Gran Turismo 5 is available for pre-order now! (link inside) - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. **Note** - Political posting is not allowed (or welcome) at Bimmerfest.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
It has gone gold now so it should be on store shelves before the end of the year. It better be damn good for all the delays it has been through.

Past
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Overland Summit 4x4 - Deep Cherry Red
2011 Audi S4 - Imola Yellow
2008 335i Cp - Montego Blue
Ordered: 2/24/08, Mine on: 4/18/08

View My Flickr Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM
VIII

Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
GT5 will be under the Christmas Tree this year!
Old 11-07-2010, 11:31 AM
1st Cav!

Mein Auto: e90
i won't believe it until I see the release date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 11:52 AM
VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybluesky View Post
i won't believe it until I see the release date.
I have Forza 3 but I have to use that crappy Xbox wheel to play it so I can't get into it. GT5 will support the G27, it has a clutch pedal and H shifter! (BTW - Enjoy this video )

Old 11-07-2010, 11:55 AM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato View Post
I have Forza 3 but I have to use that crappy Xbox wheel to play it so I can't get into it. GT5 will support the G27, it has a clutch pedal and H shifter! (BTW - Enjoy this video )

What was she talking about? I all saw was Jessica Lopez, every now and then the video would go blank, but she will reappear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 AM
1st Cav!

Quote:

How do you have it setup? Dedicated gaming chair? I want to buy the G27 but I can't think of how I'd have it configured. I usually just play Ps3 on my couch...
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM
VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintnight View Post
What was she talking about? I all saw was Jessica Lopez, every now and then the video would go blank, but she will reappear.
Hmmm...that's weird because I was having the same problem.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 PM
VIII

Quote:
How do you have it setup? Dedicated gaming chair? I want to buy the G27 but I can't think of how I'd have it configured. I usually just play Ps3 on my couch...
Yeah I have one of the racing seats with the frame to mount the wheel and pedals. It's a lot of fun, my son and daughter use it more than I do but sometimes I'll play and I enjoy it. Reminds me of playing Pole Position in an arcade in the 80s. I usually play Need for Speed Shift just because it's a more laid back game. Forza 3 the cars understeer like crazy all the time. IMO it doesn't have a real sensation of driving from my point of view there is no sensation of speed, it feels like I'm driving way too slow to get the cars around a corner without understeering. IDK, maybe I just don't know how to play it right. I should look for some pointers online. GT4 was like that in some ways, I'm hoping GT5 is more realistic. Eitherway, I love the idea of having the clutch pedal and H shifter so I will be getting the G27 and GT5 for Christmas (actually my son will but I'll get to play it too, win-win!).
Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i xDrive Wagon
GT5 less than 2 weeks away, time to put in the pre-orders:

Gran Turismo 5 coming November 24

Old 11-23-2010, 05:55 PM

Got the e-mail from Amazon letting me know that mine has shipped and will be in my hands tomorrow afternoon. The game better be fricken' good!

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM
1st Cav!

notice when this thread was started. it better be epic.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
notice when this thread was started. it better be epic.
Pfff, I think first video of this game was shown back in early '07! From reading some forums where people already have the game it has been just as good as the rest of the series but some of the standard cars have been a let down. However, from what I've read and seen the premium cars look freakin' amazing!

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 11-23-2010, 08:43 PM
I do'nt make mistakes.

Mein Auto: Quadricycle
No e30? At least the 120i is still there, and it looks like an e46 sedan ('05 330i) which I don't think GT4 had (it had '06 330i e90).
Old 11-24-2010, 01:16 PM

Collectors Edition got delivered to me here at work. Sucks that I won't get to play the damn thing until Friday.

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 11-25-2010, 02:36 AM
1st Cav!

Does anyone know an alternative to the driving seat? I wanna buy the steering wheel but don't wanna drop another 200+ on the seat...
Old 11-25-2010, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: A car
Ok I played the demo and didn't like. It felt as if I was driving a box that was hovering off the ground and hardly controllable. I've played GT4 before and loved it, but the GT5 demo felt and looked bad to me. For anyone who has played both the demo and the game, can you tell me if they are different? I got screwed on FIFA 11 so I'm being careful with this (I'll be trading FIFA 11 in to get another game.) oh and don't buy FIFA 11...

Last edited by chadi; 11-26-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:32 AM

While I still haven't played the game yet ( ) I can probably guarantee that the game will be better than the demo. The GT series has always been about depth and the amount of tweaking you can do with the settings on the car and the different assists you can have turned on or off. My guess would be that you were on the most basic of settings that allowed any one to just pickup a controller and race a lap or two...unless of course you did actually go in and tweak all the settings on the demo, in which case I'm going to be pissed when I finally get to play it!

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 PM
1st Cav!

well FML. Apparently before the release of GT5 the logitech g27 wheel was often on sale for as low as $150. Now that GT5 is out you can barely find it anywhere and there's no hope of it being on sale anytime soon even on black friday.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:24 PM

I'm sure if you put the order in with Amazon, they'll get it back in stock soon and you'll have it in no time, of course for a much higher price but you'll have it.

Past

View My Flickr Photos
Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 PM
1st Cav!

ya 300 bucks. i don't think i can buy that knowing it's been on sale for 150 before.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagofan00 View Post
While I still haven't played the game yet ( ) I can probably guarantee that the game will be better than the demo. The GT series has always been about depth and the amount of tweaking you can do with the settings on the car and the different assists you can have turned on or off. My guess would be that you were on the most basic of settings that allowed any one to just pickup a controller and race a lap or two...unless of course you did actually go in and tweak all the settings on the demo, in which case I'm going to be pissed when I finally get to play it!
Well that's the thing. Those options weren't there on the demo and now I'm hearing complaints about not being able to tweak certain parts of the cars (ie. one review said brakes couldn't be upgraded???) But that may just be a one case scenario, but I hear tuning is not as in depth as Forza 3, from some reviews again. But the demo included a street 350z and a tuned 350z. The tuned car was supposed to be the more difficult one, but it was easier to keep in line than the street version. But both cars felt as if the were merely boxes scooting along a frictionless surface. Plus you did not feel as if you were driving fast at all. One reviewer put it perfectly saying "you look at the speed on the speedometer and then look at the gameplay and you feel a disconnect." I felt that way during the demo, so when I heard it about the full game I felt a bit aprehensive. I remeber GT4 fondly and it was one of the best games I ever played, but when I played the GT5 demo it just seemed they took a huge leap backwards.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 AM

Ok I've been reading some non-professional reviews on Amazon. A lot of personal opinions but some of it is laid out pretty well. After trying to sort through the haters and fanboys it looks like some people have some valid complaints, but generally feel ok with the game. One huge problem I would have is that only about 200 of the 1,000 cars have a cockpit view (basically only the premium cars that is.) So that means that after racing with one view for the entire game I have to change views once I finally get a premium car and get used to racing in that view... Other things like damage only on some cars and other odd things (load times) look to be annoying. Most people still seem to like the game, but many people feel it doesn't live up to the hype. But I would still like to hear from anyone on here who plays it so they can give their opinion. I'll post one review here and a video on gamespot that shows quite a bit of the game. It is an hour long though so be warned...

Quote:
Work in progress..., November 25, 2010
By
Dave
This review is from: Gran Turismo 5 (Video Game)
Work in progress, is what I conclude from playing the game for 2 days now and reading all these reviews. It seems that PD/Sony used GT5 to finance further development in the franchise. They already said that they are working on GT6, they said that this game isn't for this gen of hardware, therefore, it seems they didn't make it as good as it can be, just good enough to get by.

There are two classes of cars, premiums and standards. Standards are cars that were created for previous generation of consoles and copied over to GT5. After driving/owning premiums, the standards look awful. Standards have got to retire already, the technology which was used to make them is very old, and it shows.

Like in GT4, in this game I'd love to have:

Fully customizable cars, this means brakes and liveries too
Full GT franchise track list
Bringing back the feeling that I made progress in the game
Being able to do a pit stop and have B spec Bob continue until I take a rest
Having B spec separate does not make sense for me, what's the point of playing a racing manager, can I be part of the team, can I do half of the race in A spec?
I don't care if I only get 300 cars, they don't need to be called premium. They already set the standard for graphics quality, they're just cars. Standards have got to retire already.
Even in dry weather there is an issue with frame rates, pixalated shadows, this was not the case with GT5 prologue. PS3 is not ready yet for that graphical eye candy yet.
Sony has spent so much money on advertising the game and they did a really good job, in fact so good that when I got the game my expectations were too high.
If GT4 had these graphics, physics, and online, + whatever they want to add, it would be the perfect driving simulator.

That said, it is still a very good game. It is a foundation on which absolutely the best racing game can be built given that it comes out on the next gen of consoles.
And video: http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-pl...ismo_520101122
Old 11-26-2010, 06:31 AM
VIII

Quote:
ya 300 bucks. i don't think i can buy that knowing it's been on sale for 150 before.
Are you sure it was the G27? I've never seen that on sale for $150? IMO it's really hard to play with the wheel on your lap and the pedals on the floor. With the racing seat everything in held in place just right, you feel like you're sitting in a "real" car. You can focus on the game and not have to worry about the wheel and pedals sliding all over the place. I don't always have the wheel hooked up to the seat, the wheel & pedals are hooked up to a frame that slides out and separates from the seat so when I don't have the wheel & pedals attached to the seat, the racing seat just acts as another sitting location in the room, the kids like to sit in the seat and watch TV, etc.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:34 AM
VIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadi View Post
Ok I've been reading some non-professional reviews on Amazon. A lot of personal opinions but some of it is laid out pretty well. After trying to sort through the haters and fanboys it looks like some people have some valid complaints, but generally feel ok with the game. One huge problem I would have is that only about 200 of the 1,000 cars have a cockpit view (basically only the premium cars that is.) So that means that after racing with one view for the entire game I have to change views once I finally get a premium car and get used to racing in that view... Other things like damage only on some cars and other odd things (load times) look to be annoying. Most people still seem to like the game, but many people feel it doesn't live up to the hype. But I would still like to hear from anyone on here who plays it so they can give their opinion. I'll post one review here and a video on gamespot that shows quite a bit of the game. It is an hour long though so be warned...

Sometimes I just want to play Need for Speed Shift or Burnout, it's easier, the car feels like it's moving fast, it's easy to get around a turn without slowing down to a crawl. Of course it's not realistic AT ALL but it's fun and not as laborious as Forza & GT can be.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Sometimes I just want to play Need for Speed Shift or Burnout, it's easier, the car feels like it's moving fast, it's easy to get around a turn without slowing down to a crawl. Of course it's not realistic AT ALL but it's fun and not as laborious as Forza & GT can be.
I understand this completely. What I enjoyed the most about GT4 was the realism, but the demo did not feel realistic at all! I have found some comments about the GT5 demo, and many of them complained of the same things I have complained about. But I'm not seeing any of those complaints from the full game, so that is promising. It looks like most of the complaints a merely superficial when one is looking forward to the physics. So I have my thumbs crossed here!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic
Today's Posts Search