Vanos Failure: Engine Rebuild Advice Z4M - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Saab 9-3
Vanos Failure: Engine Rebuild Advice Z4M

Hi All -

Joining up here, seems like a great community. I've recently purchased a '07 Z4M that had what appears to be Vanos failure. I believe it was the exhaust hub failure as I read about it on DR Vanos website and the broken tab. When I removed the head there was some contact in cylinder 1 with the valve. I am taking the head to a local machinist to see if it can be repaired.

The question I have right now is, what do people use pistons/rod wise to rebuild these motors? is OE the best bet? No plans on making any crazy power, perhaps one day header & full exhaust with a tune, but don't see myself really ever going too crazy with mods. Going to drop the oil pan tonight and see how the bottom end looks.

Any good resources you all might have where I can do some reading on rebuilding these motors? Not coming in with a ton of BMW knowledge, so any help would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2017, 02:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: sloporsche
did you price a used engine ?
Old 08-14-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifesauto View Post
did you price a used engine ?
Have been looking for the past week & have seen only a few and prices were around $6-8k.

Just got back from taking the oil pan off. It was sludgy as heck, but rods & bearings looked really good actually. Having the head looked at tomorrow and if it can be rebuilt, I am considering doing pistons, rods, and bearings along with Vanos unit.

Any idea of good quality brands to check out for these parts? Unless these motors are easier to come by, I have only been looking for a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2020, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW Z4 M Roadster
what did you end up doing?

Older post, but just curious what you ended up doing with the engine.

Were you aware of the vanos issue when you bought it?
Old 04-02-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat14 View Post
Older post, but just curious what you ended up doing with the engine.

Were you aware of the vanos issue when you bought it?
No longer have the Z because of the cliche "I needed a down payment for my house ". Still have tabs on the owner, hopefully one day I'll get a chance at buying it back!

Was aware of the Vanos issue when I bought it. Previous owner had the issue and after he went to BMW to estimate repair, he decided to park it and sell. Ended up rebuilding the engine from the ground up.

For the vanos issue specifically, ended up going to Dr. Vanos and he rebuilt the unit for me. Great quality work if you ever need updating on your vanos system.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search