Cheap Wind I shield - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation BMW 3 Series Sedan F30/F31/F34 and the first first generation 4 Series Coupe F32/F33/F36. Get the latest 3 and 4 series pricing from our ordering and pricing guide sticky thread.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
Cheap Wind I shield

Hello all, I have a 2014 BMW 428i which I have owned for roughly 20 months. The car has been great but the wind shield is made of crap. I have 28,000 on the odometer and I have already replaced one wind shield. This morning I woke up to another massive crack which I believe started with a small divot on my passenger side that I do not recall being hit while driving. I've owned over 20 cars in my life and have only ever replaced one wind shield which was on an 89 Honda Civic, come to think of it I may have purchased the car with the crack already in it.

I'm not sure what to do here, my car has the HUD but not sure if that means the wind shield is of thinner quality? Any help would be appreciated, the cost to replace a windshield with HUD is roughly $1,100.

Thank you,

Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2016, 10:57 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
One thing about windshields these days, they frequently give additional structural support to the car and therefore have more stress on them.

Does your insurance not provide any glass coverage? If not you should add it.

Present - '06 E90 330i sport; Past - '04 E46 ZHP, '00 E46 328i
www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-11-2016 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 320i/F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
One thing about windshields these days, they frequently give additional structural support to the car and therefore have more stress on them.

Does your insurance not provide any glass coverage? If not you should add it.
I found that a $500 deductible comprehensive (fire, vandalism, glass, theft, almost anything except collision) is not much of a savings compared to a $50 deductible. It is something like $60 per year. With glass breakage so common, consider not getting a high deductible. If you keep the car 10 years, you may still save money if you have to replace your windshield 0.6 times. Whatever you do, if you have a short crack in Vancouver, immediately head to Blaine, WA to repair it because nobody in Canada (or at least the Vancouver area) will fix cracks. All cracks result in a replaced windshield. They tell me that this wasn't the case several years ago.

Last edited by Dave 20T; 04-11-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2016, 07:51 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 Glacier Silver 328i
Windshields crack from impacting something hard. Not because they are too thin, soft, brittle, made of crap or any of the other nonsense reasons one reads about. Comprehensive coverage in your auto insurance policy should cover replacement less a deductible.

Last edited by John MS; 04-12-2016 at 07:55 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328D
I just replaced my windshield. HUD and rain sensor. $1422 at the dealer. $50 deductible. I had to fight the dealer to get the price down and the insurance company to get the payout up.
Old 04-12-2016, 09:16 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
We use Geico and they have a $0 deductible for minor cracks and chips through safelite. Haven't had to use it yet on my car, but got two cracks each about a 1/2 inch sealed for free on my wife's car.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 04-13-2016, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 28I X-line
2014 428IX

I had a tiny prism like damage that was directly in my line of site. Replaced through Geico at $0 cost with original BMW windshield, done at Safelite in NJ, perfect job by Safelite.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: '17 F36 440xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggernaut View Post
I just replaced my windshield. HUD and rain sensor. $1422 at the dealer. $50 deductible. I had to fight the dealer to get the price down and the insurance company to get the payout up.
I can understand the rain sensor being replaced, but why was the HUD replaced? No part of the HUD exists in contact with the windshield at all - all it is is a very bright screen just behind your steering wheel that reflects onto your windshield.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 328Xi Sportwagon
I don't have HUD, I had mine replaced last week at a local glass shop. He sourced an OE windshield from the dealer, I paid $481 including tax. Mine cracked dead center in front of the driver, started at the top edge, went almost straight down about 5 inches then turned left. I could see a small chip near the top which I guess is what started it. A week after the crack a cardboard box flew up in the from a car in front of me, no room to maneuver out of the way, it struck the passenger side leaving scores that looked like someone took course sandpaper to it. The crack did reveal how thin that glass really is.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor
I am in the Denver area and never had to replace a windshield prior to moving here 25 years ago. I have now replaced about 8 on various vehicles but fortunately not the BMWs yet.

Most cracks start out as chips that could be repaired if caught early enough.

I carry a zero glass deductible because with higher end cars one replacement windshield is worth about 5 years difference in premiums and I've never gone five years without replacing one.

Glass is not crap there are just a lot of rocks on the road here.
Old 04-13-2016, 06:21 PM
my car speaks german

Mein Auto: 2012 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versipellis View Post
I can understand the rain sensor being replaced, but why was the HUD replaced? No part of the HUD exists in contact with the windshield at all - all it is is a very bright screen just behind your steering wheel that reflects onto your windshield.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the windshield on a car with HUD different than one without it? I think it has something to do with polarization due to the reflection of the HUD info onto the windshield. I don't remember where I saw this, and I'm being lazy and did not google it either...
Old 04-13-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the windshield on a car with HUD different than one without it? I think it has something to do with polarization due to the reflection of the HUD info onto the windshield. I don't remember where I saw this, and I'm being lazy and did not google it either...
Yes, if you use the non-HUD windshield on a vehicle with HUD, you'll likely see a double image (ghosting) of the HUD due to internal reflections within the glass itself. Need to stick with OEM HUD glass if you need a full windshield replacement.

2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 04-14-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macadamia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
Yes, if you use the non-HUD windshield on a vehicle with HUD, you'll likely see a double image (ghosting) of the HUD due to internal reflections within the glass itself. Need to stick with OEM HUD glass if you need a full windshield replacement.
Yes, the windshield needs to be replaced by an OEM windshield, I don't dispute that. I'm just trying to understand why the HUD system needs to be replaced.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:04 AM

Mein Auto: 328D
The HUD system doesn't need to be replaced. It just reflects in the WS. The rain sensor usually must be replaced, $450+, because it is epoxied to the WS and cannot be saved. There are three moldings, as has been stated before, that must be replaced.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Yes, the windshield needs to be replaced by an OEM windshield, I don't dispute that. I'm just trying to understand why the HUD system needs to be replaced.
The HUD is in the dash with a polarizing lens covering it, it will remain untouched. You just need to buy the OEM windshield with the part number that is for cars with a HUD (option code S610A) and a rain sensor (option code S521A - which I believe is pretty much standard on most US spec BMWs).

2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 04-15-2016, 07:55 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:

Has it occurred to anyone that he simply misspoke or miscommunicated information given to him when his windshield was replaced?

Nobody gets the HUD replaced just because the windshield gets replaced, and if they did the total cost would be a lot more than $1450.
Old 04-15-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Has it occurred to anyone that he simply misspoke or miscommunicated information given to him when his windshield was replaced?
I actually never thought about that... My bad!
Old 04-15-2016, 10:57 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
I actually never thought about that... My bad!
Well, a lot of people aren't very technical minded. Being told you need a special "HUD" windshield could easily be turned into "they replaced my HUD!" by someone who doesn't really understand or just mis-typed.

And that turns into like 15 posts about why you would need your HUD replaced.

Of course his HUD wasn't replaced. Stop making my blood pressure go up reading this crap.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search