Clock keeps resetting - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto:
Has anyone had an issue where their clock keeps resorting back to --:-- on the gauge cluseter/radio when turning their car back on after it sits off for a while? Ive tried setting it while the car is running but itll always clear when i turn the car off for a while and turn it back on. Its just been an annoying problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2020, 02:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
how old is the battery ?
Old 03-23-2020, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesauto View Post
how old is the battery ?
Not sure, bought the car last year, its got a BMW battery with the indicator showing black which means its not fully charged. Ive been trickle charging it during the winter no problem though and starts right up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2020, 06:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 750i BMW; '03 Z4 BMW
Indicative of a weak or failing battery. Fully charge the battery (a trickle charger doesn't necessarily fully charge) and see if the problem continues, if so a new battery is in order. Trickle charging is good to maintain a healthy battery but not to revive a failing one,
Old 03-24-2020, 07:14 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory_tolson View Post
Has anyone had an issue where their clock keeps resorting back to --:-- on the gauge cluseter/radio when turning their car back on after it sits off for a while? Ive tried setting it while the car is running but itll always clear when i turn the car off for a while and turn it back on. Its just been an annoying problem.
Just like your VCR? I suspect that half of the VCR display clocks in the world are blinking.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 03-24-2020, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0SI
When I first got my car the clock memory was doing the same thing. I replaced fuse number 24; 5 amp; no problems since.
Old 03-24-2020, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppysZ4 View Post
When I first got my car the clock memory was doing the same thing. I replaced fuse number 24; 5 amp; no problems since.
I looked up the fuse #. Says its the instrument panel and steering angle sensor. Would i be having steering angle sensor issues? Was your fuse blown?
Old 03-25-2020, 05:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0SI
It was 4 years ago, so I'm going by my notes I wrote down; I replaced both fuses number 24 and number 9; I believe fuse 24 was blown and since I replaced #9 I'm guessing that was blown too. My OBD port wasn't working which had something to do with #9 fuse. I would check #24; you have nothing to lose.

Last edited by HoppysZ4; 03-26-2020 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0Si
perhaps check for loose connections at the battery terminals? Just enough wiggle to lose power for a moment could reset the clock.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 3.0i
I've had the same thing. These cars are Uber sensitive to voltage fluctuations. They eat batteries, especially if they are not driven routinely.
Old 04-19-2020, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppysZ4 View Post
It was 4 years ago, so I'm going by my notes I wrote down; I replaced both fuses number 24 and number 9; I believe fuse 24 was blown and since I replaced #9 I'm guessing that was blown too. My OBD port wasn't working which had something to do with #9 fuse. I would check #24; you have nothing to lose.
Just checked both fuses, none of them were blown; making me think the battery in car is the culprit.
Old 05-31-2020, 08:08 PM
Casual Fanatic

Mein Auto: 2007 530xi 6 speed manual
Had the problem on my car today. Started the car, reset the clock. Shut the car off and the problem returned. Then drove the car, reset the clock again and it was fine. Just one of the unexplained electrical gremlins I experience from time to time. Another one is the driver's window or sunroof refusing to open/close. Stop/start the car and it's okay again. The passenger seat belt warning chime is a third. I've just learned to live with them.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search