any tips on what to do with this paint scratch? - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2016 435i XDrive MPPK/MPE
any tips on what to do with this paint scratch?

i assume someone hit a zipper or backpack against my car, i got a long scratch, it doesnt seem too deep so i dont think anyone did it delibretely or maybe it could have been a small rock that grazed my paint on the highway, who knows.

here are some pics! and im wondering what you guys recommend for me to get done to get it fixed, i want it hopefully to dissapear enough to pass the lease-end inspection, however i do have bmw excess wear lease protection so that should cover something atleast. its a thin and long scratch and kinda hard to see, so im trying my best

i want to get this fixed before the lease inspection because i dont want them to note this down and then expect me to pay for a whole panel repaint or something.

i have looked locally and it seems like one shop is willing to try a wet sand and polish to see how much we can make it dissapear and another shop has SSR paint technology so idk which one i should goto. any recommendations on what to get done for this scratch?

thx!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	113.4 KB
ID:	860935

Name:	IMG_2142.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	860937

Name:	IMG_2253.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	860939

Name:	IMG_5177.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	860941

Name:	IMG_5273.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	860943

Name:	IMG_6533.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	860945
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 12:10 PM

here are the rest of the pics!
https://imgur.com/a/dqF8LZI

thx
Old 08-11-2019, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
I would start with one of the scratch remover products you can find in retail car places. You must apply a fair amount of elbow grease and may have to do it several times. If that doesn't work to your satisfaction, a detailing shop should be able to buff it out. Consumer Report has reviews.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 03:23 PM

Mein Auto: '17 540xDrive; '98 Z3 2.8
You may be able to use a clear-coat polishing compound to level out the least of the scratch that hasn't gone through the finish. You want to avoid removing too much of the finish so easy and avoid any heavy-handed detail or paint correction products. Any remaining minor imperfections could be reduced with the judicious use of the correct color touch-up paint. However, I suspect what is most apparent to you now will "vanish" with some careful polishing and a fresh coat of wax.
"Seek and ye shall find" - start with your owner's manual!

Click on the MrRebates logo/link for cash back savings at on-line stores like Tirerack!Mr. Rebates
Old 08-11-2019, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535XI,XHP/MHD
If you can catch a fingernail it is to deep to polish out and would need some kind of touchup paint.

It doesn't look bad from what I can make out. A simple machine polish would reduce it, if not make it disappear.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 PM
C code: 405/3

Mein Auto: 99 Z3 M Coupe
I can't see a whole lot of white there so it looks like it's just very light clearcoat damage.
Get a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX2.0 and work the scratch a few inches at a time. By hand. Stop every 60 - 90 seconds, wipe clear and examine. When you can't see the scratch in the working area, move on to the next.

Prior to the end of lease inspection, do that side of the car with a nice carnauba wax, a couple of layers. Carnauba will fill in any small imperfections left over from your repair.
Old 08-12-2019, 05:01 PM

thanks for the reply everyone! yeah im going to be taking it a detailing shop who said based off the pics will try wet sand and polish. i guess thats the best method it seems, will let you know how it goes
Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 PM

thanks a ton for the replies guys!
i actually will be getting a shop to do it! but im having troubles picking the shop

one shop im talking to said "For the scratch it's a multi step process of polish paint fill, polish etc."

while another shop i have been talking to said:
The scratch does look a little deep which may be tough to completely remove. I would do a light wet sand and polish and should see a 60-90% improvement without painting. But definitely something I would like to see in person"

is it better just to go with shop 1 because they mention filling with paint and then polishing? or does this damage seem repairable by the recommendation of shop 2 in which there gonna do a wet sand and polish

thanks!
Old 08-20-2019, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Why not give it a try yourself first? Buy one of the products recommended above and give it a whirl. What do you have to lose but the cost of the product and a little bit of time? You might even learn something in the process and save the coin that you would have paid to your body shop.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:58 AM

Mein Auto: G30 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
Why not give it a try yourself first? Buy one of the products recommended above and give it a whirl. What do you have to lose but the cost of the product and a little bit of time? You might even learn something in the process and save the coin that you would have paid to your body shop.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
So, what did you do?
Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
I really can't see anything, or rather "just about", it's just in the clearcoat, spray with water does it go ? yes it clearcoat
first JUST try to buff it out, I use a zymol product, try a VERY VERY VERY light coat of a scratch remover, megairs etc.
rub on and off with a WET cloth, keep the area damp, if that doesnt work, then maybe same product but used dry (or follow there instructions)
Old 08-30-2019, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi524td View Post
You may be able to use a clear-coat polishing compound to level out the least of the scratch that hasn't gone through the finish. You want to avoid removing too much of the finish so easy and avoid any heavy-handed detail or paint correction products. Any remaining minor imperfections could be reduced with the judicious use of the correct color touch-up paint. However, I suspect what is most apparent to you now will "vanish" with some careful polishing and a fresh coat of wax.
^^^^ this
Old 08-30-2019, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz3mc View Post
I can't see a whole lot of white there so it looks like it's just very light clearcoat damage.
Get a tube of Meguiar's ScratchX2.0 and work the scratch a few inches at a time. By hand. Stop every 60 - 90 seconds, wipe clear and examine. When you can't see the scratch in the working area, move on to the next.

Prior to the end of lease inspection, do that side of the car with a nice carnauba wax, a couple of layers. Carnauba will fill in any small imperfections left over from your repair.
^^^ John has given me great advise in the past, out of everything, "THIS" is what I would do

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department
Today's Posts Search