Cargo Cover question - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 PM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Cargo Cover question

Hi. This is my first post. I drive a certified pre-owned 2015 x1 SAV SDrive 28i. I have been a loyal BMW owner since 1999. I purchased the 2015 vehicle through a car buying service. My question is about the "missing" retractable cargo cover, which I didn't notice was "missing" until -- one year later -- I asked my long-time, trusted service advisor and he said the cargo cover was "standard" and I should contact the dealer I purchased it from. But that dealership was a nightmare; with a pre-owned through a car-buying service, you have to travel to wherever the vehicle is located. Until now, I used any makeshift way I could to cover the trunk contents from prying eyes. But I looked at my paperwork, which has the disclaimer "SOLD AS EQUIPPED. NOTHING PROMISED OR IMPLIED." To purchase the rear cargo cover now, my service rep got a quote of $434.66. I checked out Forum posts about this and saw two trends: (1) 1 or 2 owners who also thought this part was standard, discovered it missing, and then had to fight to receive it, AND (2) so many owners who post that they removed the cargo cover for many different reasons. But the point is that they didn't reinstall it; most of them report that they left it somewhere in their home or garage to gather dust. So then I ask, is it even worth the money or the trouble to purchase one? And, yes, I know I can buy it used online for much less -- probably from someone who doesn't want it lying around their house. Prior to this I drove a 2000 3 series 328i sedan for 15 years, so I am new to the Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV) world. Thanks for any feedback and sorry this was so long.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 04-20-2016, 09:41 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 26,762
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

I moved your question to the X1 forum specific to your year X1. You should get help here.

I think if you'd realized the cover was missing BEFORE purchase, you'd have had a chance of the dealer at least helping with part of the cost. It's unlikely they'd have covered the whole price, because "SOLD AS EQUIPPED. NOTHING PROMISED OR IMPLIED." means just what it says. Now, a year later? No chance.
__________________
Quotes to live by:
guessing gets expensive...drivinfaster
nothing is more expensive than a cheap BMW...c4harpe13
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
BMW-CCA #441426

1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2016, 10:50 PM
vstolpner vstolpner is offline
Northern BMW Fan
Location: Vancouver, BC
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 595
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
I agree that you're not likely to get anything from the dealership. I find we use the cover all the time but it's not retractable. Can you share the part number you're talking about? Because a retractable cover would be very interesting...
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 04-21-2016, 06:59 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Cargo Cover

Thank you all for your posts. Very helpful!

According to my dealer, the part for the 2015 x1 is

51-46-2-991-847
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2016, 07:03 AM
briar08 briar08 is offline
Registered User
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 82
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 sdDive 28i
Never used mine. Its not retractable, and just sits in the basement. You aren't missing much. You loose some valuable storage space when its in use.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-21-2016, 07:10 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

I moved your question to the X1 forum specific to your year X1. You should get help here.

I think if you'd realized the cover was missing BEFORE purchase, you'd have had a chance of the dealer at least helping with part of the cost. It's unlikely they'd have covered the whole price, because "SOLD AS EQUIPPED. NOTHING PROMISED OR IMPLIED." means just what it says. Now, a year later? No chance.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-21-2016, 07:12 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by briar08 View Post
Never used mine. Its not retractable, and just sits in the basement. You aren't missing much. You loose some valuable storage space when its in use.
Thanks very much for your response. That's pretty much what I have seen from other owners. I had a full car cover for my 2000 328i and it just sat in my basement and I never used it. Never even moved it when I moved from New Jersey to California -- just threw it away.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-21-2016, 09:15 AM
vstolpner vstolpner is offline
Northern BMW Fan
Location: Vancouver, BC
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 595
Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
It's really a shame that BMW didn't make our shelf tray retractable. I had it on my previous car (Subaru Impreza) and it was great - covers when you need, and barely takes up any room when you don't.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-21-2016, 08:29 PM
MajorTranq MajorTranq is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Modesto, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 207
Mein Auto: X1
My cargo cover isn't retractable, either. I only carry the dog in the back, or carry larger loads with seats folded down, so the cargo cover is collecting dust in the garage. There are times it might come in handy but it's mostly useless. If it was retractable it would see some occasional use.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2016, 04:43 AM
JimH46 JimH46 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 287
Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
I use mine. Keeps stuff in the back hidden from view. When I need to carry larger items, I just remove it and lay the two pieces on the folded down rear seats. I would miss it if I didn't have it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-22-2016, 06:46 AM
spydrz's Avatar
spydrz spydrz is offline
Sandlapper Chapter
Location: RVA
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,912
Mein Auto: 2015 M4, 2015 i3
I swear it also cuts down on noise from the rear of the car as well.
__________________
1984 318i/man./Tornadorot*
1990 525i/man./Alpinweiß*
2001 525i/man./SP/PP/Cosmos/Beige*
2002 X5 3.0i/man./SP/PP/Sirius/BT/Silver/Beige*
2006 330i/man./SP/PP/CWP/Sirius/Arktis/Grau*
2001 525i/step./SP/PP/CP/CWP/Xenons/Rear Shade/OEM Sirius/OEM BT/OEM AUX/M5 Rear Sway/Bilstein HDs/Beisan Vanos/Rear Fogs/Schiefergrün/Sandbeige*
2013 X1 xDrive35i Alpinweiß/Schwarz/M Sport/Premium/Tech/Dinan Stage 2*
2015 i3 Capparisweiss/Solaric
2015 M4/man./Mineralgrau/Schwarz
*retired
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-22-2016, 07:37 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstolpner View Post
It's really a shame that BMW didn't make our shelf tray retractable. I had it on my previous car (Subaru Impreza) and it was great - covers when you need, and barely takes up any room when you don't.
Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-22-2016, 07:39 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH46 View Post
I use mine. Keeps stuff in the back hidden from view. When I need to carry larger items, I just remove it and lay the two pieces on the folded down rear seats. I would miss it if I didn't have it.
Thanks for your feedback. Have a good day.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-22-2016, 07:40 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spydrz View Post
I swear it also cuts down on noise from the rear of the car as well.
Thanks for your reply. Have a great day.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-22-2016, 07:46 AM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTranq View Post
My cargo cover isn't retractable, either. I only carry the dog in the back, or carry larger loads with seats folded down, so the cargo cover is collecting dust in the garage. There are times it might come in handy but it's mostly useless. If it was retractable it would see some occasional use.
Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it. Take care.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-22-2016, 07:56 AM
DjD-X5 DjD-X5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Fortuna
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 727
Mein Auto: '13 X5 xDrive 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarus51 View Post
Hi. This is my first post. I drive a certified pre-owned 2015 x1 SAV SDrive 28i. I have been a loyal BMW owner since 1999. I purchased the 2015 vehicle through a car buying service. My question is about the "missing" retractable cargo cover, which I didn't notice was "missing" until -- one year later -- I asked my long-time, trusted service advisor and he said the cargo cover was "standard" and I should contact the dealer I purchased it from. But that dealership was a nightmare; with a pre-owned through a car-buying service, you have to travel to wherever the vehicle is located. Until now, I used any makeshift way I could to cover the trunk contents from prying eyes. But I looked at my paperwork, which has the disclaimer "SOLD AS EQUIPPED. NOTHING PROMISED OR IMPLIED." To purchase the rear cargo cover now, my service rep got a quote of $434.66. I checked out Forum posts about this and saw two trends: (1) 1 or 2 owners who also thought this part was standard, discovered it missing, and then had to fight to receive it, AND (2) so many owners who post that they removed the cargo cover for many different reasons. But the point is that they didn't reinstall it; most of them report that they left it somewhere in their home or garage to gather dust. So then I ask, is it even worth the money or the trouble to purchase one? And, yes, I know I can buy it used online for much less -- probably from someone who doesn't want it lying around their house. Prior to this I drove a 2000 3 series 328i sedan for 15 years, so I am new to the Sport Activity Vehicle (SAV) world. Thanks for any feedback and sorry this was so long.
It's called a rear window shelf and is not retracting. It's a 2 piece plastic that when installed is suspended from the hatch and lifts as the hatch is opened. By googling you can find the parts you need at many BMW specific retail and even dealership parts websites.

I only drove an X1 for 3 weeks but hated the design of it but wouldn't want to not have one. If all you need is the 2 big plastic panels it's about $260 but if your X1 doesn't have all the trim parts that make it fit and work it could be much more expensive.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...sembly=1230810

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_2917
__________________
Dennis,

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2016, 07:54 PM
Rarus51 Rarus51 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, California
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2015 x1 SDrive28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjD-X5 View Post
It's called a rear window shelf and is not retracting. It's a 2 piece plastic that when installed is suspended from the hatch and lifts as the hatch is opened. By googling you can find the parts you need at many BMW specific retail and even dealership parts websites.

I only drove an X1 for 3 weeks but hated the design of it but wouldn't want to not have one. If all you need is the 2 big plastic panels it's about $260 but if your X1 doesn't have all the trim parts that make it fit and work it could be much more expensive.

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...sembly=1230810

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=51_2917
Thanks for the great information. I appreciate the trouble you took to send it. Take care,
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.