335i in driveway (and me in France!) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
335i in driveway (and me in France!)

After going back and forth and having a hard time deciding, I finally decided to go for it and just leased a 335i - and after 170 miles there's zero regret (and a serious smile on my face).

It took me a while trying to figure out what I was after - leasing doesn't make it any simpler as there is a whole planet of info. to digest there and get up to speed with (thank you Schley!). From the brain of an up-till-now-car-buyer getting past the idea that MSRP certainly isn't the only factor impacting cost is hard: there are some really counter-intuitive deals around with the 5-series promotions with leasing a 328 and a 525 very close in cost. But despite the reflex of wanting to get a more expensive car for similar money, I kept gravitating toward the 3 for my needs and tastes - mind you the 328i. Each to their own re the 3 and 5, and this thread isn't about that. They really are completely different cars. But on to the 335...

When I was trying to locate a 328i I wanted a few things (sport/nav/xenon, specific colors) that just weren't in inventory at the dealer I really wanted to go through. I was pretty set on trying to get one before a planned trip to France (I couldn't do ED this time, didn't have lead time to setup and need car in Jan when it would be shipping) and one thing that came up was a 335i that he did have in stock that fit the bill very nicely (monaco/beige, step, sport, prem, cold, nav, sat). Of course there was the engine but I also didn't mind the idea of getting the xenon standard and also the better sound and 18" wheels as part of the deal. That and the good money factor right now on the 335i and my mind was made up to go get it. The only problem was at this point I was leaving for my trip in 24hrs and the dealership was almost couple of hundred miles away...

I packed my bags up and got everything ready for my flight. Being ready to go I got a train up to the dealership early the next morning and was there a little after noon. My CA picked me up at the station and drove me back to the dealership. What a beautiful car! I had driven a few various 328i models and one 335i at some point before making my mind up on this one. I had also seen the monaco blue on a different BMW but not a 335 and not this interior. I really am thrilled with this combo and the wheels and dual pipes look great. When it was time to see my future ride in person - even after internet researching and lookng at enough photos and cars in lots that I thought I was going to get bored of them - it was love a first sight. We did all the paperwork and a walkthough on the car. Everything was smooth and at a non-rushed pace I ended up leaving around 2pm for the 170 mile drive back to LA.

The next two hours and change were great - what an amazing machine. I certainly am just getting started but my first impressions are all really off the charts. Considering I almost took the power of this car as an afterthought (I just always felt I didn't care too much) I just keep thinking about that engine. I'm typing this from France (it's 4 AM, I'm jet lagged and have the car on my brain) and I keep hearing that thing, feeling the awesome torque and that great transmission. The logic-7 was really nice when I wasn't listening to the car instead and it was all just a 70-80 mph blur with a smile. I had to be careful as just an errant thought and I'd look down and be going along at a rock steady and calm 90 mph clip - I came pretty close to a ticket at least once as I kept creeping up in speed without thinking about it. I haven't had this much fun driving in a long time and it was just a freeway cruise in the middle of the day. I even had a good time so far with the iDrive after getting the interface down. I was wondering about getting nav as I drive a lot of familiar roads but - (1) the RTTI got me some info at one point in town that I think helped me make good time and (2) in one area I know fairly well it helped me find a specific market just by name that I needed to stop at before leaving - I wasn't sure of exact location and was able to get it looked up just a few blocks away as almost an afterthought.

So after putting 170 on the odometer I had to put her in the driveway and it was time to get off to the airport. I've never dragged my feet so much when going on a holiday!

I'm pretty delerious after the flight and probably not making much sense - but I needed to post the news of the new ride and probably moreso to help me re-live my awsome little ride home. Now I'm going to try and get this damn car out of my head so I can handle this two week wait until I see it again (I'm sure the ED delivery people have no sympathies for my measly 14 days). It's time to enjoy the family and food here. Just please allow me to foget aboutthat nice surprise waiting at home.

Happy Holidays all and see you next year.

d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto:
Congrats on the new ride. I also started out with a 328 in mind, but after driving the 335, it was all over. It's awesome. Enjoy France, it's also awesome.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
Thanks marinhd - we spend each Christmas and New Year here where my wife's family is, in Paris, and I agree, it's pretty excellent. Have fun with the ED - if I had planned this a lot earlier I might be driving an ED 335i here right now. Wow, the idea of zipping around Europe with that car, pure bliss. There's always December 2009 I guess...

What kind of trip do you have planned for when you pickup your new BMW?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2006, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoss View Post
Thanks marinhd - we spend each Christmas and New Year here where my wife's family is, in Paris, and I agree, it's pretty excellent. Have fun with the ED - if I had planned this a lot earlier I might be driving an ED 335i here right now. Wow, the idea of zipping around Europe with that car, pure bliss. There's always December 2009 I guess...

What kind of trip do you have planned for when you pickup your new BMW?
I only have 5 days, so we're going to Salzburg, Vienna and back to Munich.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search