Windsheild Replacement 2015 X1 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)

X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
First generation BMW X1 availbe as a X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i xDrive.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Windsheild Replacement 2015 X1

Opinions please.
I have a crack creeping across my windshield and obviously need to replace it. I will not use Safelight or such.
The options are at a reputable auto glass dealer, OEM Glass for $340 or PPG replacement glass $0.

Or,
Replacement at the dealer for about $1200. Dealer wants to replace a lot of items that I am not sure necessary. Such as the rain sensor, and the condensation sensor(never heard of).

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2016, 06:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
I had my windshield replaced recently.
It was not OEM, but the glass and molds are a perfect fit. You can't tell its not the original glass except for the stamp.

However, the rain sensor doesn't work like it used to. (the auto swipe part of it)
It won't swipe as much as it used to, even on the highest/fastest setting.
It still works... but just isn't the same as it was.

I don't know if the glass repair shop did something to the sensor, or if the glass is slightly
different. I know there is a coding option to "reset" the rain sensor and I have not tried that.

If I could do it again, I would probably pay extra for the OEM glass.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: S-Drive X1
Are you saying the frequency on the auto setting is less with your new windshield?

On my car the auto intermittent is too frequent even at its lowest setting, and thus I do not use it at all. Others have noted this in a prior thread. If there was a coding option to make an adjustment of the sensor that would decrease the frequency of the wipers I would be very interested in trying that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
I can't recall if they said by the dealer or with OEM glass, but I was told when I bought my car that the auto setting may not work properly in whichever case it was.

When (I'm in Colorado so it's definitely when, not if) I need to replace mine I will probably skip the dealership and try going the OEM glass route.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 13' X1 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteatwo View Post
Are you saying the frequency on the auto setting is less with your new windshield?

On my car the auto intermittent is too frequent even at its lowest setting, and thus I do not use it at all. Others have noted this in a prior thread. If there was a coding option to make an adjustment of the sensor that would decrease the frequency of the wipers I would be very interested in trying that.
Yes, I wish it swiped more.
So, kinda the opposite of what you are experiencing. Strange.

Right from delivery, the rain swiping (on auto setting) seemed to work just right. The minor settings you
could make on the stalk would adjust nicely as well.
After the new glass.... it just seems a little slower/laggy to swipe.

I don't drive enough in rainy weather to warrant getting this adjusted, but I do have thoughts
about re-initializing the sensor when I have time to code, or getting OEM glass the next time
I get hammered by rocks.

I'm sure this will come sooner than later as I've already replaced one fog lamp, and have
almost used up my bottle of chip repair paint.

Last edited by stonex1; 03-22-2016 at 10:11 PM.
Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 PM
Northern BMW Fan

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X1 xdrive28i
For anyone who finds the wipers too slow (or never wants to use them). Try Aquapel - water repellent coating. I've been using it for about 6 months, it's still going strong and works amazing.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:11 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonex1 View Post
I had my windshield replaced recently.
It was not OEM, but the glass and molds are a perfect fit. You can't tell its not the original glass except for the stamp.

However, the rain sensor doesn't work like it used to. (the auto swipe part of it)
It won't swipe as much as it used to, even on the highest/fastest setting.
It still works... but just isn't the same as it was.

I don't know if the glass repair shop did something to the sensor, or if the glass is slightly
different. I know there is a coding option to "reset" the rain sensor and I have not tried that.

If I could do it again, I would probably pay extra for the OEM glass.
I have had to replace my windshield twice (thru insurance) on my 2012 X1. First time, the replacement windshield rain sensor did not work at all so aftermarket windshield store replaced with OEM windshield and sensor worked correctly. Second time when windshield broke from rock, I insisted on the OEM windshield from the start and its rain sensor worked fine. I would insist on the OEM replacement but luckily in my case there was no upcharge either time, insurance company agreed to absorb because I didn't return to BMW dealership for replacement as they were significantly more for the OEM.
Old 04-09-2016, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: X1 XDrive35i
Had my windshield replaced after it mysteriously had a 15" crack when dealer finished servicing it. The dealer used a local glass company but for sure it was not OE glass. Everything was installed fine and sensors working. the glass tech said it was the same windshield used on the 3 series sedan (E90 I would assume).
Old 04-09-2016, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
I would have my BMW shop handle glass replacement on my newer or any recent BMW.
Even if they sub it out, ensuring all related features / functions work correctly (sensors, HUD, etc etc) is on them.
As a former road warrior I've cracked / chipped my share of windshields and have used both the large mobile glass replacement companies as well as a well-established auto glass shop in my home town years ago when windshields were just windshields and they did a decent job at a fairly reasonable price (mostly covered by my auto insurance policy). But that was then - this is now!
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search