estimate and reality check for E46 330c pre-purchase inspection on 75k mile example - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i F30 M-Sport
estimate and reality check for E46 330c pre-purchase inspection on 75k mile example

Hi all,

I'm selling a 2004 E46 330ci that is in, to my opionion, good shape. I am listing low (to my feeling of a fair price considering all known info on car) and have a buyer who has tentatively agree to a purchase per an inspection. We were at $10,450 when I disclosed all known issues. Car has some repaint on rear quarter panel where wheel well was hit. The car has a clean car fax despite that (the damage was minor) and no other work. I am the second owner and put on 20k miles in exactly three years. Car is at 75,000 miles now.

There is a known intermittent that flags the check engine light for one week out of five or six - it goes on and off. Haven't been able to take time to hunt that down and I disclosed that issue to the buyer. Car has passed smog (light is off) and is in otherwise clean physical shape.

Anyway, attached is the estimate from the pre-sale inspection I agreed to (after that negotiating) - with all of the shop specifics and names removed, etc. I'm wondering if this inspection changes things much in people's minds or if the work noted is simply fair for a car at that price.

I also want to first reality check the numbers on the estimate. I know I can buy Hancook tires for under $700 a full set. Other reputable full sets are $600. The tires were not in question until the inspection - they are low on tread but certainly not bald or anything. All tires pass a "penny test" on tread only with the fronts being quite close to that limit. Apparently one rim has small bend that is not signifigant and there is certainly curb rash on wheels.

For these known issues I decided to list car low-ish at $10,900 and take offers - I would accept meeting in the middle of my buyer's initial pre-inspection offer ($10,000) at $10,450 with none of the PPI work done. I am feeling a bit like this work is "normal" for a full instpecton on car that age and listed at that price. I have service records for my term of ownership and have already replaced or serviced the below in a timely manner (before any non-driveable failures):

60,000 mile service
70,000 oil service (filter and oil)
starter and alternator, voltage regulator
oxygen sensor
oil sender
ext temp sender
front brakes
intake manifold hose
oil seperator hose
oil line VANOS to filter
arm bushing kit (both sides, lower arm, 2 pieces)
idler pulley, multi rib belt, belt tensioner

Regarding the PPI (attached), seeing things like $128 for the wiper leak knowing its either a $25 pump, $4 grommet, or some silcone seal $0 makes me wonder -

1) are the prices on the PPI high like I feel or what would you expect
2) are the items listed fair repairs for the cost of this car at its age (ie not further reducing value)

Estimate attached with shop particulars removed.

Thank you for the advice on either pricing, condition, or this estimate I attached. For reference I am in Los Angeles market (relatively expensive repairs) but buyer is out of market in the Santa Barbara area.

All advice welcome. I am prioritizing a quick sale at the correct price vs going through whole car for every last bit that could be serviced and then re-listing higher. I have a replacement F30 already delivered so I'd like to sell car with minimal hassle so long as I explain everything and price is fair.

Thank you!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf estimate.pdf (2.29 MB, 98 views)

Last edited by akaMomo; 01-11-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
IMHO, you`re pretty much in the ballpark. That repair price quote is insane, but quite typical. A lot depends on how motivated a seller you are. Shrinking the price a couple hundred bucks would show good faith on your part, and unless the buyer is a total asshole he should go for it. Good luck !

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 01-10-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
IMHO, you`re pretty much in the ballpark. That repair price quote is insane, but quite typical. A lot depends on how motivated a seller you are. Shrinking the price a couple hundred bucks would show good faith on your part, and unless the buyer is a total asshole he should go for it. Good luck !
Thanks. I just dealt with my shop who said he could go through that list for a bit over $500 (although with some differing on how - he claimed it was most likely oil housing leak just due to probability - we didn't put it on rack I just stopped in fast). For instance he has the wiper leak fixed for $30, oil issue for $300 and rear shock mounts for $150-$180 all off top of his head. Tires, $600 or so. I checked tread and rears are within the penny check and so are fronts, just closer up there.

But for $1200 or less I think you have more of a $12k specimen for the low miles and clean interior and exterior, nice wheels, xenons, hk sound etc., adult driver clean carfax blah blah. So the agreed $10,400 to me to buy car as-is, put your $1,200 into it if you want it there and you're still not making a bad deal is where I'm trying to come from. Also that $1,200 could be done over time getting buyer into more of a car if he'd rather put a bit less up front. None of the items are a must-do-immediately type thing in my reading of it.

Thank you for the advice.

Last edited by akaMomo; 01-10-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: '01 325Cic TiAg
The prices on the work is why most of us DIY, the parts can be found for less and you'll save the labor cost. Your pricing strategy is sound and your potential buyer is using the PPI as anyone would to his advantage. I would keep your price where it is and wait till the right buyer turns up. If you are in a hurry, do everything you can by yourself and adjust your price accordingly.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM

-- removed --

Last edited by akaMomo; 01-12-2013 at 05:43 PM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search