$1,000 laptop? Hit me. - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 07-27-2018, 08:46 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Mein Auto: 2K Z3 2.8
$1,000 laptop? Hit me.

I use my laptop for email, web browsing, photo sorting and storage and the occasional spreadsheet and word doc.

For that reason, I went "cheap". I thought I was a "low impact user" and I bought a cheap laptop.

Horrible decision. This f##$er is so slow and dreadful and unresponsive ... I'm done with it.

I'm cashing in credit card points for BestBuy gift certs and going to get a $1,000 (or in that neighborhood) laptop.

I don't hate any brands, but this must be a PC. I bought a MAC once and did not dig it.

The bigger screen the better, but doesn't have to be "yuge".

Last edited by Coconutpete; 07-27-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 10:50 AM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
I've been doing fairly well at Costco with $500 laptops with an i5 chip. I liked my previous Acer a bit better than my current HP. The Acer a workhouse, performed well for about 4 or 5 years.

Last edited by cmac2012; 07-28-2018 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Psychology Reversalist

Mein Auto: 528
It looks like they are all crap today. I went through 3 laptops, 3 different brands, about a year ago trying to find one that just works. Something happened to the manufacturing of laptops, they just don't work flawlessly. I suspect that desktops are the same.

Last edited by MatWiz; 07-27-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2018, 11:24 AM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Most suggest getting 8gb ram today's surfing experience.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-27-2018 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-27-2018, 11:27 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i Xdrive M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Most suggest getting 8gb ram today's surfing experience.
Lol so inaccurate. 8gigs of ram is literally enough to run any video game on ULTRA settings, provided what video card etc the pc has. For typical web use 4gb would be way more than enough.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Bimmerfest mobile app
Old 07-27-2018, 02:14 PM
The King of Common Sense

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigology View Post
Lol so inaccurate. 8gigs of ram is literally enough to run any video game on ULTRA settings, provided what video card etc the pc has. For typical web use 4gb would be way more than enough.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Bimmerfest mobile app
OK, My laptop has only 4GB and i5 but 2011 generation. And, I never played a game on a laptop, ever.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, thereís a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 07-27-2018 at 02:17 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:18 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
In order: Proc, RAM, and screen size/ GPU.

Get an i5 at least. I wouldn't run 4GB of RAM on anything. That's beyond whether or not 4GB is 'enough.' Today's 4GB notebook is going to be outfitted as a budget-friendly/lower scale including CPU and graphics. In fact, a quick look on BestBuy's site shows more notebook choices with 8GB than with 4GB:
Keeping in mind that you're in the $1k range, and looking for a *notebook* (not a PC), most of your choices in range will have at least 8GB RAM. With notebooks, you won't get into the higher-end gaming boxes with discrete video until you're above both your needs and your price range. Keeping *that* in mind is the reason that most folks will recommend 8GB if they've actually listened to your needs. Like good ole Dave, they may not know it is because part of the 8GB might even be used by the on-board graphics on this level of notebook. But it's still a sound recommendation even if the 'why' didn't come along with it.

In my opinion, brands are brands and Windows is Windows. The one problem with Best Buy as a shopping choice is that they carry the crap-tastic consumer grade stuff from HP, Lenovo, and everybody else. If you can find an enterprise class box- like Dell's Latitude line or HP's anything-but-Pavillion lines, I would concentrate there. Home user brands are usually loaded with sh!tware like virus protection you wouldn't choose, ridiculous multi-media bloatware, and an app that senses when your coffee maker is ready or where the nearest Starbucks is.

Available at Best Buy is Microsoft's Surface Pro line. It is the same enterprise-class that they offer for business. I like this because like other enterprise class machines it should enjoy updates for awhile. I would hesitate to expect any difference or 'better' support from Microsoft with a Surface and Windows 10 than with anything else.

I think Microsoft just came out with a low-end Surface. I haven't looked at the specs. I think you could probably look into the mid-level Surface Pro i5 variants if the 1/2 tablet/notebook format intrigues you. I do like the little kick stand on a Surface as well. Others may have something like it, but the Surface does it well.

And that's pretty much it. Look at CPU, screen size and the hardware features.

CPU:
No i3 processors, and nothing below 2.0 Ghz or so. I don't like AMD processors, but this can be a religious war as I was converted from the upstart AMD back in the x86 days. The 1st box I built was an AMD. But I haven't looked that way since before the '96 Olympics. Current i5's and i7's are 8th gen. 7th Gens abound and are likely still more than adequate for your needs.

GPU, Screen Size/Resolution:
Be wary of the branding and variants behind HD. Like "I love you" there's a kazillion ways to say 'HD.' Look for 1920x1080 at least. This should pre-sort you from the lower end i3 variants, but do be sure to look for 'Full HD' rather than 'HD+', 'HD,' and 'Lowes.' Most Intel i5's are going to have some Intel variant of onboard GPU (rather than discrete) . The HD6x0 is a common choice with the higher end UHD6x0 following. UHD might be beyond your price.

Features
Look for Biometrics. The people that make the OS have said that they're trying to get rid of the password. I have used an USB fingerprint scanner for about a year and I love the thing on my desktops. I don't know if Windows 'Hello' will do face recognition outside of an enterprise, but there is nothing cooler than opening the notebook, looking at it in nearly any light (or dark) and it just logging your ugly ass in. On machines without biometrics, I struggle to recall either my password or why it won't move along until I realize I'm back in Windows 7 days. Some people will suggest that you never know who is watching with a camera. I can say with relative certainty that if they stick around long enough, they'll never watch me again.

That should keep you bz for awhile. If you have other questions, hit em up here. Happy to play along.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ram.JPG
Views:	479
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	809844  

Last edited by PropellerHead; 07-27-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2018, 04:40 PM

Mein Auto: 435i Gran Coupe
This should fit the bill. I7 core, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...9SIAE4N79G0741

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i (retired)
Old 07-28-2018, 08:22 AM
Uniquely desultory

Mein Auto: '87 325i, '86 MB 300SDL
I hate to admit how much this stuff is, still, a mystery to me. I just right clicked on 'computer' , clicked properties, and I have 12G of RAM. I knew it was an i5, I couldn't remember the rest.

It's an HP Pavillion, about 8 months old, Costco $500 approx. No major complaints but mystery glitches come up too often. Seizing up now and then, going slow for spells. Who knows why, it gets better, the time it takes varies.

One thing that annoys me with just about every computer I get, I'll do a search for help on this or that, I get instructions to find X, click on Y - I go to look and X and Y are not where they were supposed to be. Different terms I guess, sometimes I can wing it and figure it out. Other times, options that are supposed to be available don't work.

I wanted to reset my password. No prob, they say create a password reset disc. Only that procedure didn't work. I spent a half hour trying every approach I could think of. I'll try it again soon. I just now found a vid (below), I'll try it tonight. Not a huge deal but as with too many other things, I ask myself why is it so hard.

Similar to getting the printer to work. I happened to see a web story: "why is hard copy so hard?" Oh man, the dramas I've had - I wanted a copy of something to take with me to a meeting with a client the next morning but suddenly nothing. And me up for an hour or two trying to make it work when I had really wanted to go to bed.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:48 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

Great info so far!

The RAM was one thing I got burned on w/ going "cheap". I think mine has 4GB and the f%$#er is soldered to the motherboard and you can't upgrade it.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:52 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

My work laptop FLIES! Even with all the watchdog software on it. I love that thing. I just opened the specs on that one:

INtel Core i5-7300U 2.60GHz
8GB ram
64 Bit Windows 10
I know it has an SSD.

That one one NewEgg looks like a similar machine.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: A car
things to know:

processors ending in U are the 'mobile optimized' processors - meaning they spin up and down in speed to save battery mainly
processor ending in HQ are the high performance - will chew your battery up faster but offer much better speeds

so ask yourself, will you be on battery or on power adapter most of the time? If plugged in, go with an HQ model.

Get an 8th Gen processor - no need to go 7th Gen any more, they use less power than the previous generation and they are much better chips.

so look for an i5-8 something - that 8 after the dash is the generation of the processor. My b.i.l. was fobbed off with a 3rd generation about a year ago, I was mad because I told him to ask specifically for a 7th generation, and the p.o.s. sales person sold him a really old machine on clearance at much more than he could have paid on amazon.

This is a MONSTER machine for the money, even though it's a U processor - 512GB SSD, 8GB, gaming machine:

https://amzn.to/2NV87eE

The 8th gen i5 will be as fast *almost* as the 7th Gen i7 in my experience - they are just snappy + fast.

My other advice is to find the Bestbuy Amazon price-match policy - PRINT IT - and take it with you - their staff often don't know the policy.

If you can find an amazon sold product, exactly the same spec (often hard to find) - and be able to add it to your cart, then they will match the price. I have saved hundreds on larger items doing this, and supported my local place, and not had to wait for it.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:34 AM

My processor in this ultrabook is 1.7Ghz base speed boosting to 2.9 - you need to look at the low + high speeds for a U processor - the base speed isn't the entire picture.

I should mention that a U processor is what I have in my ultrabook that's 6 years old - I put an SSD into it and it's a champ still. The Samsung EVO 860 they have out this year is a monster speed SSD and makes up for almost all the shortcomings I have in this machine for surfing, spreadsheets, the odd graphic work I do (nothing super processor intensive). If I replaced the aging battery I'd have a machine that will last another couple of years, but as it is, I'm good to go with power + about 30 minutes only (battery just is "old").

Don't count out a U processor based on that < 2.0 base speed - look at the burstable speed as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:46 AM
Coconut Pete's paella!

OK, I'm off looking.... will post result here later.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 AM

did you buy yet?
Old 08-08-2018, 10:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 328D
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatWiz View Post
It looks like they are all crap today. I went through 3 laptops, 3 different brands, about a year ago trying to find one that just works. Something happened to the manufacturing of laptops, they just don't work flawlessly. I suspect that desktops are the same.
Apple, I kid you not. Expensive but less headaches. I just sa the new Huawei laptop here in China. I played around with it for around 15 minutes and I would say if I had to but a Windows laptop aside from the MacBook Pro this would be it. It really is nice. I donít know about long term reliability though honestly speaking here as I never owned one. MacBooks though I have owned quite a few and reliability has been very good for me. There is a good reason that it takes App,e quite some time to come up with a new MacBook
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 08-09-2018, 01:16 AM

Mein Auto:
Worst ever brand : Toshiba
Best brand: Lenovo and Lenovo Thinkpads
Crap overpriced Dell
Old 08-09-2018, 02:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 BMW 328D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withdean View Post
Crap overpriced Dell

In China Huawei and Lenovo are competing hard against one another. Toshiba in the old days if you bought one in Asia that was made in Japan was quite good. These days it is another story.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7168.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	811672

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app
330ZHP Sold
330 Coupe Sold
Old 08-09-2018, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Apple, I kid you not. Expensive but less headaches. I just sa the new Huawei laptop here in China. I played around with it for around 15 minutes and I would say if I had to but a Windows laptop aside from the MacBook Pro this would be it. It really is nice. I donít know about long term reliability though honestly speaking here as I never owned one. MacBooks though I have owned quite a few and reliability has been very good for me. There is a good reason that it takes App,e quite some time to come up with a new MacBook

+1
I have two MacBook airs. The newer one has i7 and 8gb ram. I run Windows 10 boot camp portion. I can boot in Mac OS or windows and can run windows when I am in Mac OS with parallels.

It is the best Windows machine I have ever owned by far. Yes, it is more expensive, but far less hassle, and if any part of your world is Apple, very convenient.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:41 AM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by stylinexpat View Post
Apple, I kid you not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
+1
I have two MacBook airs. The newer one has i7 and 8gb ram. I run Windows 10 boot camp portion.
iPhans don't read well I have Macs as well, but he expressly said he didn't want it. Why try to shove something he doesn't want?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconutpete View Post
I don't hate any brands, but this must be a PC. I bought a MAC once and did not dig it.

Last edited by PropellerHead; 08-09-2018 at 05:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 335i ActiveHybrid3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Withdean View Post
Crap overpriced Dell
I'd be sticking to Dell had a Dell pc that lasted 8 years with no issues.

Just beware some software doesn't like Lenovo. We had this at work. £2k laptop to run 3D laser scans built above the required the spec. Software didn't run right. Wasn't until we enquired with the software developers and they said don't by Lenovo

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Mein Auto:
I run an external hi security usb on mine. Had to tweak the bios setting before I could get the unit to boot from the usb.
Lenovo Thinkpads are locked down hard at the factory.
Old 08-13-2018, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i; 2007 328 xit
Though its become increasingly the standard, the only way to buy or upgrade is a SSD. Nothing else improves the response as much for so little.

Samsung's SSD comes with an app that measures SSD health -- it'll take me about 20 years (!!!) to use up my SSD's 80 TB rewrite capacity, but it's nice to have the measure of health handy.

Also, perhaps only my need, but buy one that is screwed together, not glued. Stuff fails, and these things are not hard to fix (screens, cameras, fans if there is one, power connectors, headphone connectors if physical) all can and do fail and parts are cheaper than a new one. I ghost my SSD to a cheap hard drive in an external case once a month, so I can respond to a disk failure with a plug-and-go. Also going from a 500GB to a 1TB is nice as a upgrade, and sucks as a PC replacement.

2007 328xiT
2007 530I
2003 325XI (gone)
2004 530I (gone)
2001 530I (gone)

BMW CCA Member 15+ Years

Last edited by banglenot; 08-13-2018 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i/'95 M3 Track Toy
I messed around with others and finally broke down and bought a MacBook. That was 6 years ago. Zero problems.
'11 Chaparral 226ssi

'13 Prius Superleggera One time HPDE car-lol
'08 e90 335i ED delivered SOLD
e46 325xi SOLD
Z-3 roadster 2.8 SOLD
Old 08-14-2018, 05:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328xd Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead View Post
iPhans don't read well I have Macs as well, but he expressly said he didn't want it. Why try to shove something he doesn't want?

I am not recommending a Mac. I am recommending a MacBook used as a PC. It makes a great PC, better than any other I have used.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search