LM2 upgrade questions - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto:
LM2 upgrade questions

Hi guys. I just upgraded to LM2 for angel eye as drl option. I was following a guide I found for the coding procedure to update LMA and VIN. I am unable to find the AHL_LM2.prg file on my PC. And I cannot edit the VIN in the canned file that came with NCS. Also, I'm getting new lamp errors that I wasn't getting before. My turn signals have been flashing fast since I bought the car 2 months ago, showing R and L front turn signal bulb errors. But now I also get rear turn signal bulb errors, as well as brake light lamps when I press the brake pedal. I'm thinking this might be due to coding, but the only info I can find online is about cleaning/replacing bulb sockets. Seems to me that this is not the problem. I have replaced all faulty bulbs.

Another problem I found is that the CAS VIN doesn't match the car VIN. I know I'm very much new to this, and the language barrier doesn't help since tool32 is in German, but I stumbled through it. Would anyone be willing to help me remotely and show my a thing or two? I know a few guys have mentioned doing this for a little fee. If not, please help me figure out which fields I should me looking at and which modules.

But I did get my angel eye option to work, sigh, lol

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: E63 645ci
If this was me I'd put the LM1 back in temporarily and undo any coding you've done to the CAS to confirm your bulb changes have fixed the fast flashing, you want a known good lighting configuration to start on before upgrading to the LM2, that way you know that any problems after the new LM is just coding issues and not faults on the car.
Has your car had a replacement CAS from another car? This is the only way I can see the CAS module would have a different VIN from that of your car in which case this might even be the thing that's stopping you from seeing the AHL_LM2 file, however, I'd ensure your software is as up to date as possible as this too can cause problems.
You should be able to change the VIN in the CAS using either tool32 or Winkfp and would be done in just the same way as the LM2.
Once you've got your car squared away in it's original form and everything works as it should then you can go ahead and fit the LM2 as any lighting differences from here on are going to be down to the coding setup.
I'm not sure which guide your following but I used the "LM Module upgrade" in the DIY section https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sh....php?t=1155649, this is a complete guide from start to finish and includes how to change VIN's.

The "Coding and Programming" forum on here is another good source of info for this type of thing.

Neal.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:09 AM

Mein Auto:
Thanks for your input!

I pulled the configs for CAS and LMA last night to look them over. The VIN now matches CAS, which is odd because I didn't feel I achieved that the day before. however, it still does not match the VIN plate on the car. I just bought it 2 months ago, and the seller lied to me about many things about the car, so I am not surprised I am seeing this discrepancy.

Anyway, the errors that remain are:

Left Brake Lamp Malfunction (only when brake is pressed)
Right Brake Lamp Malfunction (when brake is pressed but at start as well, only sometimes)
Left Rear Turn Signal Malfunction (1st signal blink is long, then flasher is fast)
Right Rear Turn Signal Malfunction (1st blink is long, rest is fast)
High Beam Assistant Malfunction

I have been trying to find exactly which parameters need to be changed/checked for those bulbs, but cannot find the correct fields. The biggest roadblock I have is not knowing which module and which fields to look into and edit to test settings.

Also, my AHL are aimed too low. when they initialize, i can see the side to side and up and down movement and return to 'zero', but the lights need to be adjusted to point up quite a bit more...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2019, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 5
There are screws in the headlights you can turn to move them up or down.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markst View Post
There are screws in the headlights you can turn to move them up or down.
They were good before the module change...
Old 08-13-2019, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci, 14 750 M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginomachino View Post
Thanks for your input!

I pulled the configs for CAS and LMA last night to look them over. The VIN now matches CAS, which is odd because I didn't feel I achieved that the day before. however, it still does not match the VIN plate on the car. I just bought it 2 months ago, and the seller lied to me about many things about the car, so I am not surprised I am seeing this discrepancy.

Anyway, the errors that remain are:

Left Brake Lamp Malfunction (only when brake is pressed)
Right Brake Lamp Malfunction (when brake is pressed but at start as well, only sometimes)
Left Rear Turn Signal Malfunction (1st signal blink is long, then flasher is fast)
Right Rear Turn Signal Malfunction (1st blink is long, rest is fast)
High Beam Assistant Malfunction

I have been trying to find exactly which parameters need to be changed/checked for those bulbs, but cannot find the correct fields. The biggest roadblock I have is not knowing which module and which fields to look into and edit to test settings.

Also, my AHL are aimed too low. when they initialize, i can see the side to side and up and down movement and return to 'zero', but the lights need to be adjusted to point up quite a bit more...
Use a blankman file to put everything back to a default mode to see if that helps. Rename your current file before doing that, & compare them afterwards. Below are some files that might help what you are looking for?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW E Series Coding - Features List.pdf (88.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: pdf BMW E Series Coding.pdf (283.9 KB, 8 views)
Old 08-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto:
defaulted LMA and everything is working with no errors!!! coded my preferences and I am happy with my lights, for now... what a learning experience this has been LOL

only a few "small" issues remain -

PDC gives an error
convertible top has a wiring issue, which shows up as intermittent inability to completely close the top.
engine smokes after idling. i checked the CCV and the diaphragms are good, there is a valve seal job in my near future
Then suspension needs a bit of attention and new absorbers

Thanks for your help guys!!!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Glad that helped solve one of your problems. The PDC problem is usually a bad wiring harness which becomes very brittle over time. You can engage the PDC system & hold your finger on each sensor for a few seconds. You should feel a slight thump if the sensor is working. If someone has applied fresh paint over the sensor, it will not work then as well. If you replace the sensor, they must be already pre-painted,or used the same color.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto:
None of the sensors are making sound / vibration. i will check power to the PDC unit and order a replacement
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Did you activate the PDC button, then feel each sensor? There will only be a faint thump at the sensor if it is working. Usually the front & rear systems do not fail at the same time. If you install a different module, it will most likely need to be programmed to the car. It is rare that the module fails. If you mean an audible sound inside the car, check the IDrive settings to see if the system is turned off?
Old 08-13-2019, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto:
I watched a video on youtube that showed the sensors making an audible clicking sound. mine are completely dead, front and back
Old 08-13-2019, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto:
am i reading this correctly, i can enable dvd playback on an e64?
Old 08-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginomachino View Post
I watched a video on youtube that showed the sensors making an audible clicking sound. mine are completely dead, front and back
Check fuse 64 in the trunk to see if it is ok. You can do video playback if it is coded.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have DIS or ISTA?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:28 PM

Mein Auto:
INPA / NCS expert
Old 08-15-2019, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Go to the coding section here on the forum & download ISTA. This will get you to the most recent version of BMW software, & much easier to use. Esys is the newest coding tool.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search