Overheating problems - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 04-04-2020, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Overheating problems

Just got a 2001 345i, don't know much about these cars. At first thought it was a a blown head gasket, as there was a milky looking substance under the oil cap, as you can see in the picture. But there aren't any other symptoms of this. Anyone able to give suggestions as to what to check and look for?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200404_122134_1586021776771.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	887529  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2020, 10:53 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Any water to oil coolers?
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:14 AM
Certifiable BMW Whackjob!

Mein Auto: 1999 740iS, 2008 335xi
I assume that's a typo and you meant 325i.
What's your weather like and how long are your drives? Is it actually overheating? What does your coolant look like? What does the oil look like on the dipstick?

Posted through Tapatalk downloaded to my neural implant

2005 Venture Extended LT - what else you gonna drive when you have 6 kids, cargo and still want better than 10MPG
1999 740iA - long term project/summer DD
2000 Impala LS - RIP 12/23/2016, officially totaled by insurance company
2001 330xiA - fXtXeX/son project - now April's car
2008 335xiA - winterbeater Impala replacement
2002 530i/5 - 2.5 years searching...and it is John's car
1989 535i/5 - the spare car
2002 325xiA - to be Charlotte's when she gets her license (?2019?)

Last edited by u.nanimous; 04-07-2020 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2020, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto:
I took the valve cover off and I'm seeing alot more of the yellow substance. U can see in the attached pics. The weather has been up and down between cold and hot recently. I don't drive the car at all as it does completely overheat after about 8 - 10 minutes of driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200407_185714_1586304105911.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	887935   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200407_185740_1586304117796.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	887937  
Old 04-08-2020, 05:29 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
First thing to check when a car is overheating is the fluid level; if the fluid level is low, there's not enough coolant to properly cool the engine.

Assuming the fluid level is fine, then next step is to check the quality of the fluid; is it old, does it have contamination, etc.? You've kind-of jumped to the second step first.

If the coolant quality is adequate, check for mechanical malfunctions and blockage: is the coolant actually circulating? Culprits here would be a bad water pump, bad thermostat (although these almost always fail-safe to "open" to avoid overheat conditions), blockage somewhere in the circuit, or possibly a leak. But if it was a leak that large, you'd have determined that you have no fluid in the system in step 1...

If you can confirm that the coolant is circulating, about all that's left is the fan. If your model has an electric fan, and the fan has failed, it will cause the car to overheat. Electric fans have become the standard now because there is less parasitic draw from the engine than a mechanical fan, and the electric fan can be cycled on/off as needed. I went through this with my X3 last summer. The car was fine if it was moving (i.e., had airflow through the radiator simply as a result of the movement of the vehicle), but when I got stuck in traffic, the temp gauge would climb pretty dramatically. The first time it happened, I quickly got the cabin heat on full blast and kept it from becoming a sustained overheat condition; then I monitored the situation closely while I drove the vehicle until the root of the problem could be determined and repaired. The way to check the electric fan (at least on my X3) is to see if it runs briefly when the car is first started, even if the engine is cold; that's the vehicle just performing its operations check. Unfortunately, there's no dashboard lights to indicate when the fan has failed -- except when the overheat light comes on...

If I had to venture a guess though, given that your vehicle is overheating in 8-10 minutes regardless of how it's being operated, I'm thinking either your fluid level is dangerously low or there's a circulatory issue. Start with those things.

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search