The official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 4132 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 530i M
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
Jake does a meet-up thing every Thursday night in Fairfax. I'm a recluse, although I can be found at the Great Falls C&C or Fair Lakes C&C every once in a while on weekend mornings.

Once we finally shake this last bit of cold off in the next few weeks I'll start going to the Fair Lakes C&C. My favorite time to go is early spring when it's ~40-50* in the morning. You still get an awesome turnout without the choking crowds you get in the middle of summer.
Fair Lakes has a C&C? Huh... I usually go to the Great Falls C&C.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 2003 Titansilber 530i M Sport - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter // 2000 Silver Audi B5 S4
My Previous Work:
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
My 98 M3 and 03 530i Restoration Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 09:25 AM
Insane in the membrane!

Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
Wow changing rod bearings every 1000 miles, damn that sounds fun.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:37 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Mein Auto: 97 M3 | 96 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
Thursday nights - "Bimmer Alliance" meet at Fairfax Corner (it's a group full of massive idiots, but I've made a few friends who have good heads on their shoulders, hence why I go back)

Saturdays - Great Falls C&C at Katie's - early morning

Sundays - Fair Lakes C&C at Kohl's - head over at 8 or so

Now:
11 Ford F-150 FX4 | 97 BMW M3 | 06 BMW M3 Convertible

Then:
87 BMW 325e | 91 BMW 535i | 96 BMW 328i | 95 BMW 325i |95 Mazda Miata | 13 Ford Focus ST | 09 BMW 128i | 00 Pontiac Firebird | 05 GMC Yukon Denali | 96 BMW 328iC
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Quote:
It's cheap cause the interior is trashed.
That said, a deep steam clean, hardcore leatherique treatment and one of those $250 wrap services on the steering wheel would work wonders.
Wheel re-wrap and deep clean should do it.

Quote:
How come us DMV guys haven't met yet, just to shoot the sh!t?
Oh boy- I hate when people call it the DMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
Joey and I live together (til May) - if you meet one, you meet the other most of the time. I'm always down for a post-work beer. Working in Rosslyn now so anywhere off the metro is easy.

Patrick, PM'd you with more details on the ZHP. Chris says it's pretty nice aside from the steering wheel/shift knob being thrashed.
Thanks again for the leg work on this. I owe you. I'll need to think about this a little bit, but I think there is no way they will come down to what I want.

Quote:
You'd be surprised, that dealer sells a lot of As-Is cars that won't pass inspection at wholesale prices to the general public. I've considered trying to flip a couple of them.
This. They have some complete trash on the lot at times. 3 years ago, they had a nice 530i sport for about $2,750- Catch was, it needed a clutch, had 201k miles- and something else wrong too, though could have been "saved" and DD'ed for a while. But I had just bought the 318iC the weekend before.
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
You'd be surprised, that dealer sells a lot of As-Is cars that won't pass inspection at wholesale prices to the general public. I've considered trying to flip a couple of them.
I'm surprised BMW let's them get away with that......

When we had our VW/Subaru dealership we had to report all our used car sales to them and they audited us periodically to make certain we were only dealing higher end used vehicles. I would expect BMW to be doing the same? Surprised if they're not.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Speed is Zen

Mein Auto: Bavarian Bombshell
Quote:
Its not as good as the Great Falls one, not worth driving from MD for. It's a younger crowd, more E36s, E46s, E39s, lots of modern American muscle, modern VWs and modern/retro Mercs and other Euro stuff.

I only go when I'm bored on Sunday mornings because its a mile from my house.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 AM
still learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I'm surprised BMW let's them get away with that......

When we had our VW/Subaru dealership we had to report all our used car sales to them and they audited us periodically to make certain we were only dealing higher end used vehicles. I would expect BMW to be doing the same? Surprised if they're not.
Don, check out this BMW dealer who wholesales to the public. I think it you attach the wholesale label, BMW doesn't care?
This is where I bought the 540i. They are willing to deal to avoid the auction block.

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
Don, check out this BMW dealer who wholesales to the public. I think it you attach the wholesale label, BMW doesn't care?
This is where I bought the 540i. They are willing to deal to avoid the auction block.
I should have been clearer earlier. I'm talking about when you are a franchised official BMW dealer and showing the official BMW dealer logo and signage. BMW has no control over used car dealers who aren't franchisees. In theory you could own a BMW dealership and own a private used car dealership so long as you kept the two separate. Your franchised dealership could "wholesale" used cars you didn't want to put on the franchise lot to the non-franchised lot.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:55 AM
still learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I should have been clearer earlier. I'm talking about when you are a franchised official BMW dealer and showing the official BMW dealer logo and signage. BMW has no control over used car dealers who aren't franchisees. In theory you could own a BMW dealership and own a private used car dealership so long as you kept the two separate. Your franchised dealership could "wholesale" used cars you didn't want to put on the franchise lot to the non-franchised lot.
No you were clear- however when I look at their site and really think about the business model, it is not BMW that is selling the "junky used cars." So, I gave a bad example.

However, that fairfax dealer- that is the dealer. There is no sneaky other side doing the selling.

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
grrrrrrr e36

ccv is cracked and being replaced... car is backfiring and not holding an idle at all....

was learned to me that the flap for the DSC was removed on my car.

there is alot of humidity in the CCV and the tubes all going to it and leading up to it. the oil/humidity caused yellow gunk all in there and im guessing that is what caused the crack in the first place to happen.

I really hate how these cars were designed in this particular area. only 3 cuts and lots of grease so far.

YAY ME.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
No you were clear- however when I look at their site and really think about the business model, it is not BMW that is selling the "junky used cars." So, I gave a bad example.

However, that fairfax dealer- that is the dealer. There is no sneaky other side doing the selling.
This is what elicited my original comment. It's typically rare to see a used car with much more than 60K or so miles on a franchised dealer lot.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eight Thirty View Post

there is alot of humidity in the CCV and the tubes all going to it and leading up to it. the oil/humidity caused yellow gunk all in there and im guessing that is what caused the crack in the first place to happen.

I really hate how these cars were designed in this particular area. only 3 cuts and lots of grease so far.

YAY ME.
If you get enough water collected in the oil separator and it freezes it can definitely cause some cracking.

Last edited by dc_wright; 02-20-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Just hung up with RRT. Mike knew I had replaced my RTABs in late October after experiencing Dynamic Rear Toe at VIR. He calls and goes "so... after you did the RTABs, did you notice the brakes felt funny?"

"Well, the whole car felt funny... the suspension was all wrong and some bushings were still old and... yeah, why?"

"You pinched a hard line when you did the RTABs, we couldn't get any fluid out of the one caliper, and my tech put a shiny new chunk of hard line on the car for you. You're welcome!"

Clearly I need to be more careful when choosing creative points to place a breaker bar for more leverage.

Now:

Then:
87 BMW 325e | 91 BMW 535i | 96 BMW 328i | 95 BMW 325i |95 Mazda Miata | 13 Ford Focus ST | 09 BMW 128i | 00 Pontiac Firebird | 05 GMC Yukon Denali | 96 BMW 328iC
Old 02-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Needs Boost

Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
LOL--

Did you know that pig is saying it because that what is sounds like in the music beat in the background. "boots-pants-boots-pants-boots-pants"

So, I find myself wanting a pickup truck. Like a 4 door Tacoma. Would be very useful for me. I'm also growing VERY tired of the auto E39. I want my clutch back. It was a nice vacation, but.... Jen- selling snowy yet?
That's funny, I was tired of my E39 after about 2 months, and it's even a stick!

Old 02-20-2014, 02:07 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
grrrrrrr e36

ccv is cracked and being replaced... car is backfiring and not holding an idle at all....

was learned to me that the flap for the DSC was removed on my car.

YAY ME.
DAYUMN, what is that like a 7-8 hour job?
Old 02-20-2014, 02:15 PM
Jesse Moon Bayne

Mein Auto: e36, e46 & e70
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
Pretty much, had it replaced on my wifes x5.
Also how much for the e30 hood bra shipped?

Jesse
"Cassie"///Mpowered 93 318is 5speed (S/C'd 95 m3 swap)
2007 X5 3.0si (Wifes)
2007 328i DD
Old 02-20-2014, 02:26 PM
Insane in the membrane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Pretty much, had it replaced on my wifes x5.
Also how much for the e30 hood bra shipped?
Check the original thread I posted it in.
Old 02-20-2014, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwonda View Post
It's not quite that bad. About 3-4 hrs taking your time. Just a lot of stuff to unbolt and move to get a clear working space. It's about the same as pulling the ICV to clean or replace. They're next door neighbors there under the intake mani.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:46 PM
Speed is Zen

Tires sold! My friend with the STi finally gave in to my aggressive sales tactics. Glad to have that mess behind me. I shall never order tires again without calculating the exact width and diameter first.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:13 PM
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
I really hate how these cars were designed in this particular area.
Not so sure I'd blame the car's design, unless you're referring to the actual task of replacing it. It's a maintenance item, so they need to be replaced periodically.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 02-20-2014, 10:07 PM
Hellawut??

Mein Auto: who knows?
be honest this was a 30 minute job. wasnt too bad... just cramped quarters for my hands. could do it again in >20 minutes. the 3 bolts to take the CCV off are all locatable with a 10MM socket and a 3" extension. I didnt have any issues at all with doing it this way exceot putting the vaccum hoses back up into the new CCV was a pain. Was able to do this without removing the intake manifold. I made some space by taking off the DSC moduale to get move space. and then moved the intake box/maf/intake/off to reach underneath and hook them all up.

my ccv was gunked up along with most of the tubes around it. I had moisture on the oil cap but not in the oil. nor any signs of the cooling system leaking/draining.

new overflow tank cap will help that system too. YAY. I had an issues putting the old one on with it being very hard to tighten and loosen. I bought the new one as a security that if wheni do ever get stranded that i have a cap that i wont have to fight with.

I had a problem with flickering headlights too... i didnt directly correlate this problem with the CCV initially but the CCV replacement has caused my idle flickering to go away for now.. or maybe thats just what im telling myself i also found some things interesting that i will want help identifying. I replaced a wire in my headlights and that REALLY helped that light to flicker less and start up just sd much as the right one. I want to defintaly rewire the whole system again with new wires and black wires to hide more. they are all over the place now. I also want my city llights to be on its own switch in the car. And the highbeam fogs to be hooked up also. they already have a switch for the lowbeams (highs just arent wired up)

Also how can i wire in a capacitor to make my headlights 1)not throw the low beam failure and 2) not flicker and slowly turn on but instead power up fast and quick.

switching to lowbeams from high beams causes me to loose headlight projection for a second or two.

Oh yeah.... and i need a microswitch for my drivers side door. to fix the window issue once and for all.

subwoofer system ported and dynamatted in the trunk for sound quality improvement. and rebolted to the roof of my trunk. (i like the clean look but the sound is still great)

still on the list includes seat mounts (correct ones), kidney grill, fix the AC, door panels vibration fixed, front rotors replaced, seats fixed (recline on the passanger side and knobs on both) Ipod hookup in glovebox, not rusty coupe hood, headliner redone, drivers door lock doesnt work at all... key wont turn and i wonder why. and fluid flush everywhere.

then it will be "ready" for the summer spring months.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:02 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Drove the 228i and M235i last night.

Both were Alpine White over black leather (with orange stitching) which looked sharp. I would pick a different color combo though, just because I have a thing for Valencia Orange and Estoril Blue. I do think the 2-series looks sharper than my 1. Drove them both in Sport+ with DSC Off.

I took the 228i out first. First impression: it's quick. 240 hp mated to the ZF 8-speed automatic will let it boogie. This one had the Sport package and the steering wheel was too thin for my liking. My 128i has a better wheel. It also did not have navigation, so it had a 6.5" iDrive screen shoved into an 8" bezel. It looks chintzy and the graphics are very low-resolution compared to the full NBT iDrive system in the 2012+ cars with nav.

The M235i, by comparison, is a power monster. Also had the ZF 8-speed but mated to 320 hp. Deeper, bassier exhaust note. Noticeably quicker. The M-Sport interior was far nicer than the "plebian" Sport interior on the 228. I'm not sure if you can get nicer stuff in the 228.

The transmission on both cars was tuned very well. Shifts in Sport+ were snappy and it almost felt like a dual-clutch. I'm kind of disappointed that the 235 doesn't get the DCT, but the ZF box is so good that perhaps it doesn't matter. Both models are available with a proper 3-pedal, they just didn't have any on the lot yet. I would definitely get a manual, but the ZF is perhaps the best automatic I've ever driven. I hate automatics but this one is pretty good.

Electric power steering is a big departure from the 1-series, which is hydraulic. The EPS had good feel on both cars. I think the M235 was tuned to be a bit heavier. I did catch it off-guard - did a 0-65 run from a stoplight in the 235, and around 50 or so, I felt the steering engage Hulk mode and get very firm. Again, the feel was good, but I didn't like how on/off the weight transition felt. Overall, it was like my Focus ST - good feel, very light at low speeds, firm and controlled higher up.

Unfortunately, I didn't get much chance to push the cars and explore handling characteristics beyond a few on-ramps. I drove the cars at 6 PM in Northern VA rush hour - can't expect much better. That said, I think they both prove that BMW hasn't entirely lost its mojo. I definitely liked the car more than the 3/4 series (I've driven a new 328 and 335) and it would make a great upgrade from my 128 if I ever cared to go that route. I really don't know which model I would prefer. They're both very good. Ask me questions and I can try to answer them, if I didn't write enough already, haha.

Now:

Then:

Last edited by Brake_L8; 02-21-2014 at 06:32 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 07:10 AM
Insane in the membrane!

I really love what BMW is doing with their front ends.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:22 AM
still learnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
That's funny, I was tired of my E39 after about 2 months, and it's even a stick!
I'm not really tired of it, just bored. I could toss the E36 around corners and push hard coming out of turns. The E39 is a little too heavy to do that with. It has more power than the E36, but it is just too heavy... It needs a proper suspension set-up, and non winter tires. I'm not really willing to put any money into this car beyond maintenance items.
However, I LOVE this car on the highway. Cruising at 65 (LOL, right...) is easy! Even with a fully loaded car, of 4 adults, plus a trunk of items, it goes.
My dad has expressed HUGE amounts of interest in taking over the ownership of this car once the correct replacement is found.

Awesome Jake! Nice testing!

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 02-21-2014, 08:33 AM
Speed is Zen

Quote:
I'm not really tired of it, just bored. I could toss the E36 around corners and push hard coming out of turns. The E39 is a little too heavy to do that with. It has more power than the E36, but it is just too heavy... It needs a proper suspension set-up, and non winter tires. I'm not really willing to put any money into this car beyond maintenance items.
However, I LOVE this car on the highway. Cruising at 65 (LOL, right...) is easy! Even with a fully loaded car, of 4 adults, plus a trunk of items, it goes.
My dad has expressed HUGE amounts of interest in taking over the ownership of this car once the correct replacement is found.

Awesome Jake! Nice testing!
The steering box is what really dampened my love for our 540i. It was a great car, gorgeous, especially in the color combo we had, but a sports car it was not. With just how dead that old steering box was, it took an incredible amount of input to shuffle it around a corner. I think the kind of performance driving it was best suited to was mashing your foot around a right hand corner and doing a power slide. That's about it.

It looked great, had an old-school-cool factor and sounded fantastic, but eventually the gas mileage, reliability issues and age signed it's death warrant. It was a fun car and I'm glad we owned it, but I really like our Kia. It does everything better than the BMW except it doesn't sound as cool and you don't feel the torque as much.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:19 AM
Old Soul

Mein Auto: '96 328is
M235i is at the end of my 5-year plan.

Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
-*nga*-, 12-6 cloud: yes or no?, :3, because racemower!!, chads looking for a new audi, no tag integrity pls, pls stop erasing da damn tags, what's integrity?, whats audi?, you guys crack me up...

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search