Bmw vs Tesla - Page 7 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)

F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
The sixth generation of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) was produced from 2011 - 2016 with LCI updates arriving in 2014. In the US BMW offered a hatchback 5 Series Gran Truismo (F07) and the rest of the world also go a Station Wagon/Touring version F11.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:21 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
A Trailer Full Of Burnt Teslas Found Mysteriously Parked On I-80 In Nevada
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #152  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:32 PM
SAABN SAABN is offline
Registered User
Location: massachusetts
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
You can't call them a safe car when there have been multiple crash and ***x1f525; explosions. Just recently in Europe
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:54 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABN View Post
You can't call them a safe car when there have been multiple crash and ***x1f525; explosions. Just recently in Europe
"BMW and Audi combined had 9 driver fatalities in nearly 900,000 vehicle years. Clearly, 11 Tesla driver fatalities in 265,000 vehicle years is not a good start. But even those numbers likely understate the danger of driving a Tesla."
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 PM
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
ezaircon4jc ezaircon4jc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,306
Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
...They're producing cars that are ... environmentally friendly...
Unless you take into consideration the manufacturing process. Manufacturing the batteries is very environmentally unfriendly (as well as disposal of used batteries).


Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
You are comical at best, so when you look at your Idrive your eyes donít leave the road? You must have a special 535I compared to mine. Because I have to look down to change temp and change the radio. Iím mad now I must have purchased the crappy 535i that doesnít have all the modern features that yours has. Lol

The idea of the giant screen is it makes it much easier to see what your looking for and faster to adjust which makes it safer than looking at the small idrive screen. But hey donít give up keep digging for more stones to throw.
I can EASILY change the temp without looking and use the voice commands for just about anything else. I also have the HUD (which I assume the Tesla has). Once I learned the iDrive (granted, it is a STEEP learning curve) I can pretty much make any selection I need while driving without looking. Looking down at a screen whilst driving is tantamount to texting while driving. Phone or touchscreen, a distraction is a distraction.

My beef is with a touchscreen no matter the manufacturer (I know the G30 has a touchscreen). If Tesla has voice controls for the major functions like radio and NAV then I sit corrected.

Like I said, I'm just a skeptical old curmudgeon.
__________________

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:13 PM
mull6's Avatar
mull6 mull6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 490
Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Unless you take into consideration the manufacturing process. Manufacturing the batteries is very environmentally unfriendly (as well as disposal of used batteries).




I can EASILY change the temp without looking and use the voice commands for just about anything else. I also have the HUD (which I assume the Tesla has). Once I learned the iDrive (granted, it is a STEEP learning curve) I can pretty much make any selection I need while driving without looking. Looking down at a screen whilst driving is tantamount to texting while driving. Phone or touchscreen, a distraction is a distraction.

My beef is with a touchscreen no matter the manufacturer (I know the G30 has a touchscreen). If Tesla has voice controls for the major functions like radio and NAV then I sit corrected.

Like I said, I'm just a skeptical old curmudgeon.
Yes my Tesla does have voice command.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:20 PM
mull6's Avatar
mull6 mull6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 490
Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABN View Post
You can't call them a safe car when there have been multiple crash and ***x1f525; explosions. Just recently in Europe
How about this safety report?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9E3522F0-9775-497F-B656-D0291CDF3CB6.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	861287  
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:50 PM
FurryOne FurryOne is offline
What's this thingie do...
Location: Rome, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
I take it you didn't read the comments section on that article, which basically called it junk science from someone that has probably shorted Tesla stock, or is just a crappy statistician.
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:56 PM
FurryOne FurryOne is offline
What's this thingie do...
Location: Rome, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
How about this safety report?
England had it's Luddites who rallied against the Industrial Revolution. The US has it's Luddites that are rallying against the conversion to non fossil fuel technologies. What's next?... Holding up a gas pump and saying 'From my cold, dead hands?"
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:59 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryOne View Post
I take it you didn't read the comments section on that article, which basically called it junk science from someone that has probably shorted Tesla stock, or is just a crappy statistician.
Statistics was from the government, comments were Musk's.

Last edited by iklo; 08-14-2019 at 08:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old 08-14-2019, 08:05 PM
mull6's Avatar
mull6 mull6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 490
Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryOne View Post
England had it's Luddites who rallied against the Industrial Revolution. The US has it's Luddites that are rallying against the conversion to non fossil fuel technologies. What's next?... Holding up a gas pump and saying 'From my cold, dead hands?"
Lol.
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:42 AM
FurryOne FurryOne is offline
What's this thingie do...
Location: Rome, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by iklo View Post
Statistics was from the government, comments were Musk's.
Like I said - read the comments, which destroy his cherry-picked "statistics"
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 08-15-2019, 04:44 AM
FurryOne FurryOne is offline
What's this thingie do...
Location: Rome, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
Lol.
I forgot to add "While smoking a cigarette."
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old 08-15-2019, 11:14 AM
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
ezaircon4jc ezaircon4jc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 3,306
Mein Auto: 2014 535i M Sport
HmmmmmÖ..

https://www.valuewalk.com/2019/05/te...while-driving/

And the "positive" is access to the internet?
__________________

Mike
2014 535i M Sport, Carbon Black/Black (mine)
2012 535i, Dark Graphite II/Oyster (wife's)
Joshua 24:15; Phil 4:13
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-535i-lim/
Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old 08-15-2019, 12:15 PM
iklo iklo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Rancho Bernardo, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 496
Mein Auto: 14 535i M-Sport 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryOne View Post
Like I said - read the comments, which destroy his cherry-picked "statistics"
Sure, comments destroyed statistics and shorts destroying stock of such a great enterprise.

Last edited by iklo; 08-15-2019 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 PM
Misterbee Misterbee is offline
Registered User
Location: Culver City
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 5
Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 3.0i
Blows up real good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABN View Post
You can't call them a safe car when there have been multiple crash and ***x1f525; explosions. Just recently in Europe
This is hilarious, if you read Swedish. If you donít, the gist is that BMW is recalling a buttload of cars because they are likely to go up in flames: https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/va...AeFHncmTLWbiys
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:03 PM
mull6's Avatar
mull6 mull6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 490
Mein Auto: bmw 528i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterbee View Post
This is hilarious, if you read Swedish. If you don't, the gist is that BMW is recalling a buttload of cars because they are likely to go up in flames: https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/va...AeFHncmTLWbiys

It seems like I only hear bad things about Tesla's, there are definitely a lot of haters out there and people that want to see Tesla fail for some reason.
I've only owned a Tesla for a few weeks so I will have a lot better idea in a year or two if they are a very good car, but so far my wife and I love this car. But the real test is how dependable it is and the maintenance cost.

Last edited by mull6; 08-16-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old 08-17-2019, 04:12 AM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,375
Mein Auto: 2016 535d
I don't know if this video was posted yet, but it brings an enthusiast perspective to a very expensive model 3 including an autocross:

I can see how the auto-pilot feature can be problematic in fringe situations such as me falling asleep easily or just basically getting lulled into complacency - I would end up using it only on limited access, clean roads for example.
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old 08-18-2019, 08:18 AM
Chuck W.'s Avatar
Chuck W. Chuck W. is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,195
Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post

I can see how the auto-pilot feature can be problematic in fringe situations such as me falling asleep easily or just basically getting lulled into complacency - I would end up using it only on limited access, clean roads for example.
My son has a 2017 Tesla S 100D he purchased new. He uses the auto-pilot regularly in Los Angeles traffic without issue. One night in light traffic while on the freeway with the auto-pilot engaged another vehicle realized they were missing their off ramp and cut across several lanes nearly colliding with my son's Tesla. According to my son he had no time to react; but the Tesla broke hard and swerved in order to avoid a collision. My son said was amazed at how quickly the Tesla reacted and the fact the car was able to maintain control with such an evasive maneuver at speed. Sounds pretty cool.
__________________
2016 BMW M2 - ED Pick Up on 07/12/2016; US Pick Up on 09/22/2016
2012 BMW 535I - ED Pick Up on 12/03/2011; US Pick Up on 01/27/1012
1995 Porsche 993 Cab

1997 Porsche 993 Turbo Ė Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Cab - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:18 AM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,375
Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
My son has a 2017 Tesla S 100D he purchased new. He uses the auto-pilot regularly in Los Angeles traffic without issue. One night in light traffic while on the freeway with the auto-pilot engaged another vehicle realized they were missing their off ramp and cut across several lanes nearly colliding with my son's Tesla. According to my son he had no time to react; but the Tesla broke hard and swerved in order to avoid a collision. My son said was amazed at how quickly the Tesla reacted and the fact the car was able to maintain control with such an evasive maneuver at speed. Sounds pretty cool.
Its reassuring to a certain extent to see that the autopilot does what it obviously should do. What I'm worried about is road irregularities not easily discerned by the computer one way or another, as well as the complacency that comes with such a system that would put many to sleep at the wheel. Its not the tech that bothers me, its the hype one way or the other.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:28 AM
samadkins29's Avatar
samadkins29 samadkins29 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,652
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Its reassuring to a certain extent to see that the autopilot does what it obviously should do. What I'm worried about is road irregularities not easily discerned by the computer one way or another, as well as the complacency that comes with such a system that would put many to sleep at the wheel. Its not the tech that bothers me, its the hype one way or the other.
Humans seem to do a pretty good job at falling asleep behind the wheel of a car we are supposed to be in control of. Auto pilot will save countless more lives than it would ever put in danger. Were just in the infancy stages of autonomous driving.
__________________
2011 535i
2003 745li (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:50 AM
Chuck W.'s Avatar
Chuck W. Chuck W. is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Agoura Hills (LA) CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,195
Mein Auto: 12 BMW 535I MS Alpine Wht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
Its reassuring to a certain extent to see that the autopilot does what it obviously should do. What I'm worried about is road irregularities not easily discerned by the computer one way or another, as well as the complacency that comes with such a system that would put many to sleep at the wheel. Its not the tech that bothers me, its the hype one way or the other.
Can't agree more. At this point I would not trust my life or my passengers lives to the auto pilot without oversight.
__________________
2016 BMW M2 - ED Pick Up on 07/12/2016; US Pick Up on 09/22/2016
2012 BMW 535I - ED Pick Up on 12/03/2011; US Pick Up on 01/27/1012
1995 Porsche 993 Cab

1997 Porsche 993 Turbo Ė Sold
1997 Porsche 993 Cab - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Sold
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:51 AM
Pierre Louis Pierre Louis is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: US
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,375
Mein Auto: 2016 535d
Quote:
Originally Posted by samadkins29 View Post
Humans seem to do a pretty good job at falling asleep behind the wheel of a car we are supposed to be in control of. Auto pilot will save countless more lives than it would ever put in danger. Were just in the infancy stages of autonomous driving.
We shall see. I don't think sleeping at the wheel is safe in any circumstance and that autopilot will make this more common than it already is. The same goes for DUI. I'd go as far as theorizing that alcoholics, which comprise approximately 10% of all demographic groups, favor autonomous driving.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:01 AM
samadkins29's Avatar
samadkins29 samadkins29 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,652
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Louis View Post
We shall see. I don't think sleeping at the wheel is safe in any circumstance and that autopilot will make this more common than it already is. The same goes for DUI. I'd go as far as theorizing that alcoholics, which comprise approximately 10% of all demographic groups, favor autonomous driving.
I'd agree - I dont personally plan to sleep with autonomous driving. In fact I really only want to kick it on while in stop n go traffic on the freeway.

That being said, there is a big difference between being drunk or sleeping behind a wheel that you are 100% supposed to be in control of and being behind one that is driving for you.

AutoPilot crashes/fails due to system issues (which any system at this stage would be at - thats why billions are being put into companies testing autonomous driving). But being realistic - Id prefer drunk people and sleepy people to be behind a car driving itself than them being in control. (Not that I want either on the road - but people are people)
__________________
2011 535i
2003 745li (Sold)


Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old 08-18-2019, 02:26 PM
FurryOne FurryOne is offline
What's this thingie do...
Location: Rome, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
HmmmmmÖ..

And the "positive" is access to the internet?
Not allowed while the vehicle is in motion.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old 08-18-2019, 02:31 PM
FurryOne FurryOne is offline
What's this thingie do...
Location: Rome, NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2001 530i, 1985 325e
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
Can't agree more. At this point I would not trust my life or my passengers lives to the auto pilot without oversight.
Autopilot will not allow you to do something like go to sleep, it reminds you every so often to have your hand(s on the wheel for input of it will disengage. I use mine frequently, and if anything, it overly cautious.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - 2016)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.