M550 668M Wheels - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums



Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)

G30 (2017 - Current)
The next generation 5 Series, chassis code G30, arrives at dealers in February 2017. Looking like a scaled down 7 Series and riding on the CLAR platform, the new 5 Series will have a focus on lightweight and sporty performance. Engines options will come from BMW's new B family for the 530 and 540 and a turbocharged V8 for the M550i. Read more about the 2017 5 Series

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-14-2019, 07:36 PM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: 2018 M550I. XDrive
M550 668M Wheels

Is it possible to put tires with taller sidewalls on these wheels and if so, what size? I have had 8 blowouts in one year and I don't want the 19 inch wheels.
__________________
2018 M550I XDrive, Sapphire Black/Mocha Nappa Leather/Dynamic Handling/Executive/Leather Dashboard/Dynamic Digital Cluster/Driver Assistant/Cold Weather/Parking Assistance/Luxury.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 PM
rraisley rraisley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
What size wheels do you have now? Realize that taller sidewalls, even by 10%, will increase your tire's outside diameter by about 2", making speedometer off by about 7%, 7% less torque to the road, possible clearance issues, etc. You normally have to go to a smaller wheel diameter: each 1" in diameter allowing you to add 5% to the profile ratio, without changing diameter much.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-14-2019, 08:41 PM
gigantor gigantor is offline
Registered User
Location: Tri-State
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 18 M550
It's possible but not recommended. Going from 30 to 35 rears and 35 to 40 fronts not going to prevent blowouts. Do you have RFT's?

You can compare sizes here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
__________________
18 - M550
15 - 550ix (gone)
12 - 550ix (gone)
09 - 550i (gone)

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
George Carlin
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 08-14-2019, 08:54 PM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: 2018 M550I. XDrive
Thank you. I have the very low profile 20 inch wheels now. I might have to look for some blacked out 19 inch wheels.
__________________
2018 M550I XDrive, Sapphire Black/Mocha Nappa Leather/Dynamic Handling/Executive/Leather Dashboard/Dynamic Digital Cluster/Driver Assistant/Cold Weather/Parking Assistance/Luxury.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2019, 09:01 AM
rraisley rraisley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantor View Post
It's possible but not recommended. Going from 30 to 35 rears and 35 to 40 fronts not going to prevent blowouts. Do you have RFT's?

You can compare sizes here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
LOVE the calculator; thanks for the post. I was using a spreadsheet I made up.

I won't disagree with the difference going from 30 to 35, and 35 to 40, yet that small change is the right change for going from 20" wheels to 19". Cars designed for low profile tires are just going to end up with low profile tires. OP could go to 40 front and 45 rears with 18" tires, but I'm not sure he'll like the look of the result. We're all atuned to these new low profile tires, which look and handle fantastic, but ride and durability are something else.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2019, 01:29 PM
gigantor gigantor is offline
Registered User
Location: Tri-State
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 69
Mein Auto: 18 M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
LOVE the calculator; thanks for the post. I was using a spreadsheet I made up.

I won't disagree with the difference going from 30 to 35, and 35 to 40, yet that small change is the right change for going from 20" wheels to 19". Cars designed for low profile tires are just going to end up with low profile tires. OP could go to 40 front and 45 rears with 18" tires, but I'm not sure he'll like the look of the result. We're all atuned to these new low profile tires, which look and handle fantastic, but ride and durability are something else.
Nooooo, no way OP swaps those 20" beauties for 18"s. Plus I'm no sure there are many 18" which will fit over sports brakes on 550.
__________________
18 - M550
15 - 550ix (gone)
12 - 550ix (gone)
09 - 550i (gone)

"Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."
George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2019, 07:49 AM
bymep2 bymep2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 6
Mein Auto:
lot of discussion about this on the other forum...

search "Am I okay running 245/40/20 and 275/35/20"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-2019, 08:11 AM
Warp Ten's Avatar
Warp Ten Warp Ten is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lake Bluff IL
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 138
Mein Auto: 2019 540xi, 2016 Z06
You might talk with some folks at Tire Rack. They are usually very helpful to customers with all kinds of questions, and may well have experience with other customers asking the some questions. Smaller wheels and taller tires would help and if done right could keep the rolling diameter the same as your stock sizes. It is done all the time with snow tire/wheel packages. Note that formula One cars use small wheels and tall tires to be an active part of the suspension, which is otherwise very stiff. From F1 when the increase tire widths in 2017:

So the new sizes for slick tyres will be 305/670-13 at the front and 405/670-13 at the rear (the total diameter will go from the current 660mm to 670mm). Wheel rim diameter remains unchanged at 13 inches. Note: 13 in wheels and a 670 aspect ratio! --Bob
__________________
2019 540xi M Sport, Carbon Black/Cognac, 2014 328xi, 2016 Corvette Z06; Previous:2010 BMW 535xi M Sport, Carbon BLack/Natural Brown, 2008 335xi, 1998 M3 Sedan,1980 530i, 1977 320i, 1976 2002 BMWCCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-16-2019, 10:16 AM
rraisley rraisley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp Ten View Post
Note that formula One cars use small wheels and tall tires to be an active part of the suspension, which is otherwise very stiff. From F1 when the increase tire widths in 2017:

So the new sizes for slick tyres will be 305/670-13 at the front and 405/670-13 at the rear (the total diameter will go from the current 660mm to 670mm). Wheel rim diameter remains unchanged at 13 inches. Note: 13 in wheels and a 670 aspect ratio! --Bob
For anyone else who, like me, did not understand this tire description (where tire size is /usually/ WWW/RR-DD where WWW is width in mm, RR is aspect ratio in %, and DD is wheel diameter in inches, these F1 tires are WWW/OOO-DD where WWW is width in mm, OOO is OUTSIDE DIAMETER in mm (NOT aspect ratio), and DD is wheel diameter in inches. For reference, the calculated aspect ratios for each would be:

(670 mm - 13 x 25.4 mm) / 2 = 169.9mm section height / 305 width = 56 aspect ratio front.
{670 mm - 13 x 25.4 mm) / 2 - 169.9mm section height / 405 width - 42 aspect ratio rear.

I was a little surprised that the rear tires are the same diameter as the front. Somehow, they looked larger to me (in addition to being wider).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-16-2019, 11:54 AM
Warp Ten's Avatar
Warp Ten Warp Ten is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Lake Bluff IL
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 138
Mein Auto: 2019 540xi, 2016 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraisley View Post
For anyone else who, like me, did not understand this tire description (where tire size is /usually/ WWW/RR-DD where WWW is width in mm, RR is aspect ratio in %, and DD is wheel diameter in inches, these F1 tires are WWW/OOO-DD where WWW is width in mm, OOO is OUTSIDE DIAMETER in mm (NOT aspect ratio), and DD is wheel diameter in inches. For reference, the calculated aspect ratios for each would be:

(670 mm - 13 x 25.4 mm) / 2 = 169.9mm section height / 305 width = 56 aspect ratio front.
{670 mm - 13 x 25.4 mm) / 2 - 169.9mm section height / 405 width - 42 aspect ratio rear.

I was a little surprised that the rear tires are the same diameter as the front. Somehow, they looked larger to me (in addition to being wider).
Apologies; you are right on the aspect ratio. I wasn't thinking fast enough and didn't bother to check the number. The rears do look larger; probably just the section width that creates that illusion. When they do slow motion shots of cars going over the curbs you can really see how much flex they have, both up and down and side to side. --Bob
__________________
2019 540xi M Sport, Carbon Black/Cognac, 2014 328xi, 2016 Corvette Z06; Previous:2010 BMW 535xi M Sport, Carbon BLack/Natural Brown, 2008 335xi, 1998 M3 Sedan,1980 530i, 1977 320i, 1976 2002 BMWCCA Member
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-16-2019, 01:43 PM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,639
Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantor View Post
It's possible but not recommended. Going from 30 to 35 rears and 35 to 40 fronts not going to prevent blowouts. Do you have RFT's?

You can compare sizes here: https://tiresize.com/calculator/
I find it hard to believe that taller sidewalls will not help reduce the chances of blowouts. You have more sidewall to absorb the impact.
__________________
2017 BMW 540 M-Sport Carbon Black/Ivory
2016 Lexus GX 460---Wife's car
Bikes...2017 Yamaha FJR1300---2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT---2012 Ducati Panigale
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-16-2019, 02:59 PM
rraisley rraisley is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I find it hard to believe that taller sidewalls will not help reduce the chances of blowouts. You have more sidewall to absorb the impact.
I agree, it has to HELP. Put it this way, any impact that will blow a 40 aspect ratio will certainly blow a 35 AR. But probably not every impact that will blow a 35, will blow a 40. We never know what impact we'll get, or what the actual result will be. I hit a curb at high speed in my GTI, with 40 AR low profile tires, and while it didn't blow, and luckily didn't bend the wheel, it messed up the sidewall and ended up with a hell of a big blister on the side, requiring replacement. Sometimes just a little improvement is all we need.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-17-2019, 04:47 PM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: 2018 M550I. XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I find it hard to believe that taller sidewalls will not help reduce the chances of blowouts. You have more sidewall to absorb the impact.
Correct. I rented a Macan turbo from Turo and it had 21 inch wheels which plowed through the same potholes that took my car out.
__________________
2018 M550I XDrive, Sapphire Black/Mocha Nappa Leather/Dynamic Handling/Executive/Leather Dashboard/Dynamic Digital Cluster/Driver Assistant/Cold Weather/Parking Assistance/Luxury.

Last edited by jagu; 08-17-2019 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-18-2019, 09:46 AM
aceman67 aceman67 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 452
Mein Auto: MB E500 4matic
Question - I know JAG doesn't want 19's, but aren't the 668's out now on some other BMW models in 19" flavor - would they fit on the 5er?
And for you tire guys - are the blowouts b/c they are run flats with the stiff sidewall? If he switches to non runflats will that make a measurable difference?

Aceman
__________________
2012 550iX Alpine White, M-Sport, CW PKG, SAT, HUD, PREM SOUND, SUR VIEW CAMERAS
Mods: OEM Spoiler, 35% tint, Front/Rear Mud guards
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:01 AM
jagu's Avatar
jagu jagu is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 3,199
Mein Auto: 2018 M550I. XDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
Question - I know JAG doesn't want 19's, but aren't the 668's out now on some other BMW models in 19" flavor - would they fit on the 5er?
And for you tire guys - are the blowouts b/c they are run flats with the stiff sidewall? If he switches to non runflats will that make a measurable difference?

Aceman
It’s the ultra low profile tires. In fact I get people trying to tell me that my tires are flat when they’re not.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-18-2019, 10:42 AM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,639
Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceman67 View Post
Question - I know JAG doesn't want 19's, but aren't the 668's out now on some other BMW models in 19" flavor - would they fit on the 5er?
And for you tire guys - are the blowouts b/c they are run flats with the stiff sidewall? If he switches to non runflats will that make a measurable difference?

Aceman
I have 19 inch "7" series wheels on my car. They are 1/2" wider. I also went up one tire size - 255/40-19 on front and 285/35-19 on back. Mine are "647 M" wheels.They fit great and do a better job of filling out the wheel well without looking goofy. They look like they should come from the factory.

The new 3 series has a similar looking 19" wheel option, but its going to be too small for a 5.
__________________
2017 BMW 540 M-Sport Carbon Black/Ivory
2016 Lexus GX 460---Wife's car
Bikes...2017 Yamaha FJR1300---2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT---2012 Ducati Panigale
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport

Last edited by jjsC6; 08-18-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:31 AM
aceman67 aceman67 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 452
Mein Auto: MB E500 4matic
And btw, the change in diameter messing up the speedometer shouldn't be a factor given BMW's are off from the factory!

JJSC6 - may be worth exploring using the 7's...
__________________
2012 550iX Alpine White, M-Sport, CW PKG, SAT, HUD, PREM SOUND, SUR VIEW CAMERAS
Mods: OEM Spoiler, 35% tint, Front/Rear Mud guards
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-18-2019, 03:15 PM
jjsC6 jjsC6 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,639
Mein Auto: See Sig
Here are a couple of pics. None of the pics show them very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	96515CFA-7BF9-4584-AD22-6B2B2E968B56.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	861555   Click image for larger version

Name:	632C56EC-4CF5-4A95-BE7E-4BB6AE8CED51.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	861557   Click image for larger version

Name:	21325551-2399-4D4F-9939-DBC8CE07B5FB.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	861559   Click image for larger version

Name:	6750702E-D38F-4302-A690-E2589A24ADFF.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	861561  
__________________
2017 BMW 540 M-Sport Carbon Black/Ivory
2016 Lexus GX 460---Wife's car
Bikes...2017 Yamaha FJR1300---2017 KTM 1290 Superduke GT---2012 Ducati Panigale
Previous BMW: 2012 550 M-Sport

Last edited by jjsC6; 08-18-2019 at 03:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > G30 (2017 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© 2001- VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.