Cooked headlight wiring - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 06-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Cooked headlight wiring

Recently I had both wheelwell covers off to access the headlight bulbs for an LED conversion. While accessing the bulbs I noticed the insulation on the headlight wiring was quite brittle and was actually missing in several sections. I checked the other side and found the same story. It was bad enough that a couple bare wires were touching each other.This helped to explain why my "bulb out" warning light would come on at random, despite all bulbs working.

I believe the extreme heat generated by the halogen bulbs (and trapped under the air tight covers) cooked the insulation over time. I ended up rewrapping the wires in heavy duty heat shrink, and that took care of it. Hoping this helps someone.
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2019, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 M Coupe
I have noticed the same thing with the wires to my angel eyes. Have not paid attention to the headlight wires, but the insulation on the angel eye wires is dry, cracked and fallen away. It is not just near the headlights, so I don't attribute it to heat. My service guy tells me it is common and a bear to try to fix. Just one more thing where the Ultimate Driving Machine is no longer the super well built piece of German engineering. And yes, I love my M Coupe and wouldn't let go of it for the world, but I am regularly disappointed with the engineering.

Last edited by Patrick Gent; 06-30-2019 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4
I have not seen this (yet). Just an idea that might work (patch). Maybe a liquid tape type product might work to restore the insulation. I have not researched the best one, but it might work. https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bende...153060&sr=8-20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2020, 06:08 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Wires touching do not cause "bulb out" but short-circuit intervention as by FRM / LCM. "Bulb out" is caused by external lights circuit monitor for OPEN circuits like a burned out bulb or broken wire / connector.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryDZ View Post
I have not seen this (yet). Just an idea that might work (patch). Maybe a liquid tape type product might work to restore the insulation. I have not researched the best one, but it might work. https://www.amazon.com/Gardner-Bende...153060&sr=8-20
Gardner-Bender upper temperature limit 200F
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search