EPS Torque sensor ISTA D - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F31 330D M Sport
EPS Torque sensor ISTA D

Hi,

Checked for any fault codes on my car via ISTA D Rheingold and I have the following logged at recent mileages (I have done a clear of fault codes prior)

48239C EPS torque sensor (steering angle index): Index Faulty

D01B2A Interface EPS (actual position EPS 51.0.2): Signal invalid

They are clearly related but I have no lights on the dash and the steering feels fine?

I've tried resetting the EPS by disconnecting the battery for 15+ mins and letting the steering "relearn" however the error popped right back up once plugged into ISTA D.

Anyone got any ideas?

Car is a 2012 F31 330D M Sport

Last edited by Nyxea; 08-25-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2016, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 F31 330D M Sport
Bump, seems to be a rare error, still can't find anything myself other then replacing the whole column, this seems extreme though as I feel nothing out of the ordinary through the steering?
Old 12-19-2016, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3
Hi,

Nyxea, have you been able to resolve an issue? I am facing the same problem, checked connectors, etc and have no idea what to do next. Any help would be highly appreciated.
Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2016, 06:39 PM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
As long as you don't have any dash lights on saying something is wrong, any codes you pull don't really mean anything. Many error codes are logged, but don't indicate anything is wrong until you get over a certain number of that code or a certain number over a given time or miles. Some people read their codes to see if they may have an issue developing, but unless you know much more about how the systems work than I do, I wouldn't worry about any codes you pull unless you have a dash light showing.

Oh, and BTW, disconnecting the battery doesn't really do much on modern car, but the urban legends seems to persist.

2014 435i M-Sport, Mineral Gray, Black Dakota Leather, Driver Assistance Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 8 Speed Sport AT, Heated Front Seats, Active Cruise Control, BMW MPPK w/MPE, BMW Limited Slip Diff, BBS CH Wheels.

2002 M Roadster, Steel Gray Metailic, Gray Nappa Leather, Black Soft Top, Steel Gray Metailic Hard Top, TC Kline Double Adj Shocks with H&R Springs, Stromung Exhaust, SSR Type C Wheels.

Last edited by khammack; 12-19-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLIT
Mein Auto: F22 M235i
I'm also dealing with this issue and have even gone to the lengths of swapping out torque sensors with one I know worked. As a result of still receiving the "Increased Steering Effort" in which the belt sounds of the servo in the EPS Control module are loud and three point turns are a full workout. I've done the teach in for the SAS. I've also got Chassis Malfunction warnings on the dash, which seems to be more EDC related. I do have KW V2 Coilovers with EDC Delete's so I'm curious how those modules interact. Still have not been able to nail down the culprit of the OP's issues which are still my own. I've even probed every connector to the EPS control module and their respective grounds. Every fuse was tested as well and none blown. At a loss at this point and dreading having to go to an indy shop and pay out the a$$ to get my enjoyable driving experience back. FYI I'm in a 2015 F22 (N55) M235i with 21,2xx miles and it just seems awfully early to be experiencing so many EPS issues
Old 03-25-2018, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: f30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLIT View Post
I'm also dealing with this issue and have even gone to the lengths of swapping out torque sensors with one I know worked. As a result of still receiving the "Increased Steering Effort" in which the belt sounds of the servo in the EPS Control module are loud and three point turns are a full workout. I've done the teach in for the SAS. I've also got Chassis Malfunction warnings on the dash, which seems to be more EDC related. I do have KW V2 Coilovers with EDC Delete's so I'm curious how those modules interact. Still have not been able to nail down the culprit of the OP's issues which are still my own. I've even probed every connector to the EPS control module and their respective grounds. Every fuse was tested as well and none blown. At a loss at this point and dreading having to go to an indy shop and pay out the a$$ to get my enjoyable driving experience back. FYI I'm in a 2015 F22 (N55) M235i with 21,2xx miles and it just seems awfully early to be experiencing so many EPS issues
Not sure if this is related but I have heard that the belts in the new electric power steering units requires replacement.. Can't remember what the typical mileage for replacement is..

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search