Newb looking for some adivce - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)

F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
The 2 Series coupe is the replacement for the E82/E88 1 series coupe. Production starts in November 2013 on the 228i (N20) and M235i (N55) coupes. Look for them in dealerships in February 2014. The convertible F23 2 series will follow in the fall of 2014.

Old 10-18-2019, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto:
Newb looking for some adivce

Hello: I'm a former BMW owner (20 plus years ago; 318 coupe) and very interested getting back into one. I'm currently looking at a 2016 228i Coupe xDrive. I was hoping to get some first-hand knowledge about the car from current owners. Anything you can provide would be most helpful; good and the bad/upkeep costs etc. The car I'm interested in was a lease, has 24k miles and selling for $18k. It's not huge on options, in fact, I believe it's the base model, no frills. But, under 20k would be my budget. Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.

Regards,
Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2020 series 2 230i
Hi, I have only test driven a 2016 2 series before I ordered my 2020 but this link to the truDelta site might help.
https://www.truedelta.com/BMW-2-Series/reliability-1220
Old 10-19-2019, 05:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2018 M240i
If the car tickles your fancy, have it undergo a pre-purchase inspection performed by a reputable indie shop that specializes in bimmers. Try www.bimrs.org.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2019, 08:58 AM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: '16 428i GC
OP, could you give more information like will this be your daily driver, are you driving solo most of the time or do you ferry passengers often? The F22 will seat two back seat passengers but it will not be as comfortable for long drives as a bigger model would. Because itís a coupe, the ingress/egress is better suited only for kids or a smaller adult. Although about the same size, my former E46 sedan was much easier for backseat passengers. But...if you drive solo or only have a front passenger, this car will bring on a stupid grin every time you drive it: itís nimble, quick, responsive, easier to park (smaller size), simply fun to drive and brings back memories of the E46.
'19 230i MSpt AlpWhite
Old 10-19-2019, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 228i RWD
I have a 228i RWD, when I went to test drive it my first thought was how similar to my old 318 it was. The car feels very connected to the road and is a blast to drive. If you can live without the bells and whistles you will love the driving experience of the 228. I don't know how different it would be with the xDrive, but my stock run flats were garbage if there was any moisture on the road. I don't know what your weather is like, but I would suggest getting some better tires.

As far as maintenance, I haven't had any major issues. A few common failures were handled under warranty (coolant expansion tank, steering angle sensor).

Good luck!
Old 10-19-2019, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
OP, could you give more information like will this be your daily driver, are you driving solo most of the time or do you ferry passengers often? The F22 will seat two back seat passengers but it will not be as comfortable for long drives as a bigger model would. Because it's a coupe, the ingress/egress is better suited only for kids or a smaller adult. Although about the same size, my former E46 sedan was much easier for backseat passengers. But...if you drive solo or only have a front passenger, this car will bring on a stupid grin every time you drive it: it's nimble, quick, responsive, easier to park (smaller size), simply fun to drive and brings back memories of the E46.
Actually, this will be my daily driver, about 14 miles RT. The kids are way too big for longer drives but they could deal with the small back seat area for a trip out to dinner etc. The trick is to find the right one at the right price/mileage. The one I was interested in had nothing to offer in the way of upgrades the closer I looked. I live in the higher desert (above 7000 feet) so the AWD will be key. Was looking at an old Porsche Cayman but those being RWD and only a two seater, I moved towards getting back into a BMW. Really appreciate all the comments.
Old 10-19-2019, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 328 xi wagon
At some point the four cylinder engines had problems with the timing chain or the chain guides. I believe that that was sorted out by 2016, but you might want to look into it. I had a 2005 328 wagon that I drove to 145,000 miles. It needed work between 80,000 and 105,000 miles, including a water pump, a couple of spark plug/coil assemblies, and several gaskets, including the sunroof gasket. The most expensive gasket was on the oil pan, because the labor included dropping the AWD differential for the front wheels. Two separate dealers told me that the oil pan gasket should be replaced because it was leaking, but later an independent mechanic told me that he used older BMWs as loaners and ignored the oil leaks. The water pump left me needing a tow, and all of the other problems were less of an inconvenience. I sold it because I didn't trust it for long trips, but except for the water pump it had been absolutely reliable.

In short, I regard BMWs as very reliable. I do maintain mine by the book, at the dealer, and it can be expensive, but I also keep them a very long time, avoiding paying the dealer his profit at trade in as long as I can. Enjoy, and good luck!

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series & 2 Series > F22 / F23 2 Series (2014 - Current)
Today's Posts Search