oil change - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 PM
bmw740i2015 bmw740i2015 is offline
Registered User
Location: Riverside County
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 740i
oil change

Before I begin, Thank You Bimmerfest for being here online to answer my question.

I warning telling me I need an oil change popped up a few days ago and it would appear BMW knows it popped up because they call and asked if I wanted to make an appointment.
Cost is $245.00 including 0W30 Pennzoil European synthetic, filter and a check of my other fluids and a free car wash and maybe a bit less with a 15% discount or was it $15.00 with an Autonation coupon.
Cost at Walmart is $25.00 if I bring in 6.9 quarts of 5W-30 Pennzoil synthetic European and a filter.
Price at Firestone, Jiffy and Pep boys is a little over a hundred with 5W-30 Pennzoil synthetic European.
I've been told 0W-30 is only available through BMW.
Previous oil changes when first lease December 2014
12/08/15 @ 4735 miles
12/09/16 @ 10397 miles
09/07/17 @ 15394 miles
09/07/18 @ 20750 miles
now 08/06/19 I have 25350 miles

What to do? Where to go?
Thanks
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:25 PM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,473
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Make the switch to Castrol Edge 0w-40. DIY the oil change. Two 5qt jugs at Walmart will cost you $50. Get the filter, have the tools, and you are good to go. If you don’t want to DIY it you can either pay the high price at a dealer or find a good Indy BMW shop. I wouldn’t chance it with a non-BMW shop. If you decide to DIY use Newton’s.info


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-06-2019, 07:41 PM
Ridin'Dirty's Avatar
Ridin'Dirty Ridin'Dirty is offline
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
Location: NW PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw740i2015 View Post
it would appear BMW knows it popped up because they call and asked if I wanted to make an appointment.
Not surprised here... my bank calls the dealership anytime I have more than $200 in my checking account for longer than two weeks.
__________________

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.

Last edited by Ridin'Dirty; 08-06-2019 at 07:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:12 AM
hgarcia hgarcia is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw740i2015 View Post
Before I begin, Thank You Bimmerfest for being here online to answer my question.

I warning telling me I need an oil change popped up a few days ago and it would appear BMW knows it popped up because they call and asked if I wanted to make an appointment.
Cost is $245.00 including 0W30 Pennzoil European synthetic, filter and a check of my other fluids and a free car wash and maybe a bit less with a 15% discount or was it $15.00 with an Autonation coupon.
Cost at Walmart is $25.00 if I bring in 6.9 quarts of 5W-30 Pennzoil synthetic European and a filter.
Price at Firestone, Jiffy and Pep boys is a little over a hundred with 5W-30 Pennzoil synthetic European.
I've been told 0W-30 is only available through BMW.
Previous oil changes when first lease December 2014
12/08/15 @ 4735 miles
12/09/16 @ 10397 miles
09/07/17 @ 15394 miles
09/07/18 @ 20750 miles
now 08/06/19 I have 25350 miles

What to do? Where to go?
Thanks
Hmm, I think there is one important factor at play here. Have you been having trouble with your engine at all? For instance, all of us with valve stem seals that are/were leaking, some of us that were in the lawsuit were required to show proof that oil was changed through a Bmw service center. Keyword: SOME
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-07-2019, 10:20 AM
BabyUnicornTaco BabyUnicornTaco is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charleston, SC
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 1,473
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 4.8i E70 Sport
Does the Magnussen-Moss Warranty Act come into play with the lawsuit?


Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
__________________
2008 X5 E70 4.8i M-Sport
2008 550i RPI Exhaust, RPI Ram Air
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-07-2019, 04:52 PM
QSilver7's Avatar
QSilver7 QSilver7 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northeast Indiana
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 11,260
Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.4/2013 650ix GC
If you take it to a non BMW dealership...do you know how to reset the service interval? If you don't, more than likely, most of the places you listed will not either.

The service reset doesn't occur automatically just because new oil was poured in and a new filter placed in the oil filter reservoir.
__________________
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 2013 F06 650ix Gran Coupe` (Black Sapphire) 1/13 mfg date
(SOLD)
97 740iL (Arctic Silver) <<~>> 99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=637911&d=1538398374&thumb=1&stc=1

Last edited by QSilver7; 08-08-2019 at 09:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-07-2019, 05:34 PM
Ridin'Dirty's Avatar
Ridin'Dirty Ridin'Dirty is offline
'17 X1 - Rooster Cruisin'
Location: NW PA
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 999
Mein Auto: '93 "Beemer" R100r
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
do you know how to reset the service interval?
HINT:
https://seventrumpet.com/2008-2015-b...g-light-reset/

Or maybe not:
https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=914893
__________________

If you can't fix it, you don't own it.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2019, 02:15 AM
paprmkr's Avatar
paprmkr paprmkr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oxnard, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
on amazon LiquiMoly 5w-40 5 liter jugs are $40. get filter at dealer or look up part number on realoem.com
take to oil changing place give them your supplies and normally cost me about $25 to have them change oil. this way no mess for me.
my oil temp is lower and engine seams quieter. my car has 163,000 miles so at you low miles car will last long time. plus i change my oil at about 5K miles. before this oil i always used whatever BMW had. but i just purchased there and always had someone else do work.

at $245 heck i will get under any car and change their oil for that money. my way is no more than $120
also with this regime my cars have lasted more that 250K miles before i sell them.(knock on wood)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2019, 06:20 AM
hgarcia hgarcia is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 131
Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by paprmkr View Post
on amazon LiquiMoly 5w-40 5 liter jugs are $40. get filter at dealer or look up part number on realoem.com
take to oil changing place give them your supplies and normally cost me about $25 to have them change oil. this way no mess for me.
my oil temp is lower and engine seams quieter. my car has 163,000 miles so at you low miles car will last long time. plus i change my oil at about 5K miles. before this oil i always used whatever BMW had. but i just purchased there and always had someone else do work.

at $245 heck i will get under any car and change their oil for that money. my way is no more than $120
also with this regime my cars have lasted more that 250K miles before i sell them.(knock on wood)
wow 163k miles and still going strong?
Did you ever have any issues with it?
my 2010 started getting that low oil warning and it wasn't even at 50k miles
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2019, 12:56 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,748
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
I changed my oil back to 5w40, & have not lost any oil since. The oil warning system seems to not work properly to me. Don't tell me when I am 2 qts low, I want a warning way before then! The 5w30 blows out to fast.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2019, 07:13 PM
bmw740i2015 bmw740i2015 is offline
Registered User
Location: Riverside County
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 30
Mein Auto: 740i
It is over. Thanks for your replies.
7 quarts of LL-01 FEOW-30 was 63.63
1 PPOIL precision part oil filter 6834 CB 84.12 seems like a lot money for an oil filter
an O ring 14.99
Plus free car wash inside and out.
There was a discount on total and yes a little more than I would pay if I had a Nissan or had gone to Jiffy Lube but a whole lot less I am only guessing if I had a 2019 BMW sport i8 but if I did I might not care about an oil change cost.
Thanks for your replies.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-09-2019, 02:28 AM
paprmkr's Avatar
paprmkr paprmkr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oxnard, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgarcia View Post
wow 163k miles and still going strong?
Did you ever have any issues with it?
my 2010 started getting that low oil warning and it wasn't even at 50k miles
i had the CCP done. but even then the seals done when oil consumption was not bad. just good friend at dealer
currently car asks for liter at about 3500-4000 miles. so i will add but then gather kit to change oil.
car is great still. as a matter leaving this morning on a long drive. through Vegas, Grand Junction, Co, Gunnison, Co , South fork-Co, and ending in Santa Fe NM
i gather yearly with group of BMW owner and drive Rocky Mountains. will be back on 20th.
Last year i did this trip plus a 3900 trip through Neveda, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Washington, Oregon. it was great.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.