Tire replacement - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 07-05-2017, 02:53 PM
gdyear78

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328xi
Tire replacement

Hello, unfortunately for me one of my pirelli run flats has a gash in the sidewall (didn't hit anything) and I'm going to need to replace it. Frankly I hate the run flats, anyone else make the switch? I can't stand them enough that I want to be replace all 4 with 6k miles on them.

I have a 2016 228xi convertible. Looking for all season and non staggered tire suggestions.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0644.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	612634

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2017, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: '15 M235Xi,ex e30,e39
Michelin is the answer. PSS or if you need AS they offer that as well. Look no further.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2017, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328
I just put on Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+ on my 328 and like them so far. I read a ton about different all seasons and it came down to these or the conti dws 06. I settled on the pilots as contis have thinner sidewalls and i believe the michelins are a better match to a suspension designed for runflats with a thicker sidewall.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2017, 04:07 PM

Also I think there is currently a $70 rebate on the michelins

Old 07-05-2017, 04:58 PM
gdyear78

Thanks for the feedback. I've read good reviews on Michelin so likely going that route. It's about the same cost replacing 2 runflats if I get all 4 new non runflat. Now I need a spare or kit but it's worth it it seems.

Has anyone ever had this happen (see picture)? I haven't. As you can see I didn't even scratch the rim.

Old 07-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: C7 Corvette Mini CooperF5
FWIW, go to Tire Rack Website and read the reviews and the comparisons between tires. I did that when I swapped out the Hankooks RF on my Mini. Wound up buying Conti Extreme DW's and rims. I did that to shave 32lbs of unsprung weight from the car. Handling improved and picked up about 10 WHP and 11 Lb Ft. of torque in deal.

While many shun the run flats, consider your driving habits and the perceived need for the most performance oriented tire vs. a late night drive home and a flat that mobilizes your car or the necessity to carry a spare w/ jack.

You didn't mention you age, but speaking as a older person w/ back issues, Next set of tires for the MINI will be RF Dunlops. (the only RF I could find that weigh 19 lbs each and won't add to the unsprung wheel weight I have w/ the Conti's).
Old 07-06-2017, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: '15 M235Xi,ex e30,e39
Thumbs up Compact spare

Try Bimmerzone.com
Old 07-06-2017, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: '17 M240i xDrive
Now that I've destroyed a second set of Michelin PSS due to excessive outer sidewall wear, in about 7000mi, I'm going to try Conti ExtremeContact Sport's next week. I'll report back
Old 07-07-2017, 02:08 AM
BimmerFreak

Mein Auto: F80 M3
Yes take off the runflats and put Michelin or Vredestein on it
Old 07-07-2017, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereklang View Post
Now that I've destroyed a second set of Michelin PSS due to excessive outer sidewall wear, in about 7000mi, I'm going to try Conti ExtremeContact Sport's next week. I'll report back

Outer sidewalk wear?? Get the to a professional alignment shop.
Old 07-07-2017, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 228i
Try Firestone's Firehawk Indi 500. They have raving reviews.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieb923 View Post
Michelin is the answer. PSS or if you need AS they offer that as well. Look no further.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Is it true that if you remove run flats to regular the tire pressure sensor gets messed up and gives either inaccurate readings or warnings?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM
gdyear78

Thanks everyone. I decided to bring to the dealer as they have a buy 4 get 1 free deal going on (and can use a free loaner). Went with the Michelin AS Pilot Sport 3+, replacing all 4 based on reviews and mostly positive feedback.

Not one person at the dealership had positive things to say on the run flats (so why does BMW use them almost entirely?) and agreed it was a good switch. Makes me feel better about the purchase.

Looking forward to an improved drive and less headaches (hopefully).

FYI one local tire place told me they wouldn't install non-run flats if the car came with them per their company policy. I explained the dealership would without issue but didn't matter. Oh well.

Last edited by gdyear78; 07-07-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Tire replacement

Why does BMW (and many other manufacturers) use runflats? Weight. These tires preclude the need of a jack, a lug wrench and a spare tire/wheel.

Weight impacts the car's ability to accelerate, thereby increasing fuel consumption, hence mileage. That's the same reason why cars have so much plastic-weight!
Old 07-08-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleish99 View Post
Is it true that if you remove run flats to regular the tire pressure sensor gets messed up and gives either inaccurate readings or warnings?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Bimmerfest mobile app

Tmps should work fine with non run-flats, in both cases they are simply monitoring the pressure.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: Truck and car
My 230xi came with MPSS... I've already purchased 4 wheels (went to 17s) and tires for a square setup. I went with the new General AS-05 All Season.

Last edited by crabu2; 07-13-2017 at 07:02 AM.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235 xDrive converti
For those who switched away from run-flats, what did you do to cover getting a flat?

I want to replace my run-flats with ContiExtreme DWS's or Michelin's noted above. My local tire place will not replace run-flats with normal tires due to liability. They said someone was killed by the loose spare tire hitting them in a crash. I'd have to go to a private garage to get them mounted.

Has anyone found a way to bolt a spare tire or donut to their 2-series trunk? I've got a convertible so there's not too much room already.

The only other thing I can think of is to have a plug kit and portable pump in the event of a flat. Or don't bring anything and just call BMW roadside assistance in the event of a flat, which might not be such a bad option either.

What have others done?

Thanks,
Rich
Old 08-19-2017, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: Truck and car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuttigl View Post
I want to replace my run-flats with ContiExtreme DWS's or Michelin's noted above. My local tire place will not replace run-flats with normal tires due to liability. They said someone was killed by the loose spare tire hitting them in a crash. I'd have to go to a private garage to get them mounted.

Has anyone found a way to bolt a spare tire or donut to their 2-series trunk? I've got a convertible so there's not too much room already.

The only other thing I can think of is to have a plug kit and portable pump in the event of a flat. Or don't bring anything and just call BMW roadside assistance in the event of a flat, which might not be such a bad option either.

What have others done?

Thanks,
Rich
Are you kidding me? A spare tire killed someone so they won't sell you go flats? They could have been killed because of a book or a 12 pack can of cola they were carrying in their trunk at the time. Why are they even selling tires when I've heard of vehicles having blow outs, cars rolling, and people dying?

Kind of funny when you think that BMW will gladly sell you either the run flat or go flat. BMW just gives you their version of fix a flat, when you get go flats from the factory.

Me, I carry a plug kit I picked up from Amazon. It's nothing new.. I've been carrying a plug kit for decades now, even when I had a spare. I just plug the tire on the side of the road, air it up and go.. I've never had to use a spare, since carrying a plug kit.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:19 PM
gdyear78

Try another establishment or go to your dealer. I bought mine from the dealership, got a buy 3 get one free deal AND $70 credit card from Michelin.

P.S., the driving experience is vastly improved with the non run flats, wish I had made the switch earlier!

Old 08-19-2017, 03:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 M235 xDrive converti
They actually said the person was decapitated (srsly?!). No idea if a true story but I would think people know to bolt a spare tire down. They (Sullivan Tire) also said another person died by getting hit jacking up their car to change the tire. They said Run-flats let you safely drive so you don't have to use the breakdown lane.

These stories don't deter me from switching to go flats, just wondering the best way to handle a flat (donut+jack, plug kit + pump, or just call AAA for a tow). I don't think the fix-a-flat systems are safe for TPMS sensors so I'd avoid that.

Thanks for the replies! (I'm new to BMW and this forum).

I was leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (slightly better dry perf) over the conti's (slightly better wet perf) tho they are heavier (Mich 24lb, Conti 21lb, OEM 22lb). Sullivan Tire prefers Conti's. Said they don't like Michelin's as they crack after 3 years. Any truth to that?
Old 08-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi, 2005 330Cic
I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 on a 2012 335is and a 2014 535d x-drive replacing run flats on both vehicles and am very pleased. The Michelin warranty states they will tow you to a Michelin dealer if you don't have a serviceable spare up to 150 miles.
Old 08-20-2017, 04:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
I was driving through my 'hood last week and noticed a neighbor had a new X5 in their driveway, still with 30-day tags on it. Then I noticed it was listing to one side and the right-rear tire was partially flat. I stopped, and knocked on the door to tell them. I figured it'd be easier to deal with it then than when they were in a hurry to go somewhere. Their tire had a cut in it just like the picture above.

Here's some good news. The new G01 X3 30i will offer non-run flat tires, a mini-spare, and a hole under the cargo area hole to put the mini-spare. On the base model, non-RFT's are a $600 option, also replacing the 18" rims with 19" rims. But, with the $1300 Premium Package (Parking Assistance Plus, Active Park Distance Control, and Surround View with 3D View), the non-run flats and mini-spare are no-cost options. So, BMW is slowing getting the message.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbuttigl View Post
They actually said the person was decapitated (srsly?!). No idea if a true story but I would think people know to bolt a spare tire down. They (Sullivan Tire) also said another person died by getting hit jacking up their car to change the tire. They said Run-flats let you safely drive so you don't have to use the breakdown lane.

These stories don't deter me from switching to go flats, just wondering the best way to handle a flat (donut+jack, plug kit + pump, or just call AAA for a tow). I don't think the fix-a-flat systems are safe for TPMS sensors so I'd avoid that.

Thanks for the replies! (I'm new to BMW and this forum).

I was leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 (slightly better dry perf) over the conti's (slightly better wet perf) tho they are heavier (Mich 24lb, Conti 21lb, OEM 22lb). Sullivan Tire prefers Conti's. Said they don't like Michelin's as they crack after 3 years. Any truth to that?
RFT's are only good for getting you to a safe place to change the tire. I've driven somewhere between 850k and 950k miles in my 42 years of driving. I've only had one blow-out, and that was caused by a defective rubber valve stem, not a puncture. I was lucky to be place where it was safe to change the tire. BMW valve stems are now metal. So, the root cause of my one blow-out has been eliminated.

Admittedly, when I'm in the NE on business, driving on the urban interstates, I think "Damn, I'd hate to have a flat tire here." I also think that driving on I-95 through The Bronx in NYC.

I replaced my RFT's on my 535i, and it transformed the car.

Michelin's are bad for the sidewalls deteriorating due to sunlight exposure. They seem to turn brown faster than other brands. The solution is regular application of some kind of tire treatment. I used Meguiar's Endurance. I had some new Bridgestone's on Frau Putzer's beater and didn't treat them. Their sidewalls started cracking after about three years.

You need to find a new tire store, and one with a lever-less tire machine to prevent scratching the rims, especially during the removal of low-profile RFT's.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search