '77 (?) 528i or 530i. Purchased in Houston TX between '79 and '85. The 528 was a disappointment though.

Sold it in '85 because company hooked me into a new Chevy (yeah, but FREE) plus which driving to grad school and back 3 times a week was killing me on gas. Not so much the price but the ****ty mileage and the tiny tank. Had company cars until I retired in 2003.

Hadn't had a BMW since until I bought the 328d in May of 2014. Probably won't be going back.

yakaholic

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search