2015 Z4 sDrive28i: two issues - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 07-11-2018, 09:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 sDrive28i Z4
2015 Z4 sDrive28i: two issues

Hi,

I just purchased a 2015 Z4 with 9k miles. It is in fantastic shape (I'm so psyched).

I'm having two issues:

1) I cannot get the Homelink programmed. (Note: I have a Merc and Maserati paired to my Genie IntelliG 1000 opener so I know the opener and remotes are working properly).

I press and hold the outer (1 & 3) buttons for ~20 seconds (until I see the LED flash rapidly). Then I press and hold one of the Homelink buttons (I've tried all three) and the button on my garage remote. No matter how long I hold the buttons and no matter how close/far the remote is from the Homelink buttons the LED never flashes rapidly (thus it is not learning the remote frequency). Yes, my opener uses rolling codes but I can't even get to that step.

2) I can pair Bluetooth audio devices but no audio plays through the car's sound system. I've tried two different iPhones (I was an engineer at Apple so I'm pretty confident I'm doing it correctly). ;-) That said, I paired a friend's Android phone and the result is the same: no audio even they the car is reporting that the devices have been paired for both telephone and Bluetooth audio.

I've tried re-pairing each device. I've also tried toggling between modes (Radio, Bluetooth, etc.) as a few people have suggested that helped them. No dice in my case.

I've also tried connecting a phone directly to the car via USB and there is still no audio.

I purchased the vehicle from an out-of-state BMW dealer so I'm guessing that at this point I should just take it into my local dealer for help?

And suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pic of car

Last edited by Latency; 07-11-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 sDrive28i
Congrats! I just took delivery of my 2016 last month and had the exact same two problems.

For Homelink, I followed the same procedure that you outlined above. Even though it did not confirm that it learned my remote, I pressed the LEARN button on the back of the garage door motor and then ran back to my car and pressed the Homelink button, and voila it closed/opened.

You cannot stream music via Bluetooth on our car, nor will an iPhone play music through a standard USB cable. You have to buy a Y-Cable that has the Aux/USB into Lightning in order to play music.

I bought one and now I can see artist and track info from my iPhone X when playing music. It does not show artist/track when playing Pandora or Spotify.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 04:10 PM

Hey,

Thank you for your reply!

I will definitely try your Homelink suggestion (I should have thought of that - duh).

Ok, now I'm a little confused. The BMW dealer I bought the car from (Knauz BMW, IL) said that they were able to pair an iPhone (I don't know what model) and stream Bluetooth audio in my car. They specifically told me that they tested it. I admit that I trusted my salesperson on that. I'm going to be pretty peeved if they didn't give me the correct information. I just sold a 2016 328i that definitely supported handsfree Bluetooth audio streaming.

Would you happen to have a link to the Y adaptor you mentioned? Something like this?

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2016 Z4 sDrive28i
I do not have iDrive/Navigation in my Z4. I have the BMW Professional head-unit installed. It will pair with my phone to make and receive calls, but does not stream music.

I bought the y-cable from my dealer for about $80. Hereís a link to the one I bought (no affiliation): https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...music-adapter/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Ah... ok, cool - thank you for the information. My car does have iDrive/Nav and I've found other people on the net talking about Bluetooth audio streaming in their Z4s and it does work. Phew!

Thanks for the link to the cable too!
Old 07-11-2018, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 Z4 35is
Welcome to Z4 mysteries, such as audio and garage remote issues. Hopefully you have a current combox. For the Bluetooth audio, it is not available standard. Iíve heard that there was an option to get Bluetooth audio enabled, but I have not found that written anywhere. I use a USB to lighting bolt cable to my iPhone 6S, and you can access most of your iTunes/Apple Music features. You can also get integration with Pandora, but you may need to replace your combox, if the previous owner or dealer did not upgrade it (it was end-of-lifeíd by BMW about two years ago). I know how you feel about having features on other models not available. The iDrive was actually newer in my 2013 than my 2015 Z4.

I have had the same issues with my garage door opener. I have gone to the BMW Ďgeniusí to get assistance, but they merely go thru the instructions with you. Iíve tried using the motor learn button, without success. Let me know if it works for you. I may go back and try again. Iíve been using a portable remote for the last year.

Good luck with the new ride! Nice color!

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest
Old 07-11-2018, 07:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5D 35I M Sport
Guys,
I had the same issue initially trying to pair my Z4 and I already my X5 paired to the opener. I was only able to pair one or the other, not both. I tried the learn button and your typical Home Link pairing instructions. I finally read somewhere that you need to erase/clear out the saved codes in the garage opener. I was then able to set both vehicles and problem solved.

Here's an article on erasing the stored codes:

While the universal garage door opener in your car is certainly handy, there are times that you might want to erase the codes youíve stored. You may be selling the car or trading it in. You may be moving to a new home, or handing the car down to a college age child. Hereís how you erase those codes:

1. Turn the ignition on.

2. Press both outside buttons at the same time.

3. Hold them for about 20 seconds.

4.Watch for the LEDs to flash quickly.

1. When the lights flash, let go of the buttons.

2. Verify that all codes are erased (the remote should no longer work the garage door).

Hope this helps.
Old 07-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Update:

1) I now have hands-free Bluetooth audio streaming! I took the car into the dealer today and they immediately found a fault code in the BT module. They reset the module, I paired my iPhone, and audio streaming starting working immediately. I don't see album art but I can see the current track information. I can also change tracks and control the volume without touching the phone.

2) Korny, thank you for the homelink instructions - I'm going to try that as soon as I get home.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 is
garage door

Hi here is what you do is call Genie and they have another remote that will work for your unit. The newer remote has a different level of firmware so it should work for you. I had the same problem and Genie was there to help with a fix. Larry

Last edited by mopars1964; 07-18-2018 at 10:47 AM. Reason: space in lines
Old 07-18-2018, 06:16 PM

Latency - any luck with the garage door opener? I've tried resetting my vehicle's controls, but that did not appear to make a difference.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:26 AM

Update: mopars1964's suggestion worked for me. I called Genie but my opener is out of warranty so I picked up this remote from Lowes.

My original remote used firmware version 2.0.5. The new opener has version 2.0.7.

After pairing the new remote to the head unit I was able to get the Z4's Homelink feature to pair on the first try.

It wasn't the optimal solution but having Homelink working in the Z4 was worth $34 imho (Amazon has the remote for $27 but I didn't want to wait). ;-)

Last edited by Latency; 07-19-2018 at 08:27 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 X5D 35I M Sport
Guys, did you check with Genie to see if you could erase the existing codes in the current opener?

What I'm suggesting is, once you clear the codes in the opener unit, you should then be able to either connect the Homelink in the vehicle directly or the handheld remote to the opener unit and then from the handheld remote sync it to the Homelink in the car.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by korny; 07-20-2018 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:49 AM

After a chat with a tech at my local dealer, they suggested going to homelink.com and searching for compatibility. The site is pretty simple. They basically gave the same instructions as BMW, it also suggested a bridge for compatibility with newer vehicles. With shipping and handling, it was about $35. This is supposed to act as a translator between the HomeLink controller and my opener.

I will update after itís been received and installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 AM
BMW Lover Since 1972

Mein Auto: '16-Z4 35is, '17-X3
What I discovered about the rolling code openers is that they only store a certain number of codes that they'll respond to (6?). Apparently they kick out the oldest connection code when you program a new device/car and thus you exceed the limit.

I found this out when one of my remotes stopped working right after I programmed a new BMW/Homelink to work with the opener. I had to reprogram the remote to the opener, which kicked out another car's code, and it stopped working...so I had to reprogram it.

If your remote doesn't work, then maybe you've just exceeded the opener's limit and you need to reprogram it to the opener/head. Then you can use it to program your BMW/Homelink.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2017 X5 sDrive35i
If you have paired your phone to your car, at the iDrive controller press the TELEPHONE button beside the controller. Then press the OPTION button beside the controller. Then you will see TELEPHONE checked but AUDIO not checked. Check AUDIO and your phone will stream bluetooth from your phone and play your music. NOTE: If you connect your iphone to the USB in the console it will show all your music just as your phone does, but the system will tell you that you cannot have bluetooth audio connected at the same time so if you choose to use the USB connection your bluetooth audio will be disconnected. To go back to bluetooth audio, on the buttons around the iDrive controller, press the TELEPHONE button and then the OPTIONS button and select AUDIO. Good luck! It just about drove me crazy on mine also.

Last edited by Cool1; 07-25-2018 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:32 AM

That's exactly it, Cool1. I dropped by my local dealer, who explained/demonstrated that for me. My 2013 535ix did not have this problem - I could switch between USB and Bluetooth dynamically. However, I have learned that the iDrive system in the 2015 Z4 is an older version than my previous 2013 535ix.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:48 PM

The HomeLink Compatibility Bridge is your friend! In about 10 minutes after receiving the bridge, I had my vehicle programmed to open my garage door opener.

Just go to HomeLink.com and specify your vehicle and opener, and they will provide instructions or the likelihood that youíre going to need a bridge. Cost for me, including standard shipping was ~$35.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335xi M sport
The bridge over troubled water

Indeed this is the answer. Our transmitter in a 2015 Z4 does not communicate with the newer garage openers. You buy this other gizmo and all if fine.

Also i stream music via bluetooth fine in my 2015 Z4. Never bought any cable. I have the new combox though installed free by my dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthNET View Post
The HomeLink Compatibility Bridge is your friend! In about 10 minutes after receiving the bridge, I had my vehicle programmed to open my garage door opener.

Just go to HomeLink.com and specify your vehicle and opener, and they will provide instructions or the likelihood that youíre going to need a bridge. Cost for me, including standard shipping was ~$35.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
bluetooth audio iphone, homelink, z4

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)
Today's Posts Search