Help choosing new daily driver car - hardtop convertible - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 04-05-2020, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Help choosing new daily driver car - hardtop convertible

Hello everyone

I signe cup today i hopes i'm getting some guidance in choosing my next car. I'm certain I want this to be a used hardtop convertible but I'm having trouble narrowing down my options.

I've been looking at BMW 4 series, MB SLC 300 and MB SL 400. <-hoping I'm not committing heresay by mentioning these two on here *ducks* I'm looking at used card 2016-2019, $40k or less

I'm not actually a sports car person, so engine performance/purring engines isn't important to me in the least. This car will be my daily driver so comfort and reliability are my biggest concerns. I considered the Miata RF, but severely put off by the removable cup holders <-comfort issue.

It's just me and my partner with no children To haul around, fairly unfussy lifestyle.

Any guidance on how to choose between these would be most welcome. Once this COVID19 issue is over I'm ready to get out and test drive but I'm looking for any reasons to winnow down my list further before I get to that stage, so I don't waste my time further.

Insight to comparisons on reliability/rate of failure or repairs needed between these are particularly welcome!

Also open to any other recommendations you might have if you know of other cars I should consider.

Kind regards
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2020, 11:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto:
If you are buying you will want a bmw extended warranty. Bmws are generally prone to engine and cooling system failures that are very expensive. A lexus might be 4 times more reliable than a bmw in my opinion. Tred carefully. Many luxury cars made in the last 5 to 7 years are scary expensive to own and maintain.. the ones with cheap prices that seem like a great deal are priced because of the problems.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto:
Thank you! I'm *aware* of higher cost to own. ** because I have no context. Are you able to put some hypothetical figures to this, so I can understand what people are talking about?

I assume the extended warranties are offered on used cars? <--Ignorant, I know, sorry. This will be the first car I've ever purchased on my own. I'm ready for the negotiaitons, but can't get context enough around "expensive to own and maintain" and certain other aspects of the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2020, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
where do you live? What is your budget? You say that performance isn't your desire, what is? What do you want out of a car? Do you want a fast car that you can drive slow or a slower car that you can drive fast? BMW/Mercedes compared to Toyota 86.
Old 04-17-2020, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Hi Steve,

Very good questions! I'm in Maryland just outside of Washington DC.

Here's how I'd describe what I'm looking for: I want a hardtop convertible, full stop. That's my main objective. It's purely a coincidence that they are all sports cars, which I could care less about. I just want the hardtop. I'm looking for a comfortable ride - not horribly stiff suspension - and convenience (i.e. permanent cupholders), and reasonably loaded (Bluetooth, heated steering wheel, nothing outlandish). The top down gives me the thrill. Revving engine? Not so much.

If it weren't for the convertible aspect, I'd be perfectly fine with a sensible Honda CRV (which is what I was considering before discovering my first SLK250 and remembering my teenage dreams). I'm not someone who needs the Mercedes/BMW badge; its jus with the hardtops there are so few options available that it comes down to these.

I'm fairly simple and sensible, really. I'm not opposed to a sporty car by any means. "Sporty" just isn't a criteria in my search. If that's what I happen to buy, its what I buy. Its more the comfort and convenience of a daily driver that are my priorities.

Budget: I'm definitely looking used, $20K-$40K max. For an absolute dreamboat of a car I might be able to push it to $45K, but that's a stretch. Most of these models I'm looking at are coming in $30-35K. Which is where I'm anticipating falling.

Last edited by chris-md; 04-17-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 530e
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris-md View Post
Hi Steve,

Very good questions! I'm in Maryland just outside of Washington DC.

Here's how I'd describe what I'm looking for: I want a hardtop convertible, full stop. That's my main objective. It's purely a coincidence that they are all sports cars, which I could care less about. I just want the hardtop. I'm looking for a comfortable ride - not horribly stiff suspension - and convenience (i.e. permanent cupholders), and reasonably loaded (Bluetooth, heated steering wheel, nothing outlandish). The top down gives me the thrill. Revving engine? Not so much.

If it weren't for the convertible aspect, I'd be perfectly fine with a sensible Honda CRV (which is what I was considering before discovering my first SLK250 and remembering my teenage dreams). I'm not someone who needs the Mercedes/BMW badge; its jus with the hardtops there are so few options available that it comes down to these.

I'm fairly simple and sensible, really. I'm not opposed to a sporty car by any means. "Sporty" just isn't a criteria in my search. If that's what I happen to buy, its what I buy. Its more the comfort and convenience of a daily driver that are my priorities.

Budget: I'm definitely looking used, $20K-$40K max. For an absolute dreamboat of a car I might be able to push it to $45K, but that's a stretch. Most of these models I'm looking at are coming in $30-35K. Which is where I'm anticipating falling.
there are a few other used hard top convertibles out there. Lexus IS250C should give you the vaunted Toyota reliability.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search