Shifting Process - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto:
Shifting Process

I was debating this with a few SAs and independent mechanic.

What is the proper way to shift the gear to not damage the gear/transmission? Slowly one click at a time, or is it ok to just "shift" quickly?

Last edited by uberhungry; 07-26-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 04:25 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Not enough information.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-26-2019, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto:
Let me try to clarify...

So when I shift the gear, I go one click (step) at a time, slowly. Or should I just push forward (to go into R), and then quickly pull the shifter down to go into D from R?

In other words, does it matter whether you have to go easy on shifting (one slow ‘click’) for each selection, ie R, N, D. Or quick push and pull on the shift won’t make a difference?

On another note, how do I know the battery is about to go, if no warning lights are on yet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2019, 08:55 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Any required delay will be mediated by the electronic gear shifter.

A battery four years old or more needs extra attention to last much longer.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
It's electronic...I would suggest to treat it like you do your wall switches. How do you turn on the lights when you walk into a dark room that has a light switch on the wall? Do you gently push it up slowly...or do you gently flick it...or do you hit it like you were going to crush a walnut?

Both (your gear shift lever & wall light switch) are electronic. If any damage were to occur to the switch itself...it would be based on the amount of force applied to the switch. It's not going to affect the transmission at all...as Doug mentioned in his reply...that is done electronically one the circuit/data is engaged.

In regards to shifting & hurting the transmission...I'm not even sure if its possible anymore due to the electronics. In the past (with mechanical shifting)...you could eventually damage the transmission if you always moved the car into gear while the car is still moving. Manytimes you will see people reversing out of their drive or parking space...then before the car comes to a stop...they'd through the shifter into a forward gear. I don't think you can do that on the new cars with electronic shifting (if you can, I'm not experienced with this because I ALWAYS come to a stop before moving the car into drive or reverse).

Man-handling the gear shift lever will more likely damage the gear shift switch...moreso than damaging the transmission.

1. Gear lever switch
2. P button (parking)
3. Release button
4. Function display with shift pattern
5. Selector lever
6. Control electronics

Structure and inner electrical connection

The gear selector switch (GWS) is connected via a plug connection to the vehicle electrical system.

The gear selector switch is a bus user on the PT-CAN and PT-CAN2.

The power distribution box in the junction box or the front right power distribution box supplies the gear selector switch with terminal 30B.

The Car Access System (CAS) or the front electronic module (FEM) supplies the gear selector switch with terminal 15 WUP.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 07-26-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
As long as the car is not moving, there is no need to go through neutral when shifting. Maybe it'll reduce wear by a miniscule amount, but nothing that's going to affect the longevity of the transmission.

If you're concerned about transmission wear, the most important thing is to make sure the car has come to a full stop before shifting.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search