The NEW official E36 OT Thread!! - Page 18 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #426  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is offline
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,931
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
I disagree on the auto as well. You can always use a higher gear to start to avoid spinning the tires, compared to autos that usually max out at 2nd.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
__________________
// Chad //
// 2006 BMW 330i Sport 6MT // 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid //
// 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 1994 Range Rover Classic //
// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #427  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:39 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is offline
some kid
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,495
Mein Auto: whiny 318
Solution: Get good snow tires, with an LSD or locking diff. Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
__________________
-CJ

  #428  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM
dwonda's Avatar
dwonda dwonda is offline
Insane in the membrane!
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,539
Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
That doesn't make sense from a physics point of view. Tires are the only thing connecting your car to the road, and we are not talking about tires, therefor grip is the same. But with that said I don't mean to argue or get on your bad side, and I apologize for taking this further than it needed to go. You know what works better for you, and I know what works better for me.
__________________
............_____\_(+)_/_____
Andrew /|O| [||||][||||] |O|\

1996 328iS OEM Frankenstein
  #429  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:41 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,097
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
I disagree on the auto as well. You can always use a higher gear to start to avoid spinning the tires, compared to autos that usually max out at 2nd.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__

Higher gears don't make a difference most of the time. If you're in snow and have zero grip, the tires will spin whether it's in 1st gear or 5th gear.

Take this from a guy who actually drives in the snow.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


  #430  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:50 PM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,590
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
solution: Get good snow tires, with an lsd or locking diff. Drop the clutch, proceed and ain't care.
qft
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '14 GMC Sierra SLE Z71
  #431  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:52 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,097
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Or you could drive a RWD manual 540 with summer tires and no LSD. Thing is literally the worst vehicle for the snow lol.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


  #432  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:53 PM
E36 Phantom's Avatar
E36 Phantom E36 Phantom is offline
I Am The Machine
Location: Somewhere Between The Valley & The Bay
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,931
Mein Auto: Dreier, Fünfer & Siebener
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Higher gears don't make a difference most of the time. If you're in snow and have zero grip, the tires will spin whether it's in 1st gear or 5th gear.

Take this from a guy who actually drives in the snow.
No need to get aggressive. Not living in the snow doesn't mean I don't drive in the snow. If auto works for you that's fine, but my experiences mirror dwondas. Making a blanket statement that auto is always easier in low traction situations just doesn't make sense.

Edit, just saw the summer tires post. There's your problem.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
__________________
// Chad //
// 2006 BMW 330i Sport 6MT // 2006 Toyota Highlander Hybrid //
// 1997 Range Rover 4.0 // 1994 Range Rover Classic //
// 1997 Land Rover Discovery // 1998 Land Rover Discovery //
// 2009 Kawasaki Concours 14 // 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250 //
// 1999 Chevy Tahoe //
Ok...this is getting ridiculous. Someone come buy a few of these things.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimKlim View Post
You're a derbanana

Last edited by E36 Phantom; 03-03-2014 at 04:02 PM.
  #433  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Kdoherty's Avatar
Kdoherty Kdoherty is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: The cradle of Liberty
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,590
Mein Auto: A redhead E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
Or you could drive a RWD manual 540 with summer tires and no LSD. Thing is literally the worst vehicle for the snow lol.
Hence why my E36 is buried and the E90 is the DD
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
^He's been drinking beer and destroying pumpkins with brake rotors and sledge hammers.

So, pretty much just doing man stuff.
  • '14 GMC Sierra SLE Z71
  #434  
Old 03-03-2014, 03:57 PM
dwonda's Avatar
dwonda dwonda is offline
Insane in the membrane!
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,539
Mein Auto: 1996 328iS
No such thing as zero grip. Sorry I know I'm an ass.
__________________
............_____\_(+)_/_____
Andrew /|O| [||||][||||] |O|\

1996 328iS OEM Frankenstein
  #435  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:07 PM
Shigeta's Avatar
Shigeta Shigeta is offline
Old Soul
Location: Hayward, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 2,946
Mein Auto: '96 328is
Been stupid busy lately. From a recent photoshoot:


E46 M3 CSL Stateside by Meritus Photography, on Flickr
__________________


  #436  
Old 03-03-2014, 04:10 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,097
Mein Auto: Red Sled
I'm not being aggressive. I have simply driven cars with a manual in the snow, then 5 minutes later the same car with an auto and it's a noticeable difference.

Most people haven't had that comparison that's all.

Stating that on such and such day in such and such snow in such and such car I drove just fine isn't very factual. Ya know?





Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Turbo Build Here


  #437  
Old 03-03-2014, 05:05 PM
hornhospital's Avatar
hornhospital hornhospital is offline
D'oh, You Kids!
Location: In the Grumpy Chair
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,402
Mein Auto: E24x2,E36x3,E30x2, F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by B1MM3R View Post
Ken!!!!
Is adjusting the valves and easy job to do also?
df and that video covered it, but I have a suggestion: put the feeler gauge between the cam and rocker, instead of the rocker and valve stem tip. You have to drop the gap a tiny bit (0.009" instead of 0.010") due to the uneven length of the rockers. The valve stem tips get mushroomed and the eccentric adjusters get grooved, making and accurate adjustment difficult. Unless the cam face is pretty worn it will be easier to get an accurate adjustment using that end of the rocker.

Super easy job. Rolling the engine over is the hardest part.
__________________
Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, Bimmerfest Site Moderator
Amateur Extra ham radio operator KO4AXN, see you on 40 meters!

BMW-CCA #441426
1993 325is M3 clone"Ashlyn"; 1993 325is "Elvira"; 1985 635CSi "Katja"; 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"; 1987 325is "Odette";1995 318is"Bebe "; 1985 325e "Hazel Ann"
  #438  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
drivinfaster's Avatar
drivinfaster drivinfaster is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: in the sticks you piney
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,379
Mein Auto: rescued bmw's
to roll the engine over i would suggest using a test light between pins 11 & 14.

connect to 1 pin with the clip, and then tap the other pin with the point of the test light. it hould put power to the starter only. just a touch, though. you aren't trying to crank the engine over.

iirc this will work with the key off, sonodraining of the battery....




df
__________________
  #439  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:42 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,650
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I'm not being aggressive. I have simply driven cars with a manual in the snow, then 5 minutes later the same car with an auto and it's a noticeable difference.

Most people haven't had that comparison that's all.

Stating that on such and such day in such and such snow in such and such car I drove just fine isn't very factual. Ya know?





Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Let's move to a different setting. I've pulled many manual tranny 4WD trucks AND their attached boats up slippery boat ramps with my 2WD auto tranny truck. They couldn't modulate the clutch well enough to keep from spinning the tires (both ends of the truck) and sliding backwards where the torque converter in the auto tranny gave me much more control.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
  #440  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
jonesin's Avatar
jonesin jonesin is offline
The Canadian Prick.
Location: Fort McMurray AB
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 12,984
Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
That's a good point Don. My way of looking at it isn't initial grip, but where I like the manny tranny is in downshifting opposed to most braking, and in having the gear I want selected opposed to having it change gears on me during say a curve, or on a hill.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I grew up in a time when the internet was just a baby. Grammar back then versus now... holy cow. You could watch the degradation of society as the internet became more mature.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
  #441  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM
bimmer claus's Avatar
bimmer claus bimmer claus is offline
Santa
Location: Buffalo,NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,096
Mein Auto: 95 M3
A real CSL? :O That's flippin sweet James.

Facts about auto's stated in this thread is untruthithfull. Even the e36 has a nifty m/a button to help an auto start in a higher gear to reduce wheel spin. I've driven both in the winter as well I agree with Matt 100%. Even my Camry has a feature to upshift or downshift with a button ( no it's not failtronic). Driving auto in the winter is easier period. No worries about wheel spin unless you're hooning the throttle, can use features to upshift/downshift as needed. Gear shifts aren't aggressive enough to break traction, no worries about starting on a hill ( this is the worst in a manual.)

For what it's worth I probably drive through more snow then pretty much anyone here.
__________________
Lots of junk.

Last edited by bimmer claus; 03-03-2014 at 06:52 PM.
  #442  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,650
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
That's a good point Don. My way of looking at it isn't initial grip, but where I like the manny tranny is in downshifting opposed to most braking, and in having the gear I want selected opposed to having it change gears on me during say a curve, or on a hill.
Absolutely agree with you there Ed! What about a Tacoma Quad cab? Then you'd have an actual truck chassis to handle the rugged roads instead of a souped up car body on bigger springs (SUV). You could get a topper and have lots of cargo room too.
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
  #443  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
cj.surr's Avatar
cj.surr cj.surr is offline
some kid
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 10,495
Mein Auto: whiny 318
I think the real fact of the matter is that auto vs manual will not make a significant difference in anyone's driving ability with the proper snow tires and drivetrain. It's just a preference thing.

I definitely like an auto better in a truck. Way easier to start on hills or pull a car out when you don't have to modulate the clutch.
__________________
-CJ

  #444  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:56 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,097
Mein Auto: Red Sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
Let's move to a different setting. I've pulled many manual tranny 4WD trucks AND their attached boats up slippery boat ramps with my 2WD auto tranny truck. They couldn't modulate the clutch well enough to keep from spinning the tires (both ends of the truck) and sliding backwards where the torque converter in the auto tranny gave me much more control.
Yea autos are better offroad for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer claus View Post
A real CSL? :O That's flippin sweet James.

Facts about auto's stated in this thread is untruthithfull. Even the e36 has a nifty m/a button to help an auto start in a higher gear to reduce wheel spin. I've driven both in the winter as well I agree with Matt 100%. Even my Camry has a feature to upshift or downshift with a button ( no it's not failtronic). Driving auto in the winter is easier period. No worries about wheel spin unless you're hooning the throttle, can use features to upshift/downshift as needed. Gear shifts aren't aggressive enough to break traction, no worries about starting on a hill ( this is the worst in a manual.)

For what it's worth I probably drive through more snow then pretty much anyone here.
Yea. Another way to think of it is:

Your car is on jack stands with the wheels in the air. Can you modulate the clutch and slip it? And it's the same for 1st through 5 or 6 gears,kinda like when you have no traction in the snow.

My .02
__________________
Turbo Build Here


  #445  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,097
Mein Auto: Red Sled
To clarify I still prefer a stick, just because it's soo much fun in the snow.
__________________
Turbo Build Here


  #446  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
dc_wright's Avatar
dc_wright dc_wright is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Orlando, Florida
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,650
Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
Been stupid busy lately. From a recent photoshoot:


E46 M3 CSL Stateside by Meritus Photography, on Flickr
Suuuwwwweeeeettttt!
__________________
2006 Z4 3.0si Sport Package (But I'll still hang with my "homies" in the E36 forum)
  #447  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
ZeGerman's Avatar
ZeGerman ZeGerman is offline
BMWCCA HPDE Instructor
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 23,414
Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
The XV Crosstrek starts at $28699 cash price here. (With a 60 mos term of $440/month w/ 15% down).
The Legacy wagon is down to a 2.0 (base model), and is just too bland for my tastes. (I spent a bunch of time in a buddies '06 2.5 RS similar to yours IIRC, and it was so numb to drive, mind you, his is autotragic).
Holy toledo, your prices are crazy up there. I totally agree that the older Subarus like mine are a complete snooze fest, though. At least in 2.5 auto trim, anyway. That said, I do get an odd sense of pleasure driving in the snow in a car that I know will probably never break down. That's the thing about Subarus - they're kinda like Porsche in that they're so evolutionary that they've become quite reliable. They have stuck to what they know how to do for decades, and it has paid off. You'll never have an AWD failure, ever. But yeah, it would be pretty hard to pony up nearly $29k for an XV Crosstrek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shigeta View Post
Been stupid busy lately. From a recent photoshoot:
'Sup James! Glad to see you're still producing awesome photography! How are things?
__________________

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
  #448  
Old 03-03-2014, 06:59 PM
bimmer claus's Avatar
bimmer claus bimmer claus is offline
Santa
Location: Buffalo,NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,096
Mein Auto: 95 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
I think the real fact of the matter is that auto vs manual will not make a significant difference in anyone's driving ability with the proper snow tires and drivetrain. It's just a preference thing.

I definitely like an auto better in a truck. Way easier to start on hills or pull a car out when you don't have to modulate the clutch.
This / End argument. Well put sir. If you have legitimate tires that's all you need.
__________________
Lots of junk.
  #449  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:09 PM
miles_trail's Avatar
miles_trail miles_trail is offline
I like pie.
Location: Lexington, VA, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,708
Mein Auto: 01 325xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj.surr View Post
I think the real fact of the matter is that auto vs manual will not make a significant difference in anyone's driving ability with the proper snow tires and drivetrain. It's just a preference thing.

I definitely like an auto better in a truck. Way easier to start on hills or pull a car out when you don't have to modulate the clutch.
I've pulled three vehicles out of ditches with my 325, twice on gravel and once in the wet, clutch wasn't ever a problem. In the truck... Well, let's just say the list of things that can keep that thing from moving is very, very short.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
How do you outcrazy a dude that lifts his engines without a hoist?

  #450  
Old 03-03-2014, 07:30 PM
FenderBender's Avatar
FenderBender FenderBender is offline
Needs Boost
Location: Hicktown, PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 12,097
Mein Auto: Red Sled
I was sad to hear your safe adventure was a dud

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
__________________
Turbo Build Here


Closed Thread

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
rip e36 ot, sir chadley broke bimmerfest


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.