HELP!! Selling a 2015 X3 - Need Opinions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)

X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
The second generation X3 added style and new features to the BMW's mid-sized SUV. Talk about the BMW F25 X3 with other X3 owners now!

Old 11-23-2019, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X3 x35i M sport
HELP!! Selling a 2015 X3 - Need Opinions

I am having difficulty selling my X3. It's getting a lot of attention as it is has low miles and has been meticulously maintained. I believe I have it priced fairly, but I keep getting very low offers. My intent isn't to advertise the car on this forum, I'm only looking for input, opinions, or suggestions as to why it's not selling.

Please tell me what people are thinking, because they keep showing me ones that are lower priced or a year older for the same price and say my price is too high. But the ones they are using for comparison have varying degrees of options like the 28i engine, RWD, no M Sport pkg, sometimes no leather, some of the comparisons have been in accidents, and nearly all of the comparisons have significantly higher mileage.

Does the condition and low miles not count for anything in the used car world?

Any advice or opinion is appreciated. Don't sugar coat anything!

2015 X3 xDrive35i
M Sport Pkg
31,900 miles
Original Owner
MSRP $55,900
Listed for $25K & asking for $24K

Condition:
No Accidents or Bodywork
Extremely clean.
No dings or dents.
Only 3 small scratches (only one is noticeable without searching)
Two rims w/ surface curb rash
Has original tires that still have life but will need to be replaced
Have all service records from local BMW dealership

Every appraiser rates this car as a 4.7-4.8 on a scale of 5.

For reference, here is the link to an ad.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=258125524

Last edited by Islandbound; 11-23-2019 at 05:58 PM. Reason: The link is incorrect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2019, 07:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0 Roadster, X3 30si
Nice X3! Really the only problem I see is time of the year. Dealers make best deals now through the end of the year, holidays are busy times unless a buyer is looking for the exact color combination that you offer you might just have to be patient. I just sold tow BMW's but they were older excellent condition needing nothing and I took a hit - one was an 08 X3 and the other was an 11 335ix. If I were in the market I would surely consider this although silver is not my first color choice. Good Luck
Old 11-24-2019, 12:48 AM

Mein Auto: X3, X1
Did you check Kelley Blue Book or similar to see what the price range is for your vehicle? I agree with the above comment, as well, as this isn't the best time of the year for a sale, depending also on where you're located. If the sale is not urgent, I'd just hold firm until you get a reasonable offer.

Current:
2014 X1 xDrive 28i
2019 Porsche Macan
Previous:
2014 X3 xDrive 28i
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Subaru Outback sport, Saab 99 and 99 Turbo, Volvo 264, Honda CRX, Jaguar E-Type drophead coupe and Mk II sedan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandbound View Post
I am having difficulty selling my X3. It's getting a lot of attention as it is has low miles and has been meticulously maintained. I believe I have it priced fairly, but I keep getting very low offers. My intent isn't to advertise the car on this forum, I'm only looking for input, opinions, or suggestions as to why it's not selling.

Please tell me what people are thinking, because they keep showing me ones that are lower priced or a year older for the same price and say my price is too high. But the ones they are using for comparison have varying degrees of options like the 28i engine, RWD, no M Sport pkg, sometimes no leather, some of the comparisons have been in accidents, and nearly all of the comparisons have significantly higher mileage.

Does the condition and low miles not count for anything in the used car world?

Any advice or opinion is appreciated. Don't sugar coat anything!

2015 X3 xDrive35i
M Sport Pkg
31,900 miles
Original Owner
MSRP $55,900
Listed for $25K & asking for $24K

Condition:
No Accidents or Bodywork
Extremely clean.
No dings or dents.
Only 3 small scratches (only one is noticeable without searching)
Two rims w/ surface curb rash
Has original tires that still have life but will need to be replaced
Have all service records from local BMW dealership

Every appraiser rates this car as a 4.7-4.8 on a scale of 5.

For reference, here is the link to an ad.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...ting=258125524
Plugging your info into KBB shows.....with a VERY GOOD CONDITION

Private party range: $22400-$25590.

Retired:
2014 F31
2013 Q5 3.0T PP Sline
2013 WK2...HEMI
2011 E90 Sedan
2008 E70
2004 E46 Sedan
Old 11-24-2019, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4MC , Corrado G60
Private party sales for $25k 4 year old vehicles has a reduced audience since most people in that price range will be going through a dealer to reduce risk as well as loan/tags/title work.

BTW, The last thing a buyer wants is to dish out $1000+ for new tires shortly after they just bought a $25k vehicle.

What are comparable vehicles selling for at dealers in the area?

With that said, I will pay a premium for a lower mileage, pristine, well optioned and cared for vehicle, so if you're not in a hurry, you could wait it out.
Old 11-24-2019, 04:24 PM

That all said, not trying to hijack this thread, but what would such a vehicle be valued at as a trade-in? You'd definitely get zinged on those worn tires, even at a dealership.

Current:
2014 X1 xDrive 28i
2019 Porsche Macan
Previous:
2014 X3 xDrive 28i
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Subaru Outback sport, Saab 99 and 99 Turbo, Volvo 264, Honda CRX, Jaguar E-Type drophead coupe and Mk II sedan
Old 11-24-2019, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 (2.8i)
[QUOTE=Islandbound;13169389

Please tell me what people are thinking, because they keep showing me ones that are lower priced or a year older for the same price and say my price is too high.

[/QUOTE]
I believe you've already received the feedback from what potential buyers are thinking, read your comment above.

Couple of key points have already been noted:

- A $25K used car is generally not going to be sold quickly
- This is about the worst time of year to be selling a pricey used car, any car for that fact
- If the tires are about shot, you need to take that into consideration regards selling price - regardless of the car, late model BMW or 15 year old Corolla beater, people always look at the tires.
- No magic to setting sales price, regardless of the product...it needs to be at the going local market rate- this in my experience is THEY KEY POINT in garnering a sale.
- Show the prospects: - your detailed service/repair records - a CARFAX report - AND the KBB or Edmunds value figures. I always put all that info into a PDF so I could email it to a prospective buyer - sales tool.
- Potential buyers come in all types; most people want a 'deal', a bargain - such is life dealing with the public.

Double check you local market for what similar cars are listed at, maybe your asking price requires some adjustment? Be patient, this is a major purchase for the buyer.

Good luck/Bill
Old 11-24-2019, 05:00 PM

After doing the instant cash offers on KBB, AutoTrader, Carvana, etc...along with advertising it on multiple websites, I was contacted by many dealers & wholesalers. I've had it appraised in person multiple times and have spoken to several wholesalers who would buy it and send it to auction. The numbers are all the same, so I feel like I am aware of it's value, wholesale and retail.

The independent wholesalers have told me that KBB is one of the worst places to check the value, but it seems to be the one that most people use. They have also said this is the worst time of the year to sell.

Personally, I think it's a combination of timing, my location, and the fact that most everyone I speak to aren't familiar with BMW. They aren't aware of the M Sport Pkg, Xdrive, larger engine, etc... They compare it to a base model, (most of which have been in an accident, have high miles, etc...) show me a photo, and expect me to match the price. One person drove it and complained about the stiff ride and steering. She complained that it did not drive like her Lexus RX. She offered to buy it, but said I should lower the price because it wasn't a smooth ride. This is the population I am dealing with.

I've never, ever had a problem selling a vehicle before. They always sell within a week. But, I've never kept one this long and sell them before the warranty expires and before the model changes. Apparently options, condition, proper maintenance, low miles etc have little effect on resale value. I'm thinking I'll chalk this up to a lesson learned, cut my losses, and move on.

Thanks to you all for the input.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:19 PM

The M-Sport suspension on this type of vehicle is going to narrow the prospective buyer market, if the car has runflats, ugh that does not help. Think about it: how many people who are in the market for an SUV (opps, sorry...SAV) want a taught ride?....not many I think.

I bought a used F25 year and a half ago; regular suspension w/ N52 I-6 motor. I drove E39 sedans with 5-spd manual trannys and M-Sport suspensions for 12 years before that. I wanted a solid SAV but with reasonably comfy ride - I was not interested in carving the twisties in a 4K+ lb. vehicle with relatively high center of gravity.

You just need the 'right' buyer...an experienced Bimmer person who has an interest in the 'performance' aspects of vehicle.

Good luck!
Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 11-24-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 05:59 PM

To answer some of the questions about the price and tires.

I've been offered $22K by wholesalers who will take it to auction and also from dealers to outright sell to them. The dealerships will add new tires and list the vehicle on the lot for $28-29K and sell for $26-27K plus their dealer fees which range from $500-900. I've watched many of these cars sell for that price in the last few months, so I feel confident the dealers are truthful with the numbers. I know of one, nearly identical to mine, with a salvaged title that sold a few weeks ago for $26K plus dealer fees and another that was in the great, same condition as mine sold for $29K plus dealer fees.

With that said and considering the tires, my price has been all over the place. I'm completely honest about the tires and had it listed for $24K. I even reduced the price to $23K, which is just above wholesale, and people still offer $19K. I met a very helpful wholesaler in my area that said people want to haggle to feel like they got a big discount and that despite how low it's priced, they will offer significantly less. He suggested I raise the price so people could negotiate it down. That's why I raised it to $25K, to allow them to negotiate down.

I don't think I'd have the patience to be a salesman. It completely baffles me that someone wouldn't purchase it for just above wholesale, but will pay full retail plus dealer fees. In retrospect, I should have replaced the tires, but I thought if I priced it low enough, it wouldn't matter. In my mind, I'd rather buy it for $23K & spend $1200 on tires than buy it for $27K. It seems like simple math.

But, like I previously stated, lesson learned. I'll take what I can get this week and move on.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:10 PM

I'm an degreed engineer, worked for 30+ years in business to business technical product sales. Selling to Joe Public is like another World; next time you're in a Home Depot, or well, any retail store take a few minutes to observe a couple of our fellow 'consumers' as they choose a product, speak to a salesman, etc. - humanity in conversation can be a real a sight to behold. People are capable of holding some very odd expectations, logic evades some almost completely at times, it's just odd..

Good luck on the sale.
Bill

Last edited by Wgosma; 11-24-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2019, 06:34 PM

Four good tires will easily set you back a grand, but that's sometimes what it takes to make a good sell. Just as with houses, you have to put your money into those components that give you tre greatest payback potential. That all said, your price seems certainly fair and I'm sure the general supply and demand situation factors in heavily; it's also a more specialized edition vehicle that an average consumer probably doesn't fully grasp or appreciate.

Current:
2014 X1 xDrive 28i
2019 Porsche Macan
Previous:
2014 X3 xDrive 28i
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Old 11-24-2019, 11:15 PM

Anyone have experience with Carvana?

Their offer is $21,931.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0si
You can get a quote to buy from your local "CarMax". You don't have to take their offer, but it should give you a pretty good idea what the going price is. You can also check out their inventory (prices).
Old 11-25-2019, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4530i View Post
You can get a quote to buy from your local "CarMax". You don't have to take their offer, but it should give you a pretty good idea what the going price is. You can also check out their inventory (prices).

I did that, but unfortunately they were $3K lower than Carvana.
Old 11-25-2019, 08:20 PM

After listing this car on and off for three months, today was the day. I posted a photo of the Carvana offer last night and my phone blew up all day. The car finally sold!

Thanks to everyone for you insight.
Old 11-26-2019, 08:23 AM

Excellent!
Old 11-26-2019, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: Z3 3.0 Roadster, X3 30si
Great News - Congrats
Old 11-26-2019, 01:50 PM

That's great -- sometimes it takes some extra competitive numbers and marketing push to get the word out. Congratulations!

Current:
2014 X1 xDrive 28i
2019 Porsche Macan
Previous:
2014 X3 xDrive 28i
2013 X3 xDrive 28i
Old 11-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 x3 M-sport 3.5i
Advertise it on Autotrader with pics if you haven't done so already. I bought my X3 through them, and sold my 2008 Audi TT that way as well. Your price sounds perfectly reasonable. Didn't see that you sold it. When comes time for me to sell my '13 X3 3.5i m-sport, I will advertise through either Autotrader again, or try Carvana. Glad you had such quick luck with that site.

Phil G.

2016 BMW 340i M-Sport xDrive Mineral Grey/Oyster
2016 Porsche Boxster S (6MT) GT Silver/Black (SOLD 8/25/18)
2013 BMW x3 M-sport 3.5i x-drive Space Grey/Black
2009 BMW 328i xDrive Space Grey/Oyster (TRADED)

Last edited by pgold1230; 11-28-2019 at 10:49 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2015, 35i, m sport, x3

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search