2017 550ix GT Tires - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo - 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 550i M-Sport xDrive
2017 550ix GT Tires

My 2017 550ix GT just broke 11,000 miles and the rear tires are about gone. This brings up a few questions that I hope can be answered.
  • It is normal for this car to get 11,000 miles on rear tires?
  • The car now has Pirelli Zero 275/35R20XL on the back and Pirelli Zero 245/40R20XL n the front. Should aI continue with the same tire?
  • I've read some threads about going to regular tires vs. "run flat tires", such as I have on it now. What's is recommended for this vehicle.

Thank you for all your help.
2017 550i GT, Twin-Turbo V-8, Jet Black Exterior, Executive Pkg, M-Sport, Luxury Seating Pkg, Bang & Olufsen Sound, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance, All Wheel Drive, Bluetooth Connection, Cooled Front Seat(s), Heated Front Seat(s), Leather Seats, Auxiliary Audio Input, CD Player, Dual Moonroof, Heated Rear Seat(s), Multi-Zone A/C, Back-Up Camera, Chrome Wheels, Generic Sun/Moonroof, Keyless Start, Navigation System

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
The 550 GT is a heavy, high torque car that people tend to utilize because it is fun. So, low mileage on especially the rear tires (even on an all-wheel drive vehicle) isn't all that unusual. The wear factor is only 220. One way a performance tire achieves its properties is that it often starts out with a shallower tread depth than less responsive tires (i.e., there's less tread squirm).

The ride will change if you go with a traditional tire. It's up to you whether you want to then carry around a spare in the back or risk the issue of being stranded somewhere.

Michelin has some run on flat tires. These tend to be better riding than a full RFT. They differ in that the distance you can safely drive with a flat is dependent on the weight of the loaded vehicle - it could be the full 50-miles, it could be a lot less if the car is full, but at least you could still safely drive it at least for awhile.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: '14 535iGT xDrive
Here's an idea. Ditch the run flats as I did and just join AAA. My '14 535i GT xDrive had the Michelin rf's on it when I bought it used that were nearing the end of their useful life (still had a couple 32's to go to the wear bars) So much so, in fact, that they sounded more like Super Swampers than Michelins, and ,quite frankly, I truly hated the way they rode. Almost immediately, as in within 2 or 3 miles I could tell the difference. Drastic improvement in the ride quality and noise all but vanished. As a bonus, the Contis I had put on have a 70k treadwear warranty, and I paid another $35 per for the Discount Tire warranty, so future hazard damage is covered as well as rotations and balancing. And speaking of Discount Tire, are you aware of the fact that they will repair a flat for free, even if you did not buy the tires from them? All you have to do is get the tire to them and they will dismount it, patch it properly, remount & rebalance, and , if driven in, reinstall it , all for nada. That is precisely what earned them my business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 550i M-Sport xDrive
Yesterday I decided to stop by BMW to discuss tires. They told me I might have I have 1,000 miles left and a set of 4 tires would run me $1600. I reminded them that the car only has 11,000 miles on it. They said that it was because it had "high speed" tires on it and that I could expect to need a new set every 12k miles! That's about $0.13/mile just for the tires. Ridiculous.

So, I'm shopping for a pair of 245/40 R 20 for the front and another pair of 275/35 R 20's for the rear.

Thank you all for helping.
2017 550i GT, Twin-Turbo V-8, Jet Black Exterior, Executive Pkg, M-Sport, Luxury Seating Pkg, Bang & Olufsen Sound, Cold Weather Pkg, Driver Assistance, All Wheel Drive, Bluetooth Connection, Cooled Front Seat(s), Heated Front Seat(s), Leather Seats, Auxiliary Audio Input, CD Player, Dual Moonroof, Heated Rear Seat(s), Multi-Zone A/C, Back-Up Camera, Chrome Wheels, Generic Sun/Moonroof, Keyless Start, Navigation System

Old 08-15-2019, 01:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT; i3 BEV
Look at the wear rating for the tires you have (the number is molded into the sidewall). Bet it's in the 200 range. Throw in the weight and power of the GT, and you will not get great mileage out of them. Performance costs. Now, most people don't use the performance their tires can provide, but if you do, you may not be satisfied with something less.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
2017 550ix, run flat tires, standard tires

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - 2017)
Today's Posts Search