Purchased CTEK Battery Maintainer...can't find the Ground under my 750 hood - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750Li
Purchased CTEK Battery Maintainer...can't find the Ground under my 750 hood

So I posted up some error codes about my vehicle and some people mentioned to charge my battery.

I bought the ctek via amazon and I was going to put it to charge late afternoon yesterday.

So here is some background.
Yesterday at around 4:00 pm, I go to the gym. I leave at about 5:30 and I go to start my car, it seemed like the battery was totally dead because it kept cranking and cranking but wouldn't start. So I kept trying and nothing. I sat in my car doing nothing for about 5 minutes and all of a sudden, it started. So I got home, connected the CTEK. I found the Positive terminal and connected. I put the negative to what looks like a screw and what I thought was the negative termina (bottom left hand side)l. I left it since yesterday and took it out just now (23 hours) but it wouldn't go past Level 6 on the CTEK. So more than likely I didn't put it on the correct negative terminal but I can't seem to find it under the hood.

I attached a picture. The lower left hand side is where I put my negative. Can anyone see where the REAL negative terminal is at?

thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0368.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	860107  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 04:08 PM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
So I posted up some error codes about my vehicle and some people mentioned to charge my battery.

I attached a picture. The lower left hand side is where I put my negative. Can anyone see where the REAL negative terminal is at? thank you.
That looks like it should work. If you have doubts, consult your owners manual. If you have doubts, hook the Black negative clamp to a fat part of the block or chassis.

There are a number of models of CTEK battery chargers, so I don’t know what is “level 6.”

On mine CTEK 4.3 MUS, Step 6 is Recondition and must be manually selected.

On mine CTEK 4.3 MUS, it is started by plugging it in and selecting Normal Battery Program and it will run to IIRC Float.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
That looks like it should work. If you have doubts, consult your owners manual. If you have doubts, hook the Black negative clamp to a fat part of the block or chassis.

There are a number of models of CTEK battery chargers, so I don’t know what is “level 6.”

On mine CTEK 4.3 MUS, Step 6 is Recondition and must be manually selected.

On mine CTEK 4.3 MUS, it is started by plugging it in and selecting Normal Battery Program and it will run to IIRC Float.
thank you
I was reading in a post that earlier f02's don't have the negative terminal under the hood so maybe this is the case for me.

Mine is: CTEK 56-959) Silver MUS 4.3
There are '8 levels'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2019, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
Any unpainted surface like a bolt will work, the post towards the front of the car that looks similar to the positive post should be the negative terminal.

How old is your battery? If level 6 is recondition, it is possible that the battery is towards the end of its life, which is why the charger didn't enter the bulk charge phase.
Old 08-04-2019, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740i
Battery Ground

Attached is a pic (highlighted) where the ground goes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	battery term.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	860199  
Old 08-04-2019, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimg9582 View Post
Attached is a pic (highlighted) where the ground goes.
thank you, that is where I had it
Old 08-04-2019, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin750 View Post
Any unpainted surface like a bolt will work, the post towards the front of the car that looks similar to the positive post should be the negative terminal.

How old is your battery? If level 6 is recondition, it is possible that the battery is towards the end of its life, which is why the charger didn't enter the bulk charge phase.
Here's the strange part.
I took my vehicle for the valve stem seals lawsuit thing.
This was early January of this year, 2019, and got it back early February. The SA said they changed the battery under the program/recall.

I really don't drive this car much at all. Maybe 8 miles a day at most, all city miles.

Here is a pic of my ctek: I think level 7 means that it was fully charged?
But mine stayed on 6 for hours
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-08-04 at 10.51.36 AM.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	860209  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i and 2015 740i
Which mode is the charger in? Looking at the user manual, you'll want at least normal battery program (car icon) and AGM mode (snowflake icon) selected.

If you're stuck in step 6, that means you have recondition mode (RECOND) selected. That's fine, though it'll add more time to the charging cycle. Step 7 is float charge, which means it's not yet fully charged. I would probably wait until it reaches step 8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
I really don't drive this car much at all. Maybe 8 miles a day at most, all city miles.
Actually, this is pretty much the worst case scenario in terms of wear. The engine doesn't reach operating temperature and the alternator doesn't have an opportunity to charge the battery. You're going to want to charge the battery at least every month.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Nuclear engineer

Mein Auto: CPO2012 X5 35d M57(E70)
The CTEK charger will put out only 4.3 Amp at 14.7 VDC. A dead 100 AH battery will take more than 24 hours from dead to 100%.

A good charge should end at FLOAT that mine will maintain for 10 days.
Scepticism is the chastity of the intellect, and it is shameful to surrender it too soon or to the first comer: there is nobility in preserving it coolly and proudly through long youth, until at last, in the ripeness of instinct and discretion, it can be safely exchanged for fidelity and happiness.
(The Works of George Santayana p. 65)

Eschew eristical argumentation. I am responsible for what I write, not for your understanding of it.
Old 08-04-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin750 View Post
Which mode is the charger in? Looking at the user manual, you'll want at least normal battery program (car icon) and AGM mode (snowflake icon) selected.

If you're stuck in step 6, that means you have recondition mode (RECOND) selected. That's fine, though it'll add more time to the charging cycle. Step 7 is float charge, which means it's not yet fully charged. I would probably wait until it reaches step 8.

Actually, this is pretty much the worst case scenario in terms of wear. The engine doesn't reach operating temperature and the alternator doesn't have an opportunity to charge the battery. You're going to want to charge the battery at least every month.
I left it on the car icon.
I will leave it on the snowflake icon mode and see what happens
thank you

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search