Gasoline - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto:
Gasoline

Hello everyone!! I just purchase a 2016 M4 convt in Ga. I wanted to know if the premium gas at Costco will work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 06:11 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Yeah
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 10-20-2019, 06:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Costco gas is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2019, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i + 2018 X3 30i
https://www.toptiergas.com/consumers/
Old 10-20-2019, 08:23 AM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autoputzer View Post
To clarify, Costco sells top tier gas.
Old 12-23-2019, 11:09 PM

Mein Auto:
even if it's top tear we highly recommend Octane booster every 1500miles, those cars tuned in Germany the premium there 98 octane, use German certified octane booster from MotorPower care
Old 12-24-2019, 04:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
European octane rating is based strictly on the “research” octane. Gas in the US octane rating is based on the “research” and the “motor” octane. That is, US gas octane is based on the average of the 2 ratings. US 93 octane is about 100 octane for Europe’s gas. Stick with premium gas from a station listed in the top tier gas website. I use Shell 93 exclusively. You don’t need an octane booster. The engine computer (DME in BMWspeak) adjusts ignition timing based primarily on octane. How? The engine has knock sensors.
Old 12-24-2019, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto:
marcozandrini, in this case then for our race cars in Europe that they using 100 octane we should use the U.S. gasoline !!! there is a big argument about it but we talk whats happening in the market, such as the issues that we have here in the market much as carbon issue, the carbon build up issue percentage that we have it in the U.S. market vehicles is way higher than in Germany, I agree with u that the vehicle will adjust it self (nock & MAP) but it still not as you tune the ECU directly. we have many BMW repair shops and we get the feedback from them, who uses the octane booster more frequently in there BMW's, Mini's, Audi's & VW's they have less carbon issues and better fuel consumption.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
Europe’s 100 octane gas is equivalent to our 93 octane gas because Europe uses only the gas’s research octane rating. Buy your gas from a station that sells top tier gas and additives are unnecessary.

I pulled the fuel injectors on my old E46 with the M54B30 engine. I thought that one of the injector o-rings was leaking. The business end of all injectors was pristine. I bought only Shell or Texaco fuel for that car. Both sell top tier gas.
Old 12-25-2019, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
This is all true for those of you east of the Rockies. For those of us west of the Rockies, we are stuck with 91 octane "premium".
Old 12-25-2019, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
This is all true for those of you east of the Rockies. For those of us west of the Rockies, we are stuck with 91 octane "premium".
What is the recommendation on your gas door?
Old 12-25-2019, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcr3d View Post
What is the recommendation on your gas door?
89 required, 91 recommended.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:24 AM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCare View Post
marcozandrini, in this case then for our race cars in Europe that they using 100 octane we should use the U.S. gasoline !!! there is a big argument about it but we talk whats happening in the market, such as the issues that we have here in the market much as carbon issue, the carbon build up issue percentage that we have it in the U.S. market vehicles is way higher than in Germany, I agree with u that the vehicle will adjust it self (nock & MAP) but it still not as you tune the ECU directly. we have many BMW repair shops and we get the feedback from them, who uses the octane booster more frequently in there BMW's, Mini's, Audi's & VW's they have less carbon issues and better fuel consumption.
aside from @marcozandrini's comments, you provide zero empirical evidence of your claims for your products. In fact, some of your statements just make me scratch my head. First, you are claiming that higher octane using your octane booster somehow reduces carbon issues like carbon build up. That is simply false. Second, your products lack serious tech data sheets that justify claims like "up to" 6 RON points per 20gallons with a note specifying "ideally suited for low quality fuel". Last I checked US premium and top tier gas is not low quality fuel. Even if we take your claim that your product boosts RON by up to 6 points per 20 gallons, that would only increase US 91 to 91.6 (1 octane point = 1/10th octane number). Now, since 6 points is your max claim, based on low quality fuel, we can safely assume that there would be diminishing values with high quality fuel. So even if we give you 1 point, that would make US 91 at 91.1...I'm being very generous. So, tell me how your $22/can octane booster is really going to do anything more than empty my wallet by $22 every gas refill.

Last, more importantly, i believe every german car maker from Porsche to BMW have all stated that even using lower-octane fuel does not harm their engines, despite putting recommended octane on the fuel cap/door.

Last edited by imtjm; 12-30-2019 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-30-2019, 09:22 PM

Mein Auto:
first I'm not here to provide false info as you stating and not here to convince people like you they have info in there head and they think it's right. second yes better combustion less carbon in the system, to help u understand this one check the exhaust on cars they use low fuel and others high octane as race cars and you see the exhaust clean and not black from carbon fumes, third we state it adds 6 points to 20 gallons but if u mix it with less than 20 gallons u gain more points, also we are stating that it adds 6 points of RON because we know it's very good percentage and no other competitor gets to certify exactly how much there product can add, as well the formula that you provided is not right google it and check how many RON points will = AKI that they use in the US gas stations it's less but not as u starting 10th of the point, and as price wise our octane booster not $22 it's $17.99.
and about the low fuel quality will not harm the engine, there is a reason why they say that so don't follow the marketing check the issues that we have in the market that it's caused by the low fuel quality.

you have to try it to believe it...
Old 12-30-2019, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 328ix sdn; M240ix cpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPCare View Post
first I'm not here to provide false info as you stating and not here to convince people like you they have info in there head and they think it's right. second yes better combustion less carbon in the system, to help u understand this one check the exhaust on cars they use low fuel and others high octane as race cars and you see the exhaust clean and not black from carbon fumes, third we state it adds 6 points to 20 gallons but if u mix it with less than 20 gallons u gain more points, also we are stating that it adds 6 points of RON because we know it's very good percentage and no other competitor gets to certify exactly how much there product can add, as well the formula that you provided is not right google it and check how many RON points will = AKI that they use in the US gas stations it's less but not as u starting 10th of the point, and as price wise our octane booster not $22 it's $17.99.
and about the low fuel quality will not harm the engine, there is a reason why they say that so don't follow the marketing check the issues that we have in the market that it's caused by the low fuel quality.

you have to try it to believe it...
sorry, you are flat out wrong wrong wrong on every count. Also, each point is in fact only 1/10th, and that is not at the pump in the US. So, it would be even less than 1/10th. no matter if we give your product wide lattitude in your unverified, no tech data or spec sheet, product claim, you would see less than 1/10th if any octane increase on a typcial fill up. And you misquote your own can, it doesn't add 6 points, it claims to add "up to" 6 points based on low quality fuel, whatever that means. Yes, you are selling at $17.99 although your site retails the product for $22. So, it is in fact $22 retail as you specify on your website.

I'll let you google search, but you can easily see from Porsche, BMW, and the like spokesman all have publicly stated lower octane fuel will not harm their engines, despite what is on the fuel cap/door. PERIOD.

Your view on the marketing is backward. They market higher octane, not the other way around.

Last edited by imtjm; 12-31-2019 at 09:07 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 10:29 AM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
I concur on that one Doctor !

I have found it is more a performance issue, on my 128, it states MINIMUM 89, I have used all shades from 87 to 93, I find on the 87 no problems except when I try some spirited driving 93 makes the whole feel of the car different (as in better different) placebo ? don't think so

but yes I did a lot of research and asked the same questions, the minimum WILL not damage your engine, it's just not recommended

what is MORE of a show stopper is the quality i.e toptier gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by imtjm View Post
I'll let you google search, but you can easily see from Porsche, BMW, and the like spokesman all have publically stated lower octane fuel will not harm their engines, despite what is on the fuel cap/door. PERIOD.

Last edited by jaye944; 12-31-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-31-2019, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0 Roadster, X3 30si
+1 Have used Shell 93 in all my cars Top tier gas and oils are essential for our cars.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:39 PM
where da clutch at ?

Mein Auto: BMW 128i Msport
I think on another thread which was hammered to death,

Your BMW will change the timing (etc) if you don't use the right octane, using an octane value higher than is needed, is not dangerous but wasteful
if your car says xx, use it, if it says minimum xx, do that, if it says 87 and you use 93 +octane booster you are burning your dollar bills for no good reason
Old 01-02-2020, 07:37 PM

Mein Auto:
octane booster the solution

if u looking for better performance then octane booster is the solution, new cars sticker they show recommended, before it was required only premium for BMW.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:48 PM
Do You Smell That?

Mein Auto: 997.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTar View Post
if u looking for better performance then octane booster is the solution, new cars sticker they show recommended, before it was required only premium for BMW.

Hahahahahhahhaa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search