F01 Rear Seat Entertainment Retrofit - OEM RSE - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
The 5th generation F01/F02 BMW 7 Series flagship forum. The redesigned 7 series leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code, offering an 8 speed automatic transmission and all turbocharged engine options.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 09-15-2015, 01:18 AM
Individual750LI's Avatar
Individual750LI Individual750LI is offline
BMW rocks!
Location: Las Vegas
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 771
Mein Auto: 2013 750I M
Wow amazing! I would never dare to do anything like this!
__________________


2015 X6M, 2014 X1, 2015 Kia Sedona SX-Limited
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #27  
Old 03-12-2016, 03:06 AM
yukka yukka is offline
Registered User
Location: Calgary AB
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Excuse me sir where do i find this system for sale? I searched everywhere on the internet! Im in canada is it possible for me to purchase it?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-20-2016, 08:06 AM
stuartjohn24 stuartjohn24 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 830
Mein Auto: BMW F01
I found all parts on eBay, try eBay.de to find what you want. It is rare kit though!
__________________
2008 F01 - Sophistograu with Saddle Brown Leather
Retrofits:
Night Vision, Digital TV, Heated M-Sport Steering Wheel + Paddles, Combox, 6NF Baseplate, 6NR Apps, Rear Entertainment System, Automatic Boot Close and Surround View Cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-10-2016, 11:35 PM
745D 745D is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 343
Mein Auto: 745Li
can you post the part numbers for the connectors/crimps and rgb cable please. thank you
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Farooq Farooq is offline
Registered User
Location: Tampa
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: E38 2000
Bmw fo2 cid/cic help!

Hi John,
Nice write up. I think you are the right person to ask my question.
I have 2012 BMW 750Lix M Package and I lost my Navigation Screen signal about a month ago.
So now my Radio, CD, Navigation, Voice Control are not working.

I am exhausted doing a DIY and trying to find the problem. I got some information from
this forum and I did troubleshooting the system. First of all I checked all my fuses front and
back and all are good. Second of all my MOST system is not showing
active on ISTA/d and program is unable to communicate with CHAMP, CBX-MEDIA AMPT AND KOMBI.
I am attaching the photo of the same. So I connected the fibre Optic LOLLYPOP to all my Modules
One by One which include CBX-MEDIA, AMP, KOMBI. But of no avial.

Regarding the CIC unit, it does reboot when I press audio button and hold it 15 seconds
and shows a Red light inside. It does get warm up also as if its working fine but unable to send
video signal to CID.

Finally I bought a CAS emulator setup, by which you can bench test the CIC Unit with CID and
I-drive with the help of ZGW Module. And everything work perfecly fine on bench Test. I am also
attaching the photo of the same.

So my question is how come these units dont work when connected to the car. I am not an
Electronic Engineer, but I am good at working on the BMW. And I need your help to solve
this issue.

By the way I did check and made sure that CID is getting 12v current and also tried to
connect a new low voltage video signal cable between CIC and CID and it still does not work.

Now there are two things about which I am completely unknown. On BMW F02 wiring schematics
I see Flex Ray and K-CAN. ( I see two wires twisted together travelling from CID to ??? )
How to diagnose these connection.
Please your help will be highly appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5455.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	573156   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6394.jpg
Views:	525
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	573157   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6395.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	573158   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6396.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	573159   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l500.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	573160  


Last edited by Farooq; 08-12-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-12-2016, 07:44 PM
paprmkr's Avatar
paprmkr paprmkr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Oxnard, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Hello fellow F01 and F02 owners! I recently took the plunge and sold my beloved E65 which I had owned for around 4 years, we had many ups and downs during my ownership, but it was a fantastic car and the only way forward for me was to purchase an F01. So here I am!

Anyway, during my E65 ownership I retrofitted the OEM rear entertainment package for the benefit of my three children, it was good fun to do and was worth while for long journeys.

Trying to find an F01 in the UK with rear entertainment and the list of must have options for me like soft close doors, HUD, stability control, active steering etc... was incredibly difficult to the point where I gave up!

I decided to take a chance and have a go at retrofitting the RSE mid/Business system to my F01.

I thought I would share in the hope it may inspire others, perhaps a little crazy like myself, to undertake this retrofit!

Some of you may ask, why go to all this trouble? Simple answer is my preference is OEM because it's better integrated. Personally I also like the look of the pre LCI monitors.

I also fitted the basic MID or Business system, the reason for this was because I have three children, the armrest idrive controls used with the professional system would therefore be useless.

Anyway onto the interesting part:

The RSE module mounted inside the back of the centre console in the main control unit for the rear monitors, much like the CIC unit in the dash. It has a single slot loading DVD drive and two CVBS video inputs at the rear for TV and the DVD changer.

The monitors in the seats are connected by LVDS cables that use Fakra HSD connectors

I made the entire retrofit harness myself, However I understand you can purchase it from the dealer with part number 61122154683.

The monitors I bought came with the seat harness which saved me a bit of work, they also came with black seat backs, I have the saddle brown interior, and the black seat backs look great especially hiding dirty marks from the kids shoes! I paid approx. £500 inc shipping for the set from a German breakers.



I purchased ready made 3 meter long HSD cables on eBay that are designed for the combox to USB socket in a E90. They were about $30 each.



I built the harness in the car, the main bulk of it gathers under the centre console, there are two 12V feeds from the rear fuse box, one supplies the RSE module, the other supplies the monitors, a ground wire was run from the centre console to an earth stud behind the rear seat.



Supplies wired to rear fuse box:


The main bulk of the wiring accumulating under the centre console, other than 12V and ground, there are two screened 2 core cables (black), each running to either monitor for the infra red headphone interface, a terminal 58G wire that connects to the FRM module for the interior lighting, and a CVBS cable (grey) from the TV tuner in the boot.





These are all made off to a 20 way MQS connector:



The power connectors I managed to order as samples from Tyco Electronics, BMW does not seem to stock these crimps, only the wire seal version which is incompatible with the MQS housing.





UPDATE:

The following photos show the assembly of the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the RSE unit, I will post part numbers of connectors if anyone wants them.





Complete, just waiting to terminate the MOST fibres:


The entire centre console was removed to gain access to the carpet seams and conduit to run the MOST fibre to the rear of the CIC and the K-CAN, There is a BMW retrofit document for this so I have cheated a little bit and followed some aspects of the document, especially relating to picking up the K-CAN and MOST.

The picture below shows the K-CAN twisted wires being installed under the centre console area:


The K-CAN is spliced to the existing K-CAN wires at the rear of the CIC using the BMW wire connectors, you can also see the MOST fibre coupler in the upper right, this essentially extends the MOST ring to the RSE in the centre console:


Two branches extend from the centre console to the seats, I used a black nylon braid to cover the harnesses such that they look like the OEM ones. The harness simply tucks under the carpet sections as the seam/join for the front and rear carpet sections is directly under the front seats:


Thats pretty much it for the wiring, the terminal 58G interior lighting signal is spliced to the harness connector on the FRM module, the power and ground for the RSE and Monitors are routed under the passenger (RHD) seat and up to the rear of the vehicle.

Thats it for now, I will post more progress shortly!

Stuart
very nice. do you have write up on how to remove all those dash parts and center console? i eventually have to do that myself when i retrofit the NBT system i have in garage. i even have the last RSE system too.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-25-2016, 07:28 AM
abhay abhay is offline
Registered User
Location: india
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: bmw 530d f10
Hi stuart
Neat work that was
Can u help me on my problem?
I hv a bmw 530d msport. F10 with factory fitted rse
Last few days rse continues to reboot and becomes hot
Ista d says it has two errors
Master coding area fault
Permanent resets
Can u help on what cld be problem?
Does rse unit reboot if it heats up?
If so is it that rse module is to b replaced?
Also how is rse connected to hud? Because when i remove 20 pin harness from rse nbt the hud is turned off
Thnx
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-25-2016, 12:17 PM
Se7enUK Se7enUK is offline
Paul
Location: UK
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 40
Mein Auto: BMW 730D MSport
It would scare the crap out of me! I think you have done a fantastic job and love the detail you have gone into on your post.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-03-2016, 07:25 PM
abhay abhay is offline
Registered User
Location: india
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: bmw 530d f10
Hi farooq
Could u get a solution to ur problem?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-30-2017, 04:49 AM
Tjalc86 Tjalc86 is offline
Registered User
Location: lisse
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 525d
BMW F11 LCI also wants aftermarket Rear entertainment screens

How come I don't see any pictures of old posts?

I want to retrofit OEM rear entertainment for my BMW F11 LCI. (new screens) however don't know where to start. I only got the screens and the dvd player. What else do I need?
Wiring, screws, remote control, programming, etc?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM
Marek12 Marek12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Hello fellow F01 and F02 owners! I recently took the plunge and sold my beloved E65 which I had owned for around 4 years, we had many ups and downs during my ownership, but it was a fantastic car and the only way forward for me was to purchase an F01. So here I am!

Anyway, during my E65 ownership I retrofitted the OEM rear entertainment package for the benefit of my three children, it was good fun to do and was worth while for long journeys.

Trying to find an F01 in the UK with rear entertainment and the list of must have options for me like soft close doors, HUD, stability control, active steering etc... was incredibly difficult to the point where I gave up!

I decided to take a chance and have a go at retrofitting the RSE mid/Business system to my F01.

I thought I would share in the hope it may inspire others, perhaps a little crazy like myself, to undertake this retrofit!

Some of you may ask, why go to all this trouble? Simple answer is my preference is OEM because it's better integrated. Personally I also like the look of the pre LCI monitors.

I also fitted the basic MID or Business system, the reason for this was because I have three children, the armrest idrive controls used with the professional system would therefore be useless.

Anyway onto the interesting part:

The RSE module mounted inside the back of the centre console in the main control unit for the rear monitors, much like the CIC unit in the dash. It has a single slot loading DVD drive and two CVBS video inputs at the rear for TV and the DVD changer.

The monitors in the seats are connected by LVDS cables that use Fakra HSD connectors

I made the entire retrofit harness myself, However I understand you can purchase it from the dealer with part number 61122154683.

The monitors I bought came with the seat harness which saved me a bit of work, they also came with black seat backs, I have the saddle brown interior, and the black seat backs look great especially hiding dirty marks from the kids shoes! I paid approx. £500 inc shipping for the set from a German breakers.



I purchased ready made 3 meter long HSD cables on eBay that are designed for the combox to USB socket in a E90. They were about $30 each.



I built the harness in the car, the main bulk of it gathers under the centre console, there are two 12V feeds from the rear fuse box, one supplies the RSE module, the other supplies the monitors, a ground wire was run from the centre console to an earth stud behind the rear seat.



Supplies wired to rear fuse box:


The main bulk of the wiring accumulating under the centre console, other than 12V and ground, there are two screened 2 core cables (black), each running to either monitor for the infra red headphone interface, a terminal 58G wire that connects to the FRM module for the interior lighting, and a CVBS cable (grey) from the TV tuner in the boot.





These are all made off to a 20 way MQS connector:



The power connectors I managed to order as samples from Tyco Electronics, BMW does not seem to stock these crimps, only the wire seal version which is incompatible with the MQS housing.





UPDATE:

The following photos show the assembly of the wiring harness that plugs into the back of the RSE unit, I will post part numbers of connectors if anyone wants them.





Complete, just waiting to terminate the MOST fibres:


The entire centre console was removed to gain access to the carpet seams and conduit to run the MOST fibre to the rear of the CIC and the K-CAN, There is a BMW retrofit document for this so I have cheated a little bit and followed some aspects of the document, especially relating to picking up the K-CAN and MOST.

The picture below shows the K-CAN twisted wires being installed under the centre console area:


The K-CAN is spliced to the existing K-CAN wires at the rear of the CIC using the BMW wire connectors, you can also see the MOST fibre coupler in the upper right, this essentially extends the MOST ring to the RSE in the centre console:


Two branches extend from the centre console to the seats, I used a black nylon braid to cover the harnesses such that they look like the OEM ones. The harness simply tucks under the carpet sections as the seam/join for the front and rear carpet sections is directly under the front seats:


Thats pretty much it for the wiring, the terminal 58G interior lighting signal is spliced to the harness connector on the FRM module, the power and ground for the RSE and Monitors are routed under the passenger (RHD) seat and up to the rear of the vehicle.

Thats it for now, I will post more progress shortly!

Stuart


Hello Stuart. Iím looking for help with connection RSE for BMW F11, 2011. I have 3 wires from MQS housing and I donít know where to connect them Click image for larger version

Name:	fba2ce9c-d1a3-44b0-add7-509b86093de1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	861015 I have already connected 2 monitors and power just left another 3 and question is where they going. Question 2: can I connect power monitors to rear lighter brown and redClick image for larger version

Name:	DDE8CA93-B78B-44F9-83AB-5D8941CC7CF8.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	861017Click image for larger version

Name:	21ACBF76-D122-43BC-980A-8F28855C5A81.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	861019 thank you


Wys***322;ane z iPhone za pomoc***261; Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
stuartjohn24 stuartjohn24 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chippenham, Wiltshire, UK
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 830
Mein Auto: BMW F01
The three black ones, each with 3 wires? they are video inputs, from the tv tuner and DVD changer. I would check the BMW WDS to be sure.

Stuart
__________________
2008 F01 - Sophistograu with Saddle Brown Leather
Retrofits:
Night Vision, Digital TV, Heated M-Sport Steering Wheel + Paddles, Combox, 6NF Baseplate, 6NR Apps, Rear Entertainment System, Automatic Boot Close and Surround View Cameras.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-12-2019, 01:29 PM
Marek12 Marek12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
F01 Rear Seat Entertainment Retrofit - OEM RSE

Thank you so much Stuart. If you can send me schematic I will be very Pressured

Last edited by Marek12; 08-13-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-17-2019, 08:50 AM
Marek12 Marek12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
The three black ones, each with 3 wires? they are video inputs, from the tv tuner and DVD changer. I would check the BMW WDS to be sure.



Stuart


Hello Stuart. Please help me with connection RSE if you have time. I have one grey/White lead PIN number 9 dvd connector and pins 1,11,12. If you know where to connect them I will be great fully. Thank you so much Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2628.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	861465


Wys***322;ane z iPhone za pomoc***261; Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 08-17-2019, 05:50 PM
HerbP HerbP is offline
Super Moderator
Location: Georgia
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 6,748
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek12 View Post
Hello Stuart. Please help me with connection RSE if you have time. I have one grey/White lead PIN number 9 dvd connector and pins 1,11,12. If you know where to connect them I will be great fully. Thank you so much Attachment 861465


Wys***322;ane z iPhone za pomoc***261; Tapatalk
Here is a link to all of the repair/TIS documents & wiring diagrams that you might need. Tweak the data for your year model.

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...epair-manuals/
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Marek12 Marek12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 4
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Here is a link to all of the repair/TIS documents & wiring diagrams that you might need. Tweak the data for your year model.



https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...epair-manuals/


Thank you


Wys***322;ane z iPhone za pomoc***261; Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - 2015)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.